Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify hangs Media Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An update:

After moving to 2019.32.12.2, it's not better. It might be worse? As soon as I get in the car, Spotify is misbehaving in all sorts of ways that are hard to exhaustively explain. I eventually got it to work again without reboot after being parked, driving, and fiddling with it some more via play/pause/next and it finally loaded the current track.

A bit unfortunate, I'm glad none of us are paying for premium connectivity yet.

EDIT: Also, the streaming quality is really not good. It's better than radio. It's not better than Google Play over Bluetooth from my phone.

Last edited:
Just to fill everyone in - I've had Spotify on my model S since v8.0 (3 years now) and the experience is almost exactly the same. The hanging isn't new or something recently introduced. You basically have to reset MCU and sometimes toggle between radio, recently played songs, and the Spotify app to get it to come alive again. That's how its been.

• Helpful
Reactions: malou
Spoke too soon. Media center still hangs on Spotify, sometimes. Not as bad as it used to be, but still annoying.
Need to Tweet Elon, thank him for video games, Sentry mode, dog mode, joe mode, but maybe it would be money better spent to focus on fixing the media issues.
I see this as a safety problem; i.e. if I'm trying to fix a hung media center instead of watching the road....

Do you all agree??? Send him a Tweet.

I’ve found that when it hangs if you hit the little reload circle on the cover art it will usually work. If that doesn’t hitting skip using the steering wheel button will usually get it going. If you touch the pause button or skip buttons on screen all bets are off

Someone else suggested that removing Spotify from your other devices solves the problem, if you are on a family plan create a seperate login just for your car, seems to solve most of the hanging problems, did this a couple of days ago and haven't had a freeze yet.

While annoying...toggling from Spotify to Streaming, and back to Spotify always makes Spotify work again for me if it’s hanging. No need to reboot.
Yes, had our Model 3 for a month or so and have found it ironic that a vehicle of this technical sophistication cant play Spotify without hanging 70%+ of the time (my wife was especially irritated and perplexed by this). Also dIscovered that toggling between the Streaming and Spotify menu fixes it most of the time. Although Spotify wasnt supported natively on the GUI before V10, I had no issues using Spotify through the phone via Bluetooth prior to V10 but after the update, both Spotify on the phone via Bluetooth and the native Spotify Tesla app had the hanging issue (which I assume is software related that Tesla will get around to fixing it some day hopefully sooner than later). In the meantime, thankfully overall the positives far outweigh the negatives on the M3 which is always good to keep in perspective. Other things that are strange is that although we have two profiles both linked to separate keys on our phone, 90% of the time the Tesla always defaults to my profile (even when my wife was the last one driving the car and goes to drive it again using her phone as the key and I am know where near the car). I tell her not to take it personally LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kennymb5384
Yes, had our Model 3 for a month or so and have found it ironic that a vehicle of this technical sophistication cant play Spotify without hanging 70%+ of the time (my wife was especially irritated and perplexed by this). Also dIscovered that toggling between the Streaming and Spotify menu fixes it most of the time. Although Spotify wasnt supported natively on the GUI before V10, I had no issues using Spotify through the phone via Bluetooth prior to V10 but after the update, both Spotify on the phone via Bluetooth and the native Spotify Tesla app had the hanging issue (which I assume is software related that Tesla will get around to fixing it some day hopefully sooner than later). In the meantime, thankfully overall the positives far outweigh the negatives on the M3 which is always good to keep in perspective. Other things that are strange is that although we have two profiles both linked to separate keys on our phone, 90% of the time the Tesla always defaults to my profile (even when my wife was the last one driving the car and goes to drive it again using her phone as the key and I am know where near the car). I tell her not to take it personally LOL.

For real! My car can drive me around, but can’t figure out when it needs to use the auto windshield wipers!? lol at least the pros outweigh the cons!

While annoying...toggling from Spotify to Streaming, and back to Spotify always makes Spotify work again for me if it’s hanging. No need to reboot.

yes, this works perfectly and it boggles my mind that it seems like a lot of people have given up on Spotify because they didn’t utilize this simple fix. Annoying but works.

Also, sometimes songs may fail to load because another device of yours somewhere else is already playing music using the same account. My wife was somewhere playing music on her phone. I had to drive her X and couldn’t figure out for the life of me why everything was failing to load. Then it dawned on me that she was probably playing music as well. Called her to confirm and sure enough that’s what happened.

Reactions: Kennymb5384
yes, this works perfectly and it boggles my mind that it seems like a lot of people have given up on Spotify because they didn’t utilize this simple fix. Annoying but works.

Doesn't work for me.

Using two different account is also a no go for me, as my playlists will never be in sync between the two account. Spotify is all about playback continuity. If I listen to something in the office, it should continue in the car, then continue when I get home. That's something yoou get when using Bluetooth in the car, but not when using in-car streaming, as the device handoff is broken in Tesla implementation.

Reactions: Nels
Screen freezing couple of times in last two weeks. Once when we were listening to Spotify the screen went blank (black), and same issue the second time after turning on FM radio. Luckily the car was parked both times. The screen froze and took five minutes to reboot the first time. Second time screen came back in a minute.