Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify from rear seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am enjoying my MY so far. The only annoying thing is that passengers in the rear seats ask me (or the passenger in the front seat) to search for music in Spotify.
Is there a way for passengers in the rear seats to control the music (specifically Spotify) themselves - either an app or something else?

I know having Spotify on phone and streaming via Bluetooth is an option, but I can't make use of the Spotify premium that comes with the car (premium connectivity) and I hate to hear ads in between!

I am enjoying my MY so far. The only annoying thing is that passengers in the rear seats ask me (or the passenger in the front seat) to search for music in Spotify.
Is there a way for passengers in the rear seats to control the music (specifically Spotify) themselves - either an app or something else?
Don't have my M3 yet, so just spitballing... Does the car act as a playback device in Spotify like other devices do (Echo, PC etc)? If so, if the passenger is logged into the same account on their phone they should be able to control the music playing in the car. I do this all the time at home; change or skip tracks/playlist from my phone while the playback device is my lounge system, for example.

It works for anyone logged into the same account in most instances. If someone in the house starts Spotify on an Echo device while I'm using it in the car it will change my track... Annoying but amusing in moderation!

I know having Spotify on phone and streaming via Bluetooth is an option, but I can't make use of the Spotify premium that comes with the car (premium connectivity) and I hate to hear ads in between!
Spotify music searching is one of the things that works well with voice control so might save tapping away at the screen.

Don't have my M3 yet, so just spitballing... Does the car act as a playback device in Spotify like other devices do (Echo, PC etc)? If so, if the passenger is logged into the same account on their phone they should be able to control the music playing in the car. I do this all the time at home; change or skip tracks/playlist from my phone while the playback device is my lounge system, for example.

It works for anyone logged into the same account in most instances. If someone in the house starts Spotify on an Echo device while I'm using it in the car it will change my track... Annoying but amusing in moderation!
Yep, it works exactly like that - I've found it pretty useful!
However, I'm not sure if it's possible to log into the Tesla Spotify account on a different device...

As far as I have seen so far, there is no explicit login associated with the Tesla Spotify account that comes with the car. So I will have to either use the free account with ads etc. or buy a Spotify premium separately to be able to do that.

Can someone confirm for me if you do have premium connectivity that spotify is ad-free? I think being plagued with ads would cause me to lose will to live.

I'd assume if it is add free you can't use the spotify account elsewhere (mobile etc)..

Can someone confirm for me if you do have premium connectivity that spotify is ad-free? I think being plagued with ads would cause me to lose will to live.

I'd assume if it is add free you can't use the spotify account elsewhere (mobile etc)..

You do not even need to keep premium connectivity for this.

Spotify continues to work (ad-free) in the car if you use a phone hotspot for internet and even after premium connectivity ends or you unsubscribe.

Spotify continues to work (ad-free) in the car if you use a phone hotspot for internet and even after premium connectivity ends or you unsubscribe.
I've always found phone hotspots are a huge pain to use regularly. They're ok for occasional use but it would really p*ss me off to have to mess around with getting my phone to connect if it's not 100% reliable in getting the car online without needing to do anything. One of the best things about the car (and my previous ID.3) is that I can get in & just drive without any faffing around.

Does anyone use a phone hotspot in their car and can confirm it just works every time they get in with no intervention? I'd possibly be inclined to try it if the consensus is that it works properly in a Tesla.

I've always found phone hotspots are a huge pain to use regularly. They're ok for occasional use but it would really p*ss me off to have to mess around with getting my phone to connect if it's not 100% reliable in getting the car online without needing to do anything. One of the best things about the car (and my previous ID.3) is that I can get in & just drive without any faffing around.

Does anyone use a phone hotspot in their car and can confirm it just works every time they get in with no intervention? I'd possibly be inclined to try it if the consensus is that it works properly in a Tesla.
Generally it's an issue when your phone is connecting to wifi already, certainly iPhones can't be a hotspot and wifi client at the same time, unless you go to the hotspot screen and turn it on and off which disconnects from wifi. So even if configured as a hotspot your phone won't operate as one until some time after you leave the range of your home wifi.

So even if configured as a hotspot your phone won't operate as one until some time after you leave the range of your home wifi.
Yeah, that's a big no for my usage then. I have wifi boosters outside for my cameras and gate bell at the top of my drive. It would drive me mad to have to wait for that to drop off before I get any connectivity to the car. Spotify streaming is pretty much all I ever have on in the car, or Caraoke if my daughter's with me.

It may depend upon the phone. But with my Pixel 5 it works perfectly everytime for me.

I ticked the box on the Tesla WiFi settings to remain connected in drive.

Just make sure the phone hotspot is set to 2.4ghz (sometimes called legacy or extend compatibility).

An app such a Tasker allows turning on the hotspot with Bluetooth connection to the car, this works well.

If you have an issue with a different phone, might be worth asking if anyone else uses the same setup.