Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify w/o Premium Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
There's seems to be confusing information regarding this so I opened a new inquiry here.

I have a Premium Spotify account.
When I get my Model 3, I don't expect to subscribe to Tesla Premium Connectivity.
If I use Bluetooth to connect my phone, will the Spotify UI appear on the Tesla screen?

This is doable on my current 2019 BMW, but I haven't seen a hard and fast answer for the Tesla.

Thanks!

Hi all,
There's seems to be confusing information regarding this so I opened a new inquiry here.

I have a Premium Spotify account.
When I get my Model 3, I don't expect to subscribe to Tesla Premium Connectivity.
If I use Bluetooth to connect my phone, will the Spotify UI appear on the Tesla screen?

This is doable on my current 2019 BMW, but I haven't seen a hard and fast answer for the Tesla.

Thanks!

No, it wont.

You are combining two things on the Tesla, perhaps thats why you are confused about it.

Using spotify on the screen, through the cars interface, requires premium connectivity on the tesla and also a spotify premium account, If you have spotify premium but not premium connectivity, you can stream bluetooth from your phone.

Streaming bluetooth from your phone is streaming "any audio" bluetooth from your phone. All controls for bluetooth streaming from your phone are on the phone.

===========================

Connectivity Packages​

Connectivity PackagesStandardPremium
Navigation
Live Traffic Visualization-
Sentry Mode - View Live Camera-
Satellite-View Maps-
Video Streaming*⁺-
Caraoke*-
Music Streaming*⁺-
Internet Browser*-
Features subject to change and may vary based on hardware configuration
* Currently available over Wi-Fi for Standard Connectivity
*⁺ A paid subscription to streaming services is required to access music and media streaming

What music & media are available with Standard Connectivity?
Standard Connectivity offers Bluetooth® pairing,
FM radio, Sirius XM capability in North America (for XM-enabled and configured vehicles) and playback from a USB drive.

Premium Connectivity is required for in-car streaming music & media over cellular.

A paid subscription to third-party streaming services is required to access music and media streaming for both Standard and Premium Connectivity.

=====================================

The translation of all this information from tesla above is:

1. Streaming music in the car requires premium connectivity (in addition to a premium account to a service that it supports like spotify)
2. Standard connectivity gets you "bluetooth streaming".
3. You can stream spotify audio via bluetooth from your phone, to the car, just like you can to a home stereo or something
4. The spotity interface in a tesla (on the screen) is using the cellular connection the car has, not the one on your phone so is considered music streaming, not bluetooth streaming.
5. You can verify this by having premium connectivity on a tesla and logging into spotify with a premium account, then picking up your phone and trying to play spotify. It will tell you its playing on another device, just like as if someone was using it on your computer while you tried to use the same account on your phone at the same time.

• Informative
Reactions: EVEnergy
The only thing I'd add to the above is that I think you can use the in-car Spotify interface without premium connectivity if you connect your phone as a hotspot. This is a little easier these days since you have the option to keep wifi connected when shifting into drive, though still not quite as seamless as subscribing to premium connectivity.

The only thing I'd add to the above is that I think you can use the in-car Spotify interface without premium connectivity if you connect your phone as a hotspot. This is a little easier these days since you have the option to keep wifi connected when shifting into drive, though still not quite as seamless as subscribing to premium connectivity.

This might be possible on older tesla model 3s but I dont know if it is on new ones. Tesla specifically changed the wording on the connectivity website page (linked above) to state you need premium connectivity.

Older versions of that page didnt say that, they said you could use hotspot to access it I am fairly sure.

I also have seen at least one thread with a person complaining that "How come I cant stream music on my new tesla with a hotspot, I could do it on my old one".

• Informative
Reactions: bedoig
Does anyone know if you do go down this route, ie no Tesla premium connectivity, but still log the tesla spotify app into your spotify premium account, and use your wifi hotspot for data, you will get to see your playlists etc from the big screen, but I wanted to know if you can download your playlists/favourites etc like you can on the phone. So the scenario say when using apple car play, jump in car with little or no signal, but can pick a downloaded playlist, and it streams with no lag, however because I live in an area with poor signal, if the car cant download the playlists/favourites beforehand, it will take ages to play as the signal is so bad for miles?
Anyone know if it will download and cache music in this scenario?

This might be possible on older tesla model 3s but I dont know if it is on new ones. Tesla specifically changed the wording on the connectivity website page (linked above) to state you need premium connectivity.

Older versions of that page didnt say that, they said you could use hotspot to access it I am fairly sure.

I also have seen at least one thread with a person complaining that "How come I cant stream music on my new tesla with a hotspot, I could do it on my old one".
That is not correct. The support page says "Premium Connectivity is required for in-car streaming music & media over cellular.", note the emphasis.
You can always use Spotify and other services in the car over Wi-Fi without Tesla Premium Connectivity, and the current language on the support page reflects this: "Currently available over Wi-Fi for Standard Connectivity".

This is how the current firmware versions work and not a function of the age of the car. The only caveat for a phone hotspot is that you have to check "Remain connected in Drive" in the settings for the Wi-Fi network so that the car does not turn off Wi-Fi off automatically, as described in the manual here: Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
You can always use Spotify and other services in the car over Wi-Fi _without_ Tesla Premium Connectivity, and the current language on the support page reflects this. This always includes a phone hotspot. The only caveat is that you have to check "Remain Connected While in Drive" in the settings for the Wi-Fi network so that the car does not turn off Wi-Fi off automatically. Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

This is how the current firmware versions work and not a function of the age of the car.

No it doesnt actually. I linked to it. It specifically says music streaming requires premium connectivity (thats not bluetooth streaming). Its right there in the text I copied from the tesla website.

No it doesnt actually. I linked to it. It specifically says music streaming requires premium connectivity (thats not bluetooth streaming). Its right there in the text I copied from the tesla website.

A paid subscription to streaming services is required to access music and media streaming

This is referring to a paid subscription to streaming services, e.g. Spotify Premium being required for Spotify, not Premium Connectivity. That is why the web browser is not impacted.

A paid subscription to streaming services is required to access music and media streaming

This is referring to a paid subscription to streaming services, e.g. Spotify Premium being required for Spotify, not Premium Connectivity. That is why the web browser is not impacted.

This line isnt, though, and it also is copied directly from the tesla website:

Premium Connectivity is required for in-car streaming music & media over cellular.

This line isnt, though, and it also is copied directly from the tesla website:
The support page says "Premium Connectivity is required for in-car streaming music & media over cellular.", note the emphasis. The feature is marked as "Currently available over Wi-Fi for Standard Connectivity" and it definitely is not disabled when Premium Connectivity is unsubscribed, from my own experience and others.

The support page says "Premium Connectivity is required for in-car streaming music & media over cellular.", note the emphasis.

I have premium connectivity so I dont know, but the tesla website also says:

====================

Can I get Premium Connectivity features by using a mobile hotspot?
Some features that are available with Standard Connectivity over Wi-Fi such as video streaming, Caraoke and the internet browser may also be accessed over mobile hotspots, subject to fees and restrictions of your mobile carrier.

====================

Note that they specifically say " video streaming and caraoke" are available over mobile hotspot, but do not currently state that music streaming is. This page used to specifically call out that music streaming was available over wifi, but now specifically does not.

This thread:

Has a person that specifically had music streaming in a previous model 3, without premium connectivity, but in their 2022 they let premium connectivity lapse and no longer have it.

I have premium connectivity so I dont know, but the tesla website also says:

====================

Can I get Premium Connectivity features by using a mobile hotspot?
Some features that are available with Standard Connectivity over Wi-Fi such as video streaming, Caraoke and the internet browser may also be accessed over mobile hotspots, subject to fees and restrictions of your mobile carrier.

====================

Note that they specifically say " video streaming and caraoke" are available over mobile hotspot, but do not currently state that music streaming is. This page used to specifically call out that music streaming was available over wifi, but now specifically does not.

This thread:

Has a person that specifically had music streaming in a previous model 3, without premium connectivity, but in their 2022 they let premium connectivity lapse and no longer have it.
The person in that thread is trying to log into the Slacker Premium account that came with the car, they don't have a paid subscription to Slacker.
The support page still says: A paid subscription to third-party streaming services is required to access music and media streaming for both Standard and Premium Connectivity.

Thanks, everyone...I appreciate all your input.
Hi all,

If nothing else, I think we fully confirmed this statement from your first post about confusing information.

Apologies if this has already been answered above but my free 30-day Premium connectivity ended not loo long ago which means I can no longer stream Spotify. I have my iPhone connected to the Tesla via bluetooth. Whenever I try to play Spotify on my iPhone and try to get the sound to come out of the Tesla speakers, there is no sound. I have a Spotify Premium plan.

On the Spotify app, it shows it is connected to the Tesla Media but there is no sound. Is there something I need to do to get the sound to come out of the Tesla speakers?

Apologies if this has already been answered above but my free 30-day Premium connectivity ended not loo long ago which means I can no longer stream Spotify. I have my iPhone connected to the Tesla via bluetooth. Whenever I try to play Spotify on my iPhone and try to get the sound to come out of the Tesla speakers, there is no sound. I have a Spotify Premium plan.

On the Spotify app, it shows it is connected to the Tesla Media but there is no sound. Is there something I need to do to get the sound to come out of the Tesla speakers?
Did you choose your source Bluetooth in the car ?

You can hotspot your phone to the car and able to use the built-in Spotify app in your Tesla.

I hotspot my phone and use Tidal app in the car. Everything works fine for over a year now without having Premium Connectivity.

thanks @Ther0ck - stupid question but where you say 'did you choose your source Bluetooth in the car?' - how can I be certain that the source is bluetooth? My iPhone is connected to the car via bluetooth such that I can make handsfree calls from the car, and I can see all my contacts on the Tesla screen that appear on my phone.

for Tidal, is there a subscription for this?