Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify in Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should make a on request update feature, just like the iOS update that everyone can trigger the download as their wish.

Perhaps they want to control the download, and order and rate at which people get it? That way, they can detect problems with the roll-out and stop/limit as necessary (witness the rumoured issue with the S70 cars being shown as S60 in this update, and the associated halt of updates to S70 cars).

They don't do this because of server loads. It usually takes a few weeks for everyone to get it.

frankly I don't think it can be the excuse of Tesla. Apple has roughly thousands times of devices than Tesla, and they can cater the bandwidth and server very well so that most ppl can update their devices at day 1. There are 'just' 100k model S on the road and this number is ignorable comparing to Apple. If Tesla's ambition is to build connected cars and networks, server loading is a stone to fix.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps they want to control the download, and order and rate at which people get it? That way, they can detect problems with the roll-out and stop/limit as necessary (witness the rumoured issue with the S70 cars being shown as S60 in this update, and the associated halt of updates to S70 cars).

I wish they using this approach Bcoz the concern on capacity on customer service, but again, this is also an issue they gotta cater for their growth

Received the update on 13th in the afternoon on my S70, received another update tonight to fix the showing S60 issue

Last night I went down to my car and reboot the system and then tethered it to my phone for a while. Went back to my apartment and then 1 hour later, I finally get the notification that the software is available. Its all done but I have not yet had a chance to have a play with it. Will keep you posted.

The thing I keep thinking about is Spotify. It comes with its own free account but both my wife and I have premium spotify accounts. So I essentially have 3 choices:

1) Use the Tesla free account. Problem with that is I would have to set up playlists from scratch which would be time consuming and would need to keep doing that to synch it with other playlists. The benefit is that its its own account so will not get kicked out.

2) Use my account. Problem with that is that every time my wife uses the car (which is most of the time) and uses the spotify, I would automatically get logged out of my spotify on my cell phone.

3) Use my wife's account. Same problem in reverse.

A good feature (although I don't think its part of this software update) is if you could use 2 different accounts. So when I drive the car, my account falls under my driver profile and then my wife's account is used when her driver profile is selected.

Last night I went down to my car and reboot the system and then tethered it to my phone for a while. Went back to my apartment and then 1 hour later, I finally get the notification that the software is available. Its all done but I have not yet had a chance to have a play with it. Will keep you posted.

The thing I keep thinking about is Spotify. It comes with its own free account but both my wife and I have premium spotify accounts. So I essentially have 3 choices:

1) Use the Tesla free account. Problem with that is I would have to set up playlists from scratch which would be time consuming and would need to keep doing that to synch it with other playlists. The benefit is that its its own account so will not get kicked out.

2) Use my account. Problem with that is that every time my wife uses the car (which is most of the time) and uses the spotify, I would automatically get logged out of my spotify on my cell phone.

3) Use my wife's account. Same problem in reverse.

A good feature (although I don't think its part of this software update) is if you could use 2 different accounts. So when I drive the car, my account falls under my driver profile and then my wife's account is used when her driver profile is selected.

Good point. I was pretty surprised they gave us premium spotify accounts and we don't need to pay.

Just installed the update last night but no chance to try it yet, but as a long time spotify user its been really annoying not to have a explicit filter button. I just couldn't use spotify with kids in car or have to be really quick on the skip button. It's really annoying and distracting.

BTW i made a separate post of model S forum Spotify and Explicit songs

I have the software update installed. Overall its great to have spotify in the car. However, I noticed a few glitches.

First of all NOT ALL of my playlists are available in the car for some strange reason. Also it can lag a bit before playing a song.

One other thing I noticed (I have a non AP car), where is the odometer now? It doesn't seem to be on the dash.

I THINK they have that. I see when I select my driver profile I can enter my own premium spotify user name and PW...so I assume if you have multiple profiles, each can enter their own account.

I have not tried this as I'm the only driver but my guess is it works with multiple accounts..

Good luck.

Just want to get help on how to create new playlist in Spotify. It seems all my selected songs are dumped into a generic playlist.

Its a good question. I tried playing around with the free Tesla account and couldn't seem to do it. You can follow public playlists but for some reason I couldn't create my own within the car. If you have your own account, its best to do it on your phone or computer. But I still can't figure out why only some of my playlists show up in the car - and when I select albums or artists its blank which is strange.

Clearly, their first implementation of Spotify leaves a lot to be desired. Look forward to another update which refines it. I suspect that will happen once they have the licence to roll it out in the USA (which I think is a matter of time). US customers will complain with the way Spotify is currently implemented in the vehicle.

Got a problem, happened twice so far. All saved albums went missing from the saved album list, even when the albums are still ticked as saved. Have to un-save and re-save for them to show up again in the list. Searched online, said this happened to iOS system and got fix after iOS update. Any one have the same problem?

Got a problem, happened twice so far. All saved albums went missing from the saved album list, even when the albums are still ticked as saved. Have to un-save and re-save for them to show up again in the list. Searched online, said this happened to iOS system and got fix after iOS update. Any one have the same problem?

you are not alone. All songs saved in my library are gone 3 times somehow. Seems it is a bug. To restore your songs, I find you got to log out and log in again.

Last edited:
Try to Log Out and Log In back again .... All saved song should be back there !! Just needed to refresh it and all saved songs should appear again !!

Spotify seems quite buggy at the moment. Better than nothing, but still needs a lot of improvements. Here are the things that don't work well yet (note that I have a paid subscription, not using Tesla's free account):

1. When switching media source using the right scroll wheel to Spotify, nothing happens.
2. When searching using voice commands, nothing happens (have to use the touch screen to go from "now playing" to "browse", then the search results show up.
3. Doesn't synch stations (if you have a paid Spotify subscriptions). But it synchs playlists, artists, and songs nicely.
4. Spotify kicks me out regularly (not every day, but at least once every 2 or 3 days)

Not really bugs, but improvement opportunities, compared to the iphone app:
1. When listening to stations, can't "like" or "dislike" songs to improve the station.
2. Since you can't "like", the playlist "liked from radio" doesn't get updated like it would from the iphone.
3. pressing the "+" sign when playing stations will simply add the song to my songs - I would then have to find it in another app and add it to whatever playlist I chose.

Like I said, better than nothing, but still lot's of possibilities to make the Spotify experience in a Tesla better than it is right now.

Model S 90D, titanium, delivered 10/28/2015.

My biggest gripe at the moment is that when you restart the car the Spotify player does not play - it shows on the display where it was at switch off, but it doesn't play and pressing pause and play or next track generally doesn't get it going. If you are playing an artist radio then even reselecting that artist radio does not start playback - you have to click something else like a song then back onto artist radio and it then works.

Also there's no "now playing" option so if playing an album or just the list of tracks for an artist you see them as long as you don't leave that view - which is part of the browse view - but leave it and I can't find a way back to it.

I'm using the free account (UK) at the moment.

I'm not sure whether it's worth paying for premium as I already have Napster for my Sonos players in the house.

You can add tracks, albums, artist radios etc to the Spotify favourites on screen but it's a bit odd the way they don't fully integrate with the Tesla audio system favourites. Took me a while to work that out!

Something really bothers me is that I didn't make any playlist but added songs into the list...after a few days those added songs will disappear and says unable to show songs? Just wondering how to log out on the tesla screen and log back in again?