Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify on version 9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've also been having problems with Spotify, especially after periods of no mobile coverage (e.g. parked underground). On previous releases it was usually fixed with a reboot, but on v9 it seems even multiple reboots don't help.
My Model-S on 2018.42.3 eb373a0 can't go two days without not being able to log in. I disconnected it from the WiFi thinking that might have been the problem but it changed nothing, even with constant 3G connection I can't log in using the cars account or my own. Just keeping my fingers crossed they get enough feedback that it is not working and another update rolls out soon.

My Model-S on 2018.42.3 eb373a0 can't go two days without not being able to log in. I disconnected it from the WiFi thinking that might have been the problem but it changed nothing, even with constant 3G connection I can't log in using the cars account or my own. Just keeping my fingers crossed they get enough feedback that it is not working and another update rolls out soon.
I think this has happened to lots of owners, as it did to me about a year ago. It seems to be random and affects individual users/cars or sometimes groups. I would log a ticket with Tesla.

Tesla often have an over-the-air patch for certain known gremlins. They understandably wont admit that there is a known problem, and they wont send the patch to your car unless you tell them there is a problem. So to new owners my advice is get to know your local service guy (they all seem exceptional), and if you have an issue get on the phone, because the problem might be all fixed within the hour without even leaving your driveway.

Well my car is with them at the moment for a suspension issue, but late Friday I got a notification on my phone saying an update was available. Not sure if they initiated that at the service centre or just pure coincidence. I didn't proceed with it because I didn't want to mess with the car while it was there but I'm hoping that Tesla fixed the Spotify bug and because that was something I mentioned when I dropped it off they pushed it through right away.

Well my car is with them at the moment for a suspension issue, but late Friday I got a notification on my phone saying an update was available. Not sure if they initiated that at the service centre or just pure coincidence. I didn't proceed with it because I didn't want to mess with the car while it was there but I'm hoping that Tesla fixed the Spotify bug and because that was something I mentioned when I dropped it off they pushed it through right away.
Yes thats the patch that I mentioned. Never put up with problems, because the chances are there is an easy fix requiring a simple phone call. The good thing about aussie cars is we are weeks behind the US on releases, so they know about issues and have a solution well before we experience the problem.

Reactions: P100D_Me
Spotify hasn’t been able to log in for me since shortly after getting 2018.42.2. I called service. As folks have described, a known problem that affects a few cars unpredictably. Very pesky. Suggested possible fixes included: steering wheel button reset; steering wheel button + brake pedal reset; turning car off then on again; selecting a different language for the manual; wait for a software update.

My solution? Ignore Spotify for now and use Apple Music. ‘Hey Siri, it doesn’t matter what I ask for as you’ll play something completely different that I don’t like’.

Spotify hasn’t been able to log in for me since shortly after getting 2018.42.2. I called service. As folks have described, a known problem that affects a few cars unpredictably. Very pesky. Suggested possible fixes included: steering wheel button reset; steering wheel button + brake pedal reset; turning car off then on again; selecting a different language for the manual; wait for a software update.

My solution? Ignore Spotify for now and use Apple Music. ‘Hey Siri, it doesn’t matter what I ask for as you’ll play something completely different that I don’t like’.

Seems you are in the UK? Don’t steal our Aussie service tech’s, as they would never let such an issue linger, especially when a fix is available.

• Funny
Reactions: PrGrPa
Seems you are in the UK? Don’t steal our Aussie service tech’s, as they would never let such an issue linger, especially when a fix is available.
In the UK indeed.

I do have an update though.
First, after my SO had driven the car with her profile and I got in with my profile Spotify was back.
Second, just got a notification that a software update is available. Not sure which version.

Spotify takes an awfully long time to show the playlists on my own Spotify account, the old problem where it inadequately buffers in less than perfect 3G reception is back, my Apple Watch often indicates that my Tesla Spotify playlists are still playing long after I've exited the car.

I've been a Tesla owner long enough to know that these problems will all be fixed in a future update, then all return in an update after that!

• Funny
Reactions: PrGrPa
I too have version 9 on a S. Specifically va9.0(2018.48.12.1.xxxx). Spotify is a disaster on it. Even more so than on version 8. Many lockups of the screen/MFD and countless "Loading..." infinite loops. On the rare occasion it gives you an error message then the message will contain zero useful information. Mostly it just says "try again".

It is unclear where the fault(s) lay. Maybe Tesla C code, maybe Spotify, maybe non-rigorous interface between the two. Definitely non-rigorous handling of varying 3G signal strength. Two bars is not good enough and often 3 bars. Sometimes in a city you have 4 bars but still Spotify is stuffed whilst TuneIn works.

Bugs like this can distract a driver and thus compromise safety. You have to avoid fiddling with it whilst driving. All due to woeful software quality validation, and highly suggestive of Tesla's source code being "spaghetti" C code.

Many bugs are solid-ON. In other words the exact same sequence of user selections will result in the same problem every time. Others are more horoscope-like.

Obviously behaviour (perfect/bugs) "should" be identical between vehicles running the exact same release variant.

I hope the US drivers will "be careful what you wish for" apropos Spotify replacing Slacker.

And the rest of version 9 is a disaster too. Slow/missing manual pages, failure to bring up reversing camera when going to R (under various scenarios), and the "nav screen whether you want it or not". Erratic Bluetooth connectivity.

R6.

I too am on 2018.48.12.1d6999f5 on my AP1 S with all the exact same issues you mention....on the older cars like mine you can tell the power saving to not be enabled and tick the box to keep it connected all the time....doesn't fix everything always but it is much more stable.

I did mention the issues to the SC in Richmond and they said only some users are having the issue....however when sitting on the lounges in the SC it seems everyone I talk to has similar issues....also my wife's Model X (AP2.5) has a lot of bugs, lock up, spontaneous reboots and also some time just takes a long time for the car to "turn on" when one first gets in to it....the keep it connected method doesn't work as it this feature is hidden on the newer cars....

I too have version 9 on a S. Specifically va9.0(2018.48.12.1.xxxx). Spotify is a disaster on it. Even more so than on version 8. Many lockups of the screen/MFD and countless "Loading..." infinite loops. On the rare occasion it gives you an error message then the message will contain zero useful information. Mostly it just says "try again".

It is unclear where the fault(s) lay. Maybe Tesla C code, maybe Spotify, maybe non-rigorous interface between the two. Definitely non-rigorous handling of varying 3G signal strength. Two bars is not good enough and often 3 bars. Sometimes in a city you have 4 bars but still Spotify is stuffed whilst TuneIn works.

Bugs like this can distract a driver and thus compromise safety. You have to avoid fiddling with it whilst driving. All due to woeful software quality validation, and highly suggestive of Tesla's source code being "spaghetti" C code.

Many bugs are solid-ON. In other words the exact same sequence of user selections will result in the same problem every time. Others are more horoscope-like.

Obviously behaviour (perfect/bugs) "should" be identical between vehicles running the exact same release variant.

I hope the US drivers will "be careful what you wish for" apropos Spotify replacing Slacker.

And the rest of version 9 is a disaster too. Slow/missing manual pages, failure to bring up reversing camera when going to R (under various scenarios), and the "nav screen whether you want it or not". Erratic Bluetooth connectivity.

R6.
You sound very unhappy. Maybe either call your local service tech and see if a patch is available, or sell your tesla and buy a bmw with minimal tech.
My verion of 48.12.2.——- seems quite good. Very stable in fact. The first edition of V9 not so good, but the software evolution is all part of the tesla experience. My bmw had crap software. It never changed.

You sound very unhappy. Maybe either call your local service tech and see if a patch is available, or sell your tesla and buy a bmw with minimal tech.
My verion of 48.12.2.——- seems quite good. Very stable in fact. The first edition of V9 not so good, but the software evolution is all part of the tesla experience. My bmw had crap software. It never changed.
What annoys people is that the media app has always had problems somewhere, often they are fixed in the next version, then reintroduced in a subsequent version. It's like they don't do any beta testing... or that we are the beta testers. How hard is it to get the app right, and then not reintroduce bugs? This is a genuine question, I'm not a programmer

I too have been getting pretty annoyed about Spotify on my Model S lately. I thought it got a bit better after V9 for a few days, but then turned into a real mess.

I have a wild hypothesis about it though. I have one of the original AP1 cars like many others here and it connects to Telstra 3G. Whenever my phone has the misfortune to connect to a 3G tower I find that the data throughput becomes almost non-existent. Telstra's 3G network is in pretty poor condition and I believe they are actually planning to switch it off in the next year or so.

Is it possible that the issues we are seeing are because of the poor connectivity that Telstra is providing on their 3G network? I know these problems are occurring on newer cars as well, but perhaps those of us stuck in 3G land are getting a much worse experience. I keep meaning to tether to my phone for a few days to see if it improves but am always too rushed - perhaps someone else could explore this. I imagine that Tesla only do their development work on this in an area with top-notch connectivity so may not be seeing the problems that we are.

When Telstra switches off the 3G network we are all going to be either tethering to a phone or hotspot, or paying for an LTE upgrade to the car ($500?) so it may be worth making this change now if it fixes or improves things.

I don't think it is a 3G issue as I have the same issues in my 3G AP1 Model S as I do in my wife's AP2.5 LTE Model X.

In any case, if it was just a Media Issue I would be happy enough to wait for a fix... but it is more than this...often locking up the whole screen and spontaneously rebooting....and I have taken it in the the SC and they are not able to do anything as we are on the latest release on both cars etc.

So yeah, it is justifiably frustrating....

Last edited:
What annoys people is that the media app has always had problems somewhere, often they are fixed in the next version, then reintroduced in a subsequent version. It's like they don't do any beta testing... or that we are the beta testers. How hard is it to get the app right, and then not reintroduce bugs? This is a genuine question, I'm not a programmer
Based on my experience (nt just tesla) computer programmers never test their work. Thats the users job in their minds.

I too have been getting pretty annoyed about Spotify on my Model S lately. I thought it got a bit better after V9 for a few days, but then turned into a real mess.

I have a wild hypothesis about it though. I have one of the original AP1 cars like many others here and it connects to Telstra 3G. Whenever my phone has the misfortune to connect to a 3G tower I find that the data throughput becomes almost non-existent. Telstra's 3G network is in pretty poor condition and I believe they are actually planning to switch it off in the next year or so.

Is it possible that the issues we are seeing are because of the poor connectivity that Telstra is providing on their 3G network? I know these problems are occurring on newer cars as well, but perhaps those of us stuck in 3G land are getting a much worse experience. I keep meaning to tether to my phone for a few days to see if it improves but am always too rushed - perhaps someone else could explore this. I imagine that Tesla only do their development work on this in an area with top-notch connectivity so may not be seeing the problems that we are.

When Telstra switches off the 3G network we are all going to be either tethering to a phone or hotspot, or paying for an LTE upgrade to the car ($500?) so it may be worth making this change now if it fixes or improves things.

I strongly doubt it is Telstra. I have 40+ years of computer programming experience and have seen Spotify cactus whilst TuneIn works. AND! I can reliably lock up the screen/MFD trying Spotify. This is definitely serious bugs in Tesla's software.

Also - if you drive to a weak signal area (where the car cannot perform certain functions) then the Tesla software should say so in plain English ("Insufficient 3G signal for this function").

This in turn would beg the question that if they can't get a simple music application to work - then how in heck are they going to even 'begin' to approach the infinitely!!! more complex task of FSD? I have an AP1 S and also an AP2 X. The older AP1 S is heaps smarter than the AP2 X in terms of image recognition. The older cars can truly read speed signs using the camera, including temporary roadworks speed limit signs. The newer cars cannot read speed limit signs using the camera(s).... they presume speed limits solely based upon their GPS database determination of the road segment. This is why (on newer cars) the speed limit only changes when you pass an intersection or have travelled a GPS-significant distance. On the older cars the speed limit display changes exactly as you are abeam the sign.

For a couple of years now Tesla's image recognition software has failed to match that of the Mobileye image recognition in AP1 cars. It bodes ill for Autopilot/FSD. They have also 'divorced' Nvidia for supply of the GPU chip(s) needed for Autopilot/FSD (the "Tesla V100" GPU chip). Tesla say they are going to do their own chip. Tesla are biting off much more than they can chew (software and hardware development-wise).

Bob.

Reactions: P100D_Me