Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify vs Apple Music

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a current Spotify user, but have all Apple devices at home (phone, iPad, Mac, etc). Now with Apple Music integration in the car, am considering trying Apple Music to see if I like the interface and music curation any better. I have not loved Spotify since switching from Google Play Music (which I did solely because of the Tesla integration). Can anyone provide insight into which they like better? Is it possible to import my Spotify playlists and favorites into Apple Music? Verizon offers a 6 month trial so I’ll probably just try it for myself but I’d still be interested in other peoples experiences.

We have Apple Music and although Spotify prob has a slight advantage with the UI, Apple has better sound with spatial audio and better total music choice (although when you're talking 60 million songs choice kinda becomes moot). There are great bundles to be had with Apple music/tv/fitness etc.

Apple wins IMHO.

I prefer Apple but Spotify (free) has more modern mixes and predictive playlists of music and genre from what I’ve noticed. However I uploaded thousands of CDs and songs to my Apple Music back in the day, so I can hear my favorite playlists from way back. I’m still getting used to the new Tesla Apple Music app as it’s a bit different searching than my phone app.

I could only get my Spotify to work via BT my phone (free Spotify) version limits, I’m assuming?

I think you’re gonna have to write down the Spotify playlist and manually add/create them into new Apple Music playlists.

I always hated the way Spotify did "artist radio" type stations....Apple and Pandora do it similarly and works the way I like. So, once Apple Music came to the car the other day, I ditched Spotify and subbed to Apple Music. The Tesla Apple Music app has its issues, and hopefully they'll get fixed, but still like it better than Spotify.

I prefer Apple but Spotify (free) has more modern mixes and predictive playlists of music and genre from what I’ve noticed. However I uploaded thousands of CDs and songs to my Apple Music back in the day, so I can hear my favorite playlists from way back. I’m still getting used to the new Tesla Apple Music app as it’s a bit different searching than my phone app.

I could only get my Spotify to work via BT my phone (free Spotify) version limits, I’m assuming?

I think you’re gonna have to write down the Spotify playlist and manually add/create them into new Apple Music playlists.
Does your uploaded music work in the Tesla app? I have 10k+ songs uploaded to iTunes Match and I see a following "pattern":
• songs that AM somehow recognised get substituted by versions found in the AM catalog. For example, I have live Audioslave songs that show up the same as in my music library, but AM plays studio versions. The artist name and album name are both greyed out.
• songs that were uploaded to iTunes Match don't work
• songs that were matched by iTunes Match don't work
Which is weird, because I've read that the Tesla app uses the "web version" of AM and everything works fine in the AM web player. Also, the quality in the web player is 256 kbs, while the Tesla app is horrible, worse than Spotify.

I got a spotify subscription several months ago. I like spotify’s curated play lists better. I haven’t used Apple Music yet but Spotify‘s interface leaves much to be desired.

Spotify only lets you play from one device at a time for a given account so If you have more than one driver you need a separate account for the car. That means you can’t easily share playlists, etc.

Spotify has podcasts but their interface for podcasts stinks. It doesn’t keep track of playback position or played podcasts.

I’ve had repeated issues with spotify not playing and/or not connecting to its servers. No idea if this is on the server side or the interface but either way it’s not reliable.

Transferring playlists between spotify and apple music is possible but cumbersome. The same applies to transferring playlists between spotify accounts. Apple wins here.

Here is what I cannot figure out. With Spotify, if I select an artist and then hit “Radio” it will play a curated list of similar artists. On Apple, it only plays songs by the selected artist. Is there a way to accomplish this on Apple that I’m not seeing?

Reports are that Apple Music streaming averaged 118 kbps, while Spotify streaming averaged 157 kbps. I can't verify Spotify in fact sounds better than Apple Music, because I don't have a paid subscription to Spotify, only the free account which doesn't work in Teslas. I'm not sure how the Tesla premium connectivity streaming service (Slacker Radio I believe) compares.

Interestingly Amazon Prime Music (the one included with your Amazon Prime account) supposedly has a 256 kbps streaming rate. I don't know if that's true if you stream it through your iphone however, and of course you'd have to to bottleneck it somewhat with Bluetooth.

Reactions: SWIPE
Reports are that Apple Music streaming averaged 118 kbps, while Spotify streaming averaged 157 kbps. I can't verify Spotify in fact sounds better than Apple Music, because I don't have a paid subscription to Spotify, only the free account which doesn't work in Teslas. I'm not sure how the Tesla premium connectivity streaming service (Slacker Radio I believe) compares.

Interestingly Amazon Prime Music (the one included with your Amazon Prime account) supposedly has a 256 kbps streaming rate. I don't know if that's true if you stream it through your iphone however, and of course you'd have to to bottleneck it somewhat with Bluetooth.

This Reddit post says the Apple Music bit rate is even lower, 64 kbps. Regardless, both AM and Spotify seem to be outclassed by the Tidal app for these cars, at 1400 kbps (CD quality) on Wi-Fi or after downloading, and possibly 320 kbps on LTE.

I got a spotify subscription several months ago. I like spotify’s curated play lists better. I haven’t used Apple Music yet but Spotify‘s interface leaves much to be desired.

Spotify only lets you play from one device at a time for a given account so If you have more than one driver you need a separate account for the car. That means you can’t easily share playlists, etc.

Spotify has podcasts but their interface for podcasts stinks. It doesn’t keep track of playback position or played podcasts.

I’ve had repeated issues with spotify not playing and/or not connecting to its servers. No idea if this is on the server side or the interface but either way it’s not reliable.

Transferring playlists between spotify and apple music is possible but cumbersome. The same applies to transferring playlists between spotify accounts. Apple wins here.
Are you using the free version of Spotify? My premium version has always kept track of playback position for podcasts. Admittedly it’s a little slow when comparing to Pocketcasts for example but it does work. Unless you mean specifically when using the Tesla app in which case I haven’t tried playing a podcast I am half way through yet.

If I press it stills plays when I re enter the car. This bug happens only with Apple music
Agree, this is an Apple Music or Tesla bug with integration. It is annoying as after you pause the music when you get out of the car, either by display or steering wheel, when you get back in the music starts automatically. This doesn’t happen with Spotify.

This Reddit post says the Apple Music bit rate is even lower, 64 kbps. Regardless, both AM and Spotify seem to be outclassed by the Tidal app for these cars, at 1400 kbps (CD quality) on Wi-Fi or after downloading, and possibly 320 kbps on LTE.
Not sure about it rates as prob variable based on connectivity. But my real world listen test at worst puts Spotify and Apple Music quality tied, AM better IMHO

Target app has a 3 month trial available for various services including AppleTV, Apple Music, Apple Fitness.

Once the app is updated, I might try the trial again and see if the music is better or worse. I do love how Spotify integrates beyond Apple platforms such as Xbox. I can also easily tap into other friends stereos using Spotify DJ type feature. Spotify appears to be a superior product on most fronts but I’m open to having access to more dynamic playlists.