Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify in the United States

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I was wondering with update 7.1 spotify is available in many countries except the United States. I was wondering if anyone knows any information regarding why the U.S does not receive this update. Also if we will be getting it soon.

Spotify only became available in certain countries when the original streaming service that Tesla used there shut down. No one knows for sure, but it seems likely that Tesla's contract with Slacker is exclusive in the U.S.

Oh I actually didn't know that about tesla. Still kind of new to the forums. Do you know where I can find a complete features overview about the tesla? much appreciated :D

I'd prefer a web browser that let me stream so I could use any service I wanted.

This would be great, but imagine how much data would be used in order to stream music to the car. Tesla's 3G bill would run them out of business, unless they turned the cost over to us.

I had a Tesla rep mention to me that the current Tesla agreement with Slacker in North America ends in the summer of this year, and to his knowledge the agreement still has not been renewed. I hope that the success of Spotify in other countries would lead them to really consider leaving Slacker for Spotify in the US

This would be great, but imagine how much data would be used in order to stream music to the car. Tesla's 3G bill would run them out of business, unless they turned the cost over to us.

I had a Tesla rep mention to me that the current Tesla agreement with Slacker in North America ends in the summer of this year, and to his knowledge the agreement still has not been renewed. I hope that the success of Spotify in other countries would lead them to really consider leaving Slacker for Spotify in the US

The current streaming services stream over 3G/4G now. Slacker/TuneIn/etc.

Leveraging apps would be the way to go. That web browser is so clunky, I couldn't imagine how many patches it would need to be resourceful for streaming.

Elon announced last week that they are abandoning any efforts towards a SDK and will not be going in the direction of apps. Instead, they are going to allow owners to "project" their smartphone apps to the center display. Sounds like CarPlay. It also sounds like a missed opportunity.