Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify pauses when Android phone is locked or unlocked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question for non-US Tesla owners.

I have a 2017 MS in Switzerland. We have Spotify here, not Slacker. Let's not open that can of worms here, hey...

I have my own Spotify Premium account logged in, not the Tesla one.
When I am playing music via Spotify in the car, all is fine. My Samsung Galaxy S7 has a notification showing the song that's currently being played on the car as the app is installed on it too (I didn't ask for that feature nor can I see an option to disable it in the Spotify phone app).
If I unlock or lock the phone, the car pauses Spotify. I can immediately restart it with the left scrollwheel or on the main screen.

Can anyone explain why on earth my car Spotify pauses when I handle my phone?
In addition, can anyone tell me how to stop this happening as it's flipping annoying.

Maybe it's Spotify keeping me safe by making me not want to ever check my phone while in the car....?!?!

A question for non-US Tesla owners.

I have a 2017 MS in Switzerland. We have Spotify here, not Slacker. Let's not open that can of worms here, hey...

I have my own Spotify Premium account logged in, not the Tesla one.
When I am playing music via Spotify in the car, all is fine. My Samsung Galaxy S7 has a notification showing the song that's currently being played on the car as the app is installed on it too (I didn't ask for that feature nor can I see an option to disable it in the Spotify phone app).
If I unlock or lock the phone, the car pauses Spotify. I can immediately restart it with the left scrollwheel or on the main screen.

Can anyone explain why on earth my car Spotify pauses when I handle my phone?
In addition, can anyone tell me how to stop this happening as it's flipping annoying.

Maybe it's Spotify keeping me safe by making me not want to ever check my phone while in the car....?!?!

It seems like a common issue with Spotify. One person's solution.
(not sure that bluetooth audio/ controls exports phone locked/unlocked state for car to act on)

Reactions: Siggy101
It seems like a common issue with Spotify. One person's solution.
(not sure that bluetooth audio/ controls exports phone locked/unlocked state for car to act on)

THanks for the info Mongo.
I read plenty about Spotify pausing on peoples phones (Android and iPhone) but this issue is subtly different.
If I am listening to music on my phone and I lock or unlock the phone, it carries on playing perfectly. The same goes for my home audio setup. It's only ever the Tesla that pauses when the phone is used. No other device is impacted.

THanks for the info Mongo.
I read plenty about Spotify pausing on peoples phones (Android and iPhone) but this issue is subtly different.
If I am listening to music on my phone and I lock or unlock the phone, it carries on playing perfectly. The same goes for my home audio setup. It's only ever the Tesla that pauses when the phone is used. No other device is impacted.

Drat, hoping it was simple.:confused:
Home audio is also Bluetooth? Is the phone connected to a charger in both the home and car uses cases?

Tesla app also running on phone? And is it latest version?

Drat, hoping it was simple.:confused:
Home audio is also Bluetooth? Is the phone connected to a charger in both the home and car uses cases?

Tesla app also running on phone? And is it latest version?

Everything is on latest firmware/versions.
Nope, at home I use Chromecasts so they are streaming the same as the Tesla is (no bluetooth is used when playing Spotify in the Tesla. Actually, you don't even need to own a phone to use it).
The phone is almost always unplugged at the time of the pausing (I cannot get my fingers into that stupid little cubbyhole to unlock with my fingerprint whilst keeping it charging)
I really can't work out how the car and phone are linked with regards to Spotify. Maybe I will test this afternoon if it does it if I disconnect the phone-car bluetooth link.... Nice idea, thanks for the prompt Mongo.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
Everything is on latest firmware/versions.
Nope, at home I use Chromecasts so they are streaming the same as the Tesla is (no bluetooth is used when playing Spotify in the Tesla. Actually, you don't even need to own a phone to use it).
The phone is almost always unplugged at the time of the pausing (I cannot get my fingers into that stupid little cubbyhole to unlock with my fingerprint whilst keeping it charging)
I really can't work out how the car and phone are linked with regards to Spotify. Maybe I will test this afternoon if it does it if I disconnect the phone-car bluetooth link.... Nice idea, thanks for the prompt Mongo.

Ah, Spotify runs on the Tesla should have known that, thanks for the kind clue in. I'll admit being out of my depth regarding the client/server relationship between Chromecast and car set ups. Given that both the phone and the car show the current Spotify state, I feel like it could be the phone causing the pause. In which case another thing to try might be turning off/ stopping the Spotify App on the phone.

Thanks for letting me brainstorm (drizzle).

Reactions: Siggy101
I will be in the car in about 2 hours time so I'll test with the phone disconnected from bluetooth but still on it's own 4G (I expect it will still show what's playing on the car).
If it still messes with it over the air, I will try uninstalling Spotify on the phone to just confirm it's the app that's killing it.
I'll post back my findings.

Reactions: mongo