TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Spotify in the United States

Discussion in 'Model S' started by byan1232, Jan 31, 2016.

1. byan1232

byan1232 Member

Hey guys, I was wondering with update 7.1 spotify is available in many countries except the United States. I was wondering if anyone knows any information regarding why the U.S does not receive this update. Also if we will be getting it soon.

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Spotify only became available in certain countries when the original streaming service that Tesla used there shut down. No one knows for sure, but it seems likely that Tesla's contract with Slacker is exclusive in the U.S.

3. byan1232

byan1232 Member

Oh I actually didn't know that about tesla. Still kind of new to the forums. Do you know where I can find a complete features overview about the tesla? much appreciated :D

4. sataponw

sataponw Member

Not just US we get Slacker in Canada too... I would prefer Spotify more though.

5. Haggy

Haggy Member

I'd prefer a web browser that let me stream so I could use any service I wanted.

6. the_donjuan

the_donjuan Member

Leveraging apps would be the way to go. That web browser is so clunky, I couldn't imagine how many patches it would need to be resourceful for streaming.

7. An2532

An2532 Member

This would be great, but imagine how much data would be used in order to stream music to the car. Tesla's 3G bill would run them out of business, unless they turned the cost over to us.

I had a Tesla rep mention to me that the current Tesla agreement with Slacker in North America ends in the summer of this year, and to his knowledge the agreement still has not been renewed. I hope that the success of Spotify in other countries would lead them to really consider leaving Slacker for Spotify in the US

8. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

The current streaming services stream over 3G/4G now. Slacker/TuneIn/etc.

9. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Elon announced last week that they are abandoning any efforts towards a SDK and will not be going in the direction of apps. Instead, they are going to allow owners to "project" their smartphone apps to the center display. Sounds like CarPlay. It also sounds like a missed opportunity.

10. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

11. byan1232

byan1232 Member

This would be an amazing addition to the Model S/X. Is this a twitter post or something?

12. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

13. Father Bill

Father Bill Member

A blogger on cleantechnica took a screen shot of a couple of service screens while a ranger was doing a repair at his house. In one of the screens it had a Spotify test app. Maybe it will be coming to US soon...

Peace,

Father Bill

14. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor