Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify streaming quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed that streaming quality of the built in Spotify app is somewhat lower grade compared to streaming through Spotify on your phone? On my phone, I am able to select the “very high quality”(320kbit/sec) option but the car app does not allow you to change this setting. Not complaining till this is free but once we start paying for data, I would certainly want to get a higher quality stream.

Yes, immediately noticed and was fairly disappointed. It's not even "good enough" for me unfortunately, it distorts 90% of my music sufficiently to notice throughout the song. I signed up for a trial of Spotify just to try it out (currently using Google Play over Bluetooth otherwise).

I paid for "Premium interior with premium connectivity", I'm happy to complain since when I bought the car it was never mentioned that I would have to pay for connectivity. I'm also still within the "free year" that I now know about.

Yes, immediately noticed and was fairly disappointed. It's not even "good enough" for me unfortunately, it distorts 90% of my music sufficiently to notice throughout the song. I signed up for a trial of Spotify just to try it out (currently using Google Play over Bluetooth otherwise).

I paid for "Premium interior with premium connectivity", I'm happy to complain since when I bought the car it was never mentioned that I would have to pay for connectivity. I'm also still within the "free year" that I now know about.
Despite Spotify being my #1 feature request, I've gone back to using my phone and bluetooth for spotify. The tesla client is buggy, low quality, and feature poor. It's so half baked, and the integration into the rest of the media system feels like they just threw spotify in there at the last minute.

It is convenient and safe though so I am very conflicted. I don’t want to have to touch my phone to select play lists etc...

It is convenient and safe though so I am very conflicted. I don’t want to have to touch my phone to select play lists etc...

I know Google Play can do this on my Android phone, and I'm not sure what OS you have, but perhaps voice controls work with Spotify? I don't normally use voice controls on smartphones, but in this case it works fairly well.

Sorry I don't have a better suggestion. I agree better in-car support would be very nice and safer.