Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify integration (and now whole audio source system) - still a pile of crap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was really excited when it was announced that they would add spotify. I have the paid account and use it all the time on my phone and PC with no real problems. But in my car, it's just plain awful.

It's gone through some changes in just how crappy it is, but it has consistently been crappy from day one. Currently, if I've parked my car for more than a few hours and get in it to drive, about half the time it will come up with the "no connectivity" error. That usually goes away fairly quickly and if I had been playing spotify when I last parked it will start to play again. It will play 1-2 songs and then stop. Every time. I used to be able to switch to FM and back to Spotify to fix this, but now it locks me out of changing the audio source completely. No FM. No Slacker. No Tunein. No Bluetooth. I have to sit there in silence until it decides to start playing again. If I hit any buttons at this time (skip song, FM, Slacker, etc), it saves them up and once it comes back alive it will sequence through all the buttons that were pressed. Now this is usually 3-5 minutes, but it has remained stuck for whole drives of 20 minutes or more. After it gets back to slacker it comes back to the same song every time. Since I don't want to listen to the same song every time I drive I click it ahead and it may or may not get stuck again for a few additional minutes. Once I get past this it will play OK except it likes to repeat songs. Sometimes it will go back 3 songs and start over. Other times it is 5. Maybe even 20 or more, forcing me to click the scroll wheel ahead until I come to a new song - I swear I'm going to wear out that scroll wheel.

Now this has been so aggravating that I tried to go back to Slacker. I like Spotify better, but Slacker never gave me problems in the car - until recently. Now it will sometimes freeze up the system also.

On top of that Tunein seems to give loading errors on the regular now. It's never been perfect, but there are some channels there that I don't even try any more.

I had it in for service in early May for HW3 and asked them to look at it. They said they were on the phone with the mothership for quite a while but couldn't find an error. They told me that it would be addressed in a software update "soon", but I have yet to see any improvement. I've chatted with support and they just suggested a full reboot, which I've tried several times with no luck. I do have over 9000 songs in my account, but I've tried smaller playlists and have had them bomb out too.

So the question is, does anyone else have these kind of problems? I remember hearing some people reporting issues early on, but haven't heard anything like this in quite some time. I love the car, but this is just so frustrating.

Reactions: Glamisduner
I used to get that "connectivity error"often but I don't think I've seen it for months now. The car's Spotify app mostly bugs me for not being feature-complete compared to the Android & PC versions so that's merely a niggle compared to the hassles you're seeing,

I rarely use Tunein and we don't get slacker here so I can't comment on the other points you've made sorry.

Wow your system sounds so messed up. I'm assuming you've restarted the mcu? It sounds like mcu problem for the lag/stalls you described.

Spotify in car follows the recent app repeat function. For me mine was repeating songs for a long time until I saw my Android app had it on repeat single song. Also some have used the web browser in car to manage their Spotify song controls instead.

For me, I have none of the described issue.

I can suggest
1) rebooting your mcu
2) log out and log back into Spotify.

It took them some 7-8 years to get the usb audio system working at least passably in the model S, and even in the model 3s it has only worked acceptably for the last few months. So you're most likely going to have to give them a few years to work out the bugs. Anything audio related is very low on their priority list.

i’m not sure what i’m using but the voice search for streaming songs works wonderfully now where in the past it didn’t work.... so i consider that an improvement. Thank god they can update these cars...

I have a different issue. Spotify will only play one song and then loop when listening to a playlist (it's not set to do so, the repeat function does nothing since all it can do now is repeat). It used to work much better, but now I have to manually change songs from the touchscreen (steering wheel control won't change it either)? You gotta be kidding me.

I have a different issue. Spotify will only play one song and then loop when listening to a playlist (it's not set to do so, the repeat function does nothing since all it can do now is repeat). It used to work much better, but now I have to manually change songs from the touchscreen (steering wheel control won't change it either)? You gotta be kidding me.
This happened to me because my app was set to repeat on my phone. I figured it out and turned it off. There's no way to repeat on the in-car spotify app anyways. Also I recommend trying to load up spotify.com on the web browser in car and see if you can control things that way.

• Informative
Reactions: Glamisduner
This happened to me because my app was set to repeat on my phone. I figured it out and turned it off. There's no way to repeat on the in-car spotify app anyways. Also I recommend trying to load up spotify.com on the web browser in car and see if you can control things that way.
Thanks I checked my phone and my computer too and it is not set. So I'm not sure what the issue is.

You mean you don't spend your free time in the car playing with the screen and enjoying music? I mean, some times I go to my garage just to caress the sexy lines.
I mean I used to drive allot, now I just work from home. Haven't washed the car since Early March / Feb. I used to wash it like every 2 weeks!. Also the 100 deg weather isn't motivating me to do a wash.

The only spotify issue i've run into is if i put a song on repeat on my phone it will cause all songs in the car to do that even if it's not selected until i go back into the app, back to the very same song i put on repeat and deselect it.