Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify for the US coming end of Summer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do, and I've found it useful on trips where there is poor LTE coverage. Slacker would not work for long stretches between DC and Atlanta and between Atlanta and Orlando for lack of signal. I also like having the audio from the major TV news stations (CNN, Fox, etc.), comedy channels, morning shows.... I love slacker and use it quite a bit, but when it starts to repeat tracks too much or cut out from poor cell coverage, I'll jump over to XM. Seems to me that one is not superior to another empirically, but that the two compliment each other well.
TuneIn will get you CNN, Fox, local and national radio stations and thousands more. You'll lose Howard Stern though but it's not worth paying that price just for that.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
TuneIn will get you CNN, Fox, local and national radio stations and thousands more. You'll lose Howard Stern though but it's not worth paying that price just for that.

I think you are missing the significance of the cell phone data bit for wanting XM. Sure Tunein is awesome, but living here in the desert, I can drive hours with zero signal. I actually drive through two cell phone "holes" every day during my commute making all streaming services annoying when they cut out. The drive through the Nevada desert or out to Phoenix all involve long hauls of no cell data.

The only potential problem I see is that Tesla's implementation of Spotify will likely NOT have local storage for music, so access to your library would be dependent on a cellular or wifi signal. However, Spotify on my phone downloads music locally to my phone. I suppose if there is no signal, I could switch to my phone via Bluetooth as backup.

I think you are missing the significance of the cell phone data bit for wanting XM. Sure Tunein is awesome, but living here in the desert, I can drive hours with zero signal. I actually drive through two cell phone "holes" every day during my commute making all streaming services annoying when they cut out. The drive through the Nevada desert or out to Phoenix all involve long hauls of no cell data.
You're right, I missed that issue in the post.

I do, and I've found it useful on trips where there is poor LTE coverage. Slacker would not work for long stretches between DC and Atlanta and between Atlanta and Orlando for lack of signal. I also like having the audio from the major TV news stations (CNN, Fox, etc.), comedy channels, morning shows.... I love slacker and use it quite a bit, but when it starts to repeat tracks too much or cut out from poor cell coverage, I'll jump over to XM. Seems to me that one is not superior to another empirically, but that the two compliment each other well.

Interesting, I've done DC -> Charlotte, Charlotte -> Atlanta, Charlotte -> Orlando a couple times without 3G outages. However, I keep a USB stick in my car with my local library for the few times I do hit an outage (rarely happens). I also have Slacker and Pandora on my phone for Bluetooth streaming if VZW has service while AT&T does not.

The only potential problem I see is that Tesla's implementation of Spotify will likely NOT have local storage for music, so access to your library would be dependent on a cellular or wifi signal. However, Spotify on my phone downloads music locally to my phone. I suppose if there is no signal, I could switch to my phone via Bluetooth as backup.

Slacker on my iPhone also prefetches about 5 songs ahead, so some small holes don't cause a blip (unless I wanted to skip all 5 songs). Glad to hear Spotify could do more (if you use your own account).

Interesting, I've done DC -> Charlotte, Charlotte -> Atlanta, Charlotte -> Orlando a couple times without 3G outages. However, I keep a USB stick in my car with my local library for the few times I do hit an outage (rarely happens). I also have Slacker and Pandora on my phone for Bluetooth streaming if VZW has service while AT&T does not.

I can only speak to my experience, of course, but it happens frequently enough to warrant a backup. I don't even have strong coverage in parts of my neighborhood (metro Atlanta), and have had issues connecting to internet radio occasionally until I pull out of the neighborhood onto a cross street.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone
I can only speak to my experience, of course, but it happens frequently enough to warrant a backup. I don't even have strong coverage in parts of my neighborhood (metro Atlanta), and have had issues connecting to internet radio occasionally until I pull out of the neighborhood onto a cross street.

I don't doubt you run into dead zones (I have a few I sometimes run into as well). When you do, are they seconds - up to 5 min long, or are they more than 5 minutes long? The few I run into are small enough that 20-30 seconds later I have service again, so many times I don't notice them if the whole song already was downloaded (vs. partial downloads that do NOT restart).

I don't doubt you run into dead zones (I have a few I sometimes run into as well). When you do, are they seconds - up to 5 min long, or are they more than 5 minutes long? The few I run into are small enough that 20-30 seconds later I have service again, so many times I don't notice them if the whole song already was downloaded (vs. partial downloads that do NOT restart).

The one in my neighborhood won't work at all between the top of my street and the front of the neighborhood, but definitely less than 5 minutes. The outages we experienced driving from DC to Atlanta lasted over 5 minutes for sure. Likely longer, but we gave up on internet radio and turned on XM, so I can't say how long it persisted. Between Atlanta and Orlando, there were multiple instances of it cutting out for a few minutes at a time (probably none over 5 mins, but the frequency made it impossible to listen to), and eventually we gave up on it and switched to satellite.

• Informative
Still not Pandora... Heck, I'd be happy if Tesla could even give us an app to control Pandora on my phone over Bluetooth (ya know, like every Accord from like 2013 on can do).

Yes! I have been asking about this. I asked one of the tech guys at the 800 number and he was pretty curt and matter of fact about it not happening. I even mentioned that fact that when I rent a car, that Pandora is built in. When going to the apps screen in the S, it sure is a lonely looking screen!

I'm curious about the journey specific music recommendations.
Me too. When we drove Route 66, we made a playlist of songs that mention it. Would be neat to have something like that generated automatically. If I set course for Sausalito, would I get some Otis Redding (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay?

Here's my short review (so far) on 8.0: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1735143/
Slacker and TuneIn still there. No Spotify in US spec.
Boo. Dislike the content, not the post. :)

I'd be super excited if they just turned Spotify on without providing credentials. I can pay for my own Spotify account, I don't care, I just want it. Keep buying Slacker for everyone and make Spotify a paid option if that's what it takes.

Me too. When we drove Route 66, we made a playlist of songs that mention it. Would be neat to have something like that generated automatically. If I set course for Sausalito, would I get some Otis Redding (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay?

Boo. Dislike the content, not the post. :)

I'd be super excited if they just turned Spotify on without providing credentials. I can pay for my own Spotify account, I don't care, I just want it. Keep buying Slacker for everyone and make Spotify a paid option if that's what it takes.
I wouldn't freak out yet. I work in a similar industry and it's EXTREMELY hard to get music and other content services out to beta testers before an official contract date. It might even be infeasible for a lot of employees.

I would not be surprised if external beta testers are getting Slacker and the long term plan is to unveil Spotify soon after 8.0 then flip the switch for everyone....

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ and Gizmotoy