Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify stops USB Music

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was using my phone to play music. I decided to load music on a USB drive and play from there instead. I can play music from the USB but every 1 to 4 songs it stops, and I see the Spotify icon highlighted instead of the USB icon. I'm unable to continue any music from the USB, no play, no skipping, nothing. I need to go back to the display/list of songs and select one for it to play again. If I select the the Spotify icon it is looking for me to login. I don't have a Spotify account, and haven't had one with my M3. For some reason, it stops playing and wants me to login to Spotify.

Any ideas on how to stop it from going to Spotify, or continue with USB music? Or getting rid of or completely disabling the Spotify icon/screen?

I troubleshot a bit. I tried a different thumb drive and it acted a bit better, but instead of stopping and going to Spotify it stopped, or paused, for about 15 seconds every song or two. Then, continued to play again on its own.

I ran some read speed tests on both thumb drives and they were 33mbs for the first drive and only 16mbs for the second drive (which worked a bit better). I decided to go buy a new thumb drive, 3.0, and try it out. It's working now without stopping or pausing. I guess it means my 2.0 thumb drives were too slow (which seems odd to me that it couldn't read fast enough to play the songs). From what I thought I read is the 2.0 were good enough. Not for my M3, I guess. Anyway, it seems to be working now, or did for at least a half hour of driving, which is about 20 or 25 minutes further than it was able to go previously.

Thumb drives are pretty useless for music in these cars. Try a ssd - you shouldn't have this problem. Tesla doesn't use any kind of reads buffer apparently, so you're kind of at the mercy of your drives controller chip.

utter nonsense.

I've been using one since I got the car in late 2018 without issue.

Tons of folks have been using em going back to 2012 in the S (and later X).

The read speed for music is a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of the read speed capabilities of pretty much any USB key on the market.

To the OP- the actual USB ports in the car are only 2.0, as you note speeds of any drive are way way faster than needed.

You could have a flaky USB hub in the car though, that's certainly not unheard of in Teslas.

Not nonsense. I'm just a lot more picky about my audio performance than you are. Yes, I've tried thumb drives, good ones, bad ones, quite a few of them. They don't work adequately.

You sound like a guy who spends a lot on Monster cables :)

There is literally no difference in sound quality from one USB drive to another.

It's impossible for there to be. Digital is 1s and 0s.

It either reads the bit or it doesn't.

And even lossless audio files don't require even 1/10th the typical read speed of USB keys.

But lemme know if you're up this way, I'll be happy to bet you a large sum of $ you're incapable of doing better than random chance in correctly guessing which is which in a blind A/B listen of whatever overpriced SSD you play music from and my "not adequate" USB thumb drive with the same content.

I've been using a USB>microSD adapter almost exclusively for my music.
I tried Spotify and loved it at first. Then I ran into the Dead Zones. Spotify is like FM radio. It does not have full coverage and USB does. Then Spotify sent me political spam emails, and I axed it.

There are many bugs in the Tesla music playing software. But as you get used to the workarounds, you'll find it to be acceptable. Not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination, but just acceptable. A 5 year old econobox with Carplay is far more robust than Tesla's system of controlling music inputs.

Is there any way to delete Spotify entirely? If no, then WTF Elon? It's not like you to lock into a proprietary system that you do not control, which is what Spotify is. Spotify is NOT a suitable replacement for Carplay.

FWIW when spotify first came to US cars there were reports that if you logged into it it screwed up being able to search for songs as you used to, be able to voice-command-on-demand play songs like you used to, etc...

So I just never bothered making an account.

Still haven't, and I appear to have dodged a lot of problems that way.

My FLAC content on USB is flawless when I want high quality stuff, and slacker is just fine for random listening to stuff I don't have a copy of or if a passenger wants to listen to something specific I don't have even though the bitrate sucks (not that I expect spotifys is better)