Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify on computer and car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
I decided to bite the bullet and sign up for Spotify since using Apple Music over BT in a Tesla is a royal PITA. It works fine, but I discovered an issue last night- My wife was trying to listen in our Tesla and I was at home working on my laptop. When I opened up the Spotify app on my laptop it took over the playback in our car. WTF??? I looked in the settings and can't find anything about this. Is there any way to tun this 'feature' off?

You are only allowed to listen in one place at a time. If you signed up for an individual spotify account, no there isnt any way to turn that off. If you signed up for a family plan spotify, and still have licenses left (I think the family plan allows 5?) then you can create an account just for the car.

Otherwise, no, and blame people who would try to have an entire family share one account for the reason you can only listen to one stream at a time.

You are only allowed to listen in one place at a time. If you signed up for an individual spotify account, no there isnt any way to turn that off. If you signed up for a family plan spotify, and still have licenses left (I think the family plan allows 5?) then you can create an account just for the car.

Otherwise, no, and blame people who would try to have an entire family share one account for the reason you can only listen to one stream at a time.
But if I use a separate login for the car, that means playlists, etc will also be separate, right? That eliminates the main reason I wanted to use Spotify.

I wish Tesla would get with the program and allow CarPlay like every other manufacturer.

Reactions: SWIPE
I've got a Spotify family plan. I have my own login, my wife has hers, and our kids have theirs. Each person should have their own login.
I am logged in to my Spotify acct in the Tesla, my phone, and my laptop. My playlists, etc show up on all of my devices. They're tied to the login.

Yeah thats how it works. The OP is complaining because "their" spotify login is in the car, and someone else was driving it (and likely using spotify to listen to music) then they tried to listen to their account at home / work on another device. It will tell you "playing on another device" and not allow that.

I have had that happen when my wife and I swap cars for some reason.

OP, as I said, its pretty clear to see why this is, otherwise a person could purchase one account and share it with any number of other people (and only pay once, or split the small fee multiple ways).

I just read that the latest software update, 2022.16.0.2, will allow you to use a different Spotify login for each driver profile.

So, if you have a family account, each driver should not step on another family member listening somewhere else.

(Note: I just downloaded 2022.12.3.12, so I have not tested this personally yet.)

Yeah thats how it works. The OP is complaining because "their" spotify login is in the car, and someone else was driving it (and likely using spotify to listen to music) then they tried to listen to their account at home / work on another device. It will tell you "playing on another device" and not allow that.

I have had that happen when my wife and I swap cars for some reason.

OP, as I said, its pretty clear to see why this is, otherwise a person could purchase one account and share it with any number of other people (and only pay once, or split the small fee multiple ways).
Yeah, I get why Spotify does it- they don’t want to be like Netflix that has about accounts covering the entire college campus. It’s just frustrating that it has to be so convoluted just to get close to what I had before. I’m used to CarPlay in our other cars where I plug my phone in and it works. Everything moves automatically, I can see which podcasts I‘ve listened to, automatically resume an audio book, etc. With Tesla I have to pay for the Tesla data plan, then pay for a spotify family plan, then manage separate accounts, sharing play lists, etc. at it still doesn’t quite get to where I was before. On top of that, the Spotify interface has been buggy.

Tesla‘s are great cars in a lot of ways, but this isn’t one of them. :/

I have learned to love the Spotify family plan (or duo plan if it is just you and your wife). My tastes in music are different than my wife’s and daughter’s tastes. Tailoring my favorites to my tastes allows Spotify to craft playlists for me and play the music I want to hear when I’m in my car. And I understand the latest Tesla software release will allow different Spotify accounts for different drivers, so my wife can listen to her music when she’s driving. You can easily share playlists between accounts so no issues there.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I just read that the latest software update, 2022.16.0.2, will allow you to use a different Spotify login for each driver profile.

So, if you have a family account, each driver should not step on another family member listening somewhere else.

(Note: I just downloaded 2022.12.3.12, so I have not tested this personally yet.)

This is the answer. I have Spotify Duo and have two accounts linked. I haven’t set up this feature yet, but seems like it should work For your complaint.

Reactions: sleepydoc
oh man i hope i can find it...
I found it. Never would have thought to look there.

Ok - now another question - how do you log in to a separate account on the Tesla? I switched my Spotify account to a family account and created a separate profile with a different email address but I can't log in to on the Tesla screen. The regular log in works fine and I can log in to the new account on my computer. ideas?

Yeah, I get why Spotify does it- they don’t want to be like Netflix that has about accounts covering the entire college campus. It’s just frustrating that it has to be so convoluted just to get close to what I had before. I’m used to CarPlay in our other cars where I plug my phone in and it works. Everything moves automatically, I can see which podcasts I‘ve listened to, automatically resume an audio book, etc. With Tesla I have to pay for the Tesla data plan, then pay for a spotify family plan, then manage separate accounts, sharing play lists, etc. at it still doesn’t quite get to where I was before. On top of that, the Spotify interface has been buggy.

Tesla‘s are great cars in a lot of ways, but this isn’t one of them. :/
But even with carplay you will STILL have this issue? Because you're using the same account as your wife's... no matter what device you use you can only use your spotify at one device at once

I found it. Never would have thought to look there.

Ok - now another question - how do you log in to a separate account on the Tesla? I switched my Spotify account to a family account and created a separate profile with a different email address but I can't log in to on the Tesla screen. The regular log in works fine and I can log in to the new account on my computer. ideas?
Ok this is the dumb part LOL. You have to navigate to a playlist (any) and THEN scroll down and you'll see log out option. It doesn't appear on the main landing page.

But even with carplay you will STILL have this issue? Because you're using the same account as your wife's... no matter what device you use you can only use your spotify at one device at once
No with CarPlay I'd be using Apple Music and wouldn't have the issue.

Ok this is the dumb part LOL. You have to navigate to a playlist (any) and THEN scroll down and you'll see log out option. It doesn't appear on the main landing page.
Thanks - I figured out how to log out, I was having trouble logging in with the separate account. Turns out that you have to first create the separate account, then link it to the original family account. I did the first step, but not the second one. After I connected the 2nd account to my family account I could log in and it worked fine.