Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify Tesla account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so it basically is an online profile which is authorised to access the net (with premium)
Not quite (maybe depending what your reference to "premium" means) - its a generic spotify profile for the car with limited features ie you can't share playlists with other devices. If you have your own account then you can use that to get shared playlists etc.

Premium connectivity is not needed as such, however if you don't have premium you need to connect the car to a wifi hotspot, if you do have premium then it can use that. See premium as simply built in connectivity for all multimedia stuff avoiding the need to use your own connectivity. It does a few other things too, but thats the simplest way to see it in relation to spotify. To illustrate that in a different way, even if you use your own spotify account but don't have premium connectivity it won't work unless you use a wifi hotspot.

so it basically is an online profile which is authorised to access the net (with premium)
From what I understand. Yes its a Spotify profile that is specific to your Tesla car and can connect only using WiFi if you have Standard Connectivity. You need Premium Connectivity if you want any of the 'media' features (Netflix, Spotify, browser, etc.) to connect over the mobile 4G/LTE network, that is what Premium gives you, the additional mobile data connection for these apps. So Premium is required if you want to use Spotify whilst driving/moving rather than just whilst parked with a WiFi connection.
Unless of course you use your phone to create a WiFi hotspot which the car connects to and then your phone is providing the mobile connection.

Not quite (maybe depending what your reference to "premium" means) - its a generic spotify profile for the car with limited features ie you can't share playlists with other devices. If you have your own account then you can use that to get shared playlists etc.

Premium connectivity is not needed as such, however if you don't have premium you need to connect the car to a wifi hotspot, if you do have premium then it can use that. See premium as simply built in connectivity for all multimedia stuff avoiding the need to use your own connectivity. It does a few other things too, but thats the simplest way to see it in relation to spotify. To illustrate that in a different way, even if you use your own spotify account but don't have premium connectivity it won't work unless you use a wifi hotspot.
assuming you dont have/want tesla premium, is it not better to just to use bluetooth and your own preferred streaming software for audio? does the audio via bluetooth function work on teslas? i.e. i currently use youtube music premium and my playlist is there.. no need for me to use wifi-hotspot on Spotify as my tracks are not there and i will need to wifi-hotspot rather than bluetooth

assuming you dont have/want tesla premium, is it not better to just to use bluetooth and your own preferred streaming software for audio? does the audio via bluetooth function work on teslas? i.e. i currently use youtube music premium and my playlist is there.. no need for me to use wifi-hotspot on Spotify as my tracks are not there and i will need to wifi-hotspot rather than bluetooth
It's an option certainly. Using the cars spotify means you get an on screen interface to select playlists, find albums etc. If you use Bluetooth you would have to control everything from the phones interface via Siri/Google.

I pay for a Spotify account and have Premium Connectivity, means I can listen to the same playlists etc at home, set on my phone, and in the car. Also means I can subscribe to podcasts on my phone then listen in the car etc. Pricey though.

oh - so if you hotspot your phone you can still use spotify premium in the car without the premium sub? That was one small thing making me keep it. I need to test how well the hotspot works with wifi staying on when you drive though.

oh - so if you hotspot your phone you can still use spotify premium in the car without the premium sub? That was one small thing making me keep it. I need to test how well the hotspot works with wifi staying on when you drive though.
basically all the wifi hotspot is doing is keeping the 'connectivity alive' and then you are stuck to using tesla's free spotify online only account
makes more sense to pay the 9.99 and get more features and do less faffing around..

basically all the wifi hotspot is doing is keeping the 'connectivity alive' and then you are stuck to using tesla's free spotify online only account
makes more sense to pay the 9.99 and get more features and do less faffing around..
I don't understand your point.

Wifi hotspot just replaces the connectivity side of the multimedia options Tesla provide, e.g. spotify, Tidal, netflix etc. In some cases it actually improves the quality such as Tidal. Not sure what "stuck" is refering to, you certainly don't get a better spotify or tidal or netflix experience or set of features by paying for premium connectivity other than you don't have to connect to your own hotspot.

If you use your own spotify account for the extra features you still have to use either a hotspot or pay for premium connectivity.

If you use the Tesla spotify account you get basic features but you still have to use either a hotspot or pay for premium connectivity.

Reactions: greenbottle123
I'm having an issue with Spotify also. Ever since my car went off to be repaired for a month and I logged out of the Spotify account in the car, I can't log back in again.

I don't have Premium Connectivity any more but I should still be able to use the car's account over wifi. But every time I try to login to it by pressing the "use car account" button it just does nothing.

I'm having an issue with Spotify also. Ever since my car went off to be repaired for a month and I logged out of the Spotify account in the car, I can't log back in again.

I don't have Premium Connectivity any more but I should still be able to use the car's account over wifi. But every time I try to login to it by pressing the "use car account" button it just does nothing.
I think you don't get Spotify unless you have Premium Connectivity. When I let me premium expire it stopped allowing the car account immediately, when I resubscribed it worked again.

Reactions: WllXM
Yes, the car account is only for Premium Connectivity. If you want to use Spotify over wifi then you need to pay for your own Spotify account.

Ultimately it depends if you want to pay your 10 quid to Spotify to get your personalised playlists and use the app also on your phone, link the account with the car while on wifi, or give them to Tesla instead for additional car connectivity and the benefit of using their own Spotify account while in the car.