Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify for the US coming end of Summer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As long as I get to keep my slacker. If slacker goes away.... C'mon.... :(
Genuinely curious, is there a specific reason you prefer Slacker over Spotify? I always though Slacker was a bit lacking and erratic. You can't use the slider to fast forward or rewind, you can't go back to the previous song, and it would be playing jazz one minute and play heavy metal the next. I would ask it to play a certain artist and one or two songs later it switches to someone completely different, and sometimes in a totally different genre. The EU vehicles with Spotify have a much better UI, and I believe that Spotify has 320 kbps audio vs 128 kbps on Slacker. Not to bash on Slacker (I mean, it's free) but it is pretty wonky, especially in the music prediction aspect (unlike something like Pandora).

After nearly 3 years I gave up waiting for Spotify integration and switched to Apple Music to save some money (family plans). Figures they finally decide to go through with this.

Wonder if they'll gift us the subscriptions by replacing Slacker, or if they'll just enable the app they have in other markets to be used with our own credentials.

I think people that compare Spotify to Slacker aren't understanding that Spotify is basically like having your entire music library with you at any time. Slacker's ability to call up any song on demand is fun but the moment that song is over it just starts playing related music which is often not related to the original song at all.

With Spotify I can call up a song and play that entire artist's collection, or a particular album or even my own playlists. Spotify is essentially access to everything on demand. Slacker is not, at least on the Tesla.

I think people that compare Spotify to Slacker aren't understanding that Spotify is basically like having your entire music library with you at any time. Slacker's ability to call up any song on demand is fun but the moment that song is over it just starts playing related music which is often not related to the original song at all.

With Spotify I can call up a song and play that entire artist's collection, or a particular album or even my own playlists. Spotify is essentially access to everything on demand. Slacker is not, at least on the Tesla.

Perhaps it isn't "fun" for you but I'm not looking for the artists entire collection. I want to listen to X song so I press the button and say "play X song" and it plays it after I tap it in the search box. I also don't have an issue with what it plays next either 99% of the time as it's usually more than in the ball park per the original song.

If Spotify doesn't offer that then I have no desire to have my service switched from Slacker.

Jeff

• Disagree
Reactions: Cyclone and Mike K
Perhaps it isn't "fun" for you but I'm not looking for the artists entire collection. I want to listen to X song so I press the button and say "play X song" and it plays it after I tap it in the search box. I also don't have an issue with what it plays next either 99% of the time as it's usually more than in the ball park per the original song.

If Spotify doesn't offer that then I have no desire to have my service switched from Slacker.

Jeff

You can definitely do that, but you can also listen to whole albums instead of individual songs, which you can't do today.

Reactions: Vitaman
What might be even better is if they just fixed their browser so all these services and much more besides were available. Chrome is free.
So you mean allow streaming services via the browser? I don't know that they would want to do that unless they could limit the bitrate. Some people might abuse this and stream very high bitrate content that would chew through tons of data.

So you mean allow streaming services via the browser? I don't know that they would want to do that unless they could limit the bitrate. Some people might abuse this and stream very high bitrate content that would chew through tons of data.

Yeah this is all around a bad idea. The Spotify site (and others) are not optimized for in-car use.

There seems to be some confusion on what Spotify does. The answer is, everything. You can access just about every song/artist that you can imagine, create your own playlists, listen to other users playlists, and play full albums. Also in the app is Spotify Radio which does exactly the same thing as Slacker, except it doesn't stink.

C'mon, you don't notice that Slacker pools from like 50 songs when you select an artist??? It's terrible. Those that enjoy Slacker I assume just use it as background music. (which is TOTALLY fine) You're obviously not noticing that the same songs repeat every single day if you don't change the artist or album.

I've said it about 20 times on this board but the lack of Spotify is the one issue I have with my Model S. Bring it on.

I paid for the upgraded audio in my MX and am aggravated by the poor sound quality of Slacker compared to HD FM radio. Maybe it would be less noticeable with the standard audio, but it is horribly obvious with the high fidelity system, and I am not even an audiophile.

Hopefully Spotify has a higher bit rate.