Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait a minute, there's a free premium account with the car? I used mine from day one!
Not quite, there is a Tesla Spotify account that comes with the car, it is tied to the car and cannot be accessed from anywhere else, just from the car. You also need to subscribe to the Tesla Premium Connectivity addon (£9.99/month) else it only works when the car is connected to WiFi. I think it also has a few other restrictions, like not being able to setup a new playlist, just use public ones.

You don't need premium connectivity to use the free included spotify account, but if you don't have premium you need to tether the car to a wifi hotspot such as your phone. For the same reasons if you try to use your own spotify account it won't work either if you don't have premium unless you tether..

Premium connectivity is pretty much just that, connectivity. Aside from needing to use a wifi hotspot if you don't have premium to keep the features, you only lose 3 features, google traffic display (although you still get traffic info for routing), satellite earth views, and the ability to remotely view sentry mode cameras.

You don't need premium connectivity to use the free included spotify account, but if you don't have premium you need to tether the car to a wifi hotspot such as your phone. For the same reasons if you try to use your own spotify account it won't work either if you don't have premium unless you tether..

Premium connectivity is pretty much just that, connectivity. Aside from needing to use a wifi hotspot if you don't have premium to keep the features, you only lose 3 features, google traffic display (although you still get traffic info for routing), satellite earth views, and the ability to remotely view sentry mode cameras.
That is not correct, you do need premium connectivity to get the free Tesla spotify account. You may get away with using the free account if the premium connectivity expires for a little while until the session expires/tesla expire the account. If you sign out of it before then you won't be provided the option to "use telsa account", only the option to use your own.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
That is not correct, you do need premium connectivity to get the free Tesla spotify account. You may get away with using the free account if the premium connectivity expires for a little while until the session expires/tesla expire the account. If you sign out of it before then you won't be provided the option to "use telsa account", only the option to use your own.
Mine was working fine without premium the last time I checked and some 6 months after premium had expired. I’ve just changed car so have premium by default and can’t check.

Maybe someone else can try?

Mine was working fine without premium the last time I checked and some 6 months after premium had expired. I’ve just changed car so have premium by default and can’t check.

Maybe someone else can try?
I've been through the whole process, I can confirm if you have no premium connectivity you don't get given the option to use it. If you are signed in and lose premium connectivity that time varies. Initially it took a long time and then there were lots of people in FB groups complaining they had been logged out and lost connectivity. No idea how long it takes for that these days though. I don't have premium connectivity, no option to "use telsa account" just sign in with my own.

I've been through the whole process, I can confirm if you have no premium connectivity you don't get given the option to use it. If you are signed in and lose premium connectivity that time varies. Initially it took a long time and then there were lots of people in FB groups complaining they had been logged out and lost connectivity. No idea how long it takes for that these days though. I don't have premium connectivity, no option to "use telsa account" just sign in with my own.
Hi
Sorry I’m a bit thick and confused here so would welcome some advice please.
I don’t have premium connectivity - free month has just expired.
I have a premium Spotify account which I use for my Alexa, phone etc.
If I don’t have the Tesla premium connectivity, does that mean I can’t use Spotify unless it’s on WiFi?
Thanks in advance

Hi
Sorry I’m a bit thick and confused here so would welcome some advice please.
I don’t have premium connectivity - free month has just expired.
I have a premium Spotify account which I use for my Alexa, phone etc.
If I don’t have the Tesla premium connectivity, does that mean I can’t use Spotify unless it’s on WiFi?
Thanks in advance
Correct. You can however use a Wi-Fi hotspot on your phone

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Hang about... free Spotify Tesla account?!?! I think like most here, I've just had the subscription invite since the 1st May, which I have not yet triggered. I have Apple Music and have been streaming via bluetooth for now, I was tempted to look at Spotify, but if this is included then I guess its worth the 9.99 per month...

can anyone confirm this? and how do you log in and activate the free Spotify/Tesla account? Thanks!

Hang about... free Spotify Tesla account?!?! I think like most here, I've just had the subscription invite since the 1st May, which I have not yet triggered. I have Apple Music and have been streaming via bluetooth for now, I was tempted to look at Spotify, but if this is included then I guess its worth the 9.99 per month...

can anyone confirm this? and how do you log in and activate the free Spotify/Tesla account? Thanks!
Premium Connectivity comes with a Tesla Spotify account, it's absolutely not the same as a premium account. It can only be used in the car and you can't create your own playlists, favourites or any of those convenient services. It does allow you to play music and doesn't have ads.

I have Premium but use my own premium Spotify account as I want to be able to have the music set up for me, including podcasts.

• Informative
Reactions: Toblerone