Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify - Tesla Account or Premium Account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got Spotify premium but actually use the in-built account in the car. This way when my kids want to hear frozen for the 10000 time at home, my music carries on fine :). I've read that you can create playlists at home (on free or premium) and then set them to public. Once this has updated, you can find these in the car and favourite them.
does anyone know how to get external playlists (like from my own personal spotify) onto the tesla (premium) one
I tried making a public link and opening it with the tesla browser but it didnt work

does anyone know how to get external playlists (like from my own personal spotify) onto the tesla (premium) one
I tried making a public link and opening it with the tesla browser but it didnt work
My first reaction is you can't. The Tesla Spotify account is limited in some ways - you could build the playlist again I guess?

If you have a personal Spotify account, why not sign in with that?

My first reaction is you can't. The Tesla Spotify account is limited in some ways - you could build the playlist again I guess?

If you have a personal Spotify account, why not sign in with that?
I used to have premium about a year ago, still have my old playlist that I like
I also have a shazam playlist which is nice to transfer over

I would manually add 200 songs but that would be long winded, wanted to find a faster way

Reactions: spooksman
I believe when you make a playlist public eventually it appears in the Spotify search results, but seems to take a random (fairly long) amount of time to do so.

I've got Spotify premium but actually use the in-built account in the car. This way when my kids want to hear frozen for the 10000 time at home, my music carries on fine :). I've read that you can create playlists at home (on free or premium) and then set them to public. Once this has updated, you can find these in the car and favourite them.
precisely my problem, dont want to have childrens choices polluating my spotify. How you imported a playlist from personal account to Tesla built-in account ?

I know this is meant to be primarily about Spotify accounts, but as @Durzel has mentioned the quality difference between Spotify and Tidal, is there a comparison between all available streaming services in the car?

I use Apple Music, a carry over from when I had an iPhone (now on Pixel), so wondered what the quality of that would be like, and whether the Spatial Audio is available in the car?

I had the high res Tidal subscription and now use Apple Music. Both sound superior in the Tesla in my opinion to Spotify (my son has a premium subscription to Spotify which we tried in the M3P). I don't believe the Tesla uses the Apple Spatial Audio but it has a pleasing soundstage in any case. The Highland M3 very well may do more with the surround sound since it is by all accounts a significant upgrade to the audio.

I know this is meant to be primarily about Spotify accounts, but as @Durzel has mentioned the quality difference between Spotify and Tidal, is there a comparison between all available streaming services in the car?

I use Apple Music, a carry over from when I had an iPhone (now on Pixel), so wondered what the quality of that would be like, and whether the Spatial Audio is available in the car?
No Apple spacial (how would that work, sound changes when you turn :) or lossless in the Tesla Apple Music app, and if you connect via Bluetooth then that will be limited anyway.

I'm used to music via Airpods which is fundamentally limited to 240kbps, couldn't notice a difference with Tidal in the car that was worth money to me. So much road noise added I would be sure it's mainly self belief that folks can casually tell the difference.

• Helpful
Reactions: Oxid8ter
Model 3/Y supports TIDAL HiFi quality over wireless (e.g. hotspot), which is lossless. I wouldn't say I'm a purist but I have a USB SSD attached and everything on it is in lossless FLAC quality. To my OCD ears I can definitely hear a significant difference between TIDAL and Spotify in the car, over LTE and wireless. it is night and day.

Can't speak to Apple Music but from what has been said above it sounds like it might also be better.

Spotify really is pretty poor SQ in the car, and I suspect it makes no difference at all whether you use the built-in account or your own Premium one. I can't imagine it can sound much worse than I've experienced on my own account.

To be clear - I tether off my phone for data, which fools TIDAL and co into thinking you're permanently connected to a wireless signal, and it will use higher bitrate stuff. I am not using TIDAL, Spotify, etc on my phone and then streaming it to the car over Bluetooth. I'm using the apps built in to the car, and only tethering for the wireless trick (I have Premium Connectivity).

• Helpful
So much road noise added I would be sure it's mainly self belief that folks can casually tell the difference.
Certainly on anything other than smooth roads at low speed the road noise more then negates any difference in audio quality. I do hear a difference when stationary or parked up killing time in the car. Which is quite often with school pickups etc.

Each to their own but i did a drive earlier using TIDAL again after I signed up from Malaysia (£2.80/month, apparently Nigeria is cheaper) after having used Spotify for several months prior, and it was once again remarkable how much different it sounded. More bass, clearer midrange & top end, etc.

I would recommend anyone who enjoys music in the car give it a blast - you can start a free trial easily enough. Make sure you hotspot to your phone if you're driving (and mark the wireless network as "Stay connected when in Drive"). You will see a "HiFi' logo next to any song playing in lossless quality.

Apple Music sounds like it might be as good as well.

It sounds pretty crap to me with my own personal Spotify Premium account, at least on LTE. Sounds considerably worse than TIDAL.
Thanks - that's exactly what I wanted to know.

It's a great shame there isn't something that ticks all the boxes, which for me are :-
- high quality audio
- podcasts as well as music
- app in the car
- app on Android phone

I end up bluetooth-ing the phone for podcasts, which isn't such a hardship. Don't want to log in with personal Spotify for podcasts and lose the ability to play albums using the in-car account (even if the quality is reduced).

Reactions: Durzel