Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify w/ V10 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised by the differing reports. It sounds good to me.
Tap the '+'. This will add a song to your "Liked Songs" and tell Spotify you like it. Skip songs that you don't. They also take other actions into account, such as repeat listening or adding to other playlists. After a few weeks of listening, try the "Discover Weekly" playlist.

This is super helpful. I know one of Spotify's famed features is being able to just do a monster mash up of all of your "liked" songs, regardless of which album/artist/genre they came from.

Spotify has a different approach to other music services I've used and seems like Apple Music copied a lot of what Spotify did. I'll just need more time with it to get a handle on it.

Having it free to play with till the end of the year makes this less stressful. :)

Reactions: PoitNarf
It could be a combination of normalization and (acoustic, not bitrate) compression settings. If I remember tonight, I'll try to do some traffic analysis on my network so approximate the bitrate of the audio stream.

That would be great. I’m well aware of how bitrate affects sound quality. But I want to see documentation of the bitrate that is actually used.

Could be different on wifi v. cellular though.

One thing I don't understand is why restrict Spotify regular accounts?
Spotify would still make money with the ad's.
For tesla its just an app, yes there may be coding involved...but if there is premium, then even regular app shouldn't be that much of extra effort. Does Tesla have to pay Spotify for having an app that is actually used?

One thing I don't understand is why restrict Spotify regular accounts?
Spotify would still make money with the ad's.
For tesla its just an app, yes there may be coding involved...but if there is premium, then even regular app shouldn't be that much of extra effort. Does Tesla have to pay Spotify for having an app that is actually used?

The Spotify API is only available to Premium accounts. So Tesla has no control over this.

It is one of the features that Spotify uses to encourage people to upgrade to a Premium account.

It may come from the fact that they don't want 3rd party apps to be responsible for displaying ad banners and having an interface to click on them for more information. (It would be too easy for the apps to suppress the ads, even if just by muting them.)

Last edited:
Just wanted to chime in and say I'm pretty happy with the spotify implementation. I had been using spotify on my phone over BT for the last year or so and when I would go back to slacker (usually only if my phone died or something) there was a noticable difference in quality with compared to spotify on my phone set to very high quality. I was thinking I might still use the phone if the quality of the integrated spotify was the same as slacker but after some experimenting last night I am pretty sure the quality is only slightly lower than using my phone. I am ok with that as the convienance of having it integreated outweighs the slight downgrade in quality. Overall really pleased to finally have Spotify in my model 3!

Reactions: malou
Listened to one of the "playlists" I chose last night when I briefly set up my account on my way in this morning with v10 software.

Big 'meh' so far.

Sound quality sounds lower than Slacker which is a little mind blowing. Slacker premium supposed to support 128 or 256 kbps audio bit-rate but Tesla apparently throttling it to something horrible.

No ability to thumbs up or thumbs down a track.

At the end of the day all I want is to listen to commercial free music where I can skip the tracks I don't like and rate the tracks I do like so I hear more music like that. Slacker does this but is just absolutely horrid. Super repetitive and it seems like for any given artist/genre there are about 20-30 artists that Slacker gets some kind of super cheap price on their music because 75% of the music you get will come from that same group of artists. The only slacker station I've listened to that didn't suck was the classic rock one... probably because the catalog is so huge they don't have as many repeats.

Strange, Spotify is great! Sound quality, it is so much better than anything I listened to in the car. I immediately cancelled my Slacker and Apple Music subscription

I just pulled the trigger and signed up for Spotify Premium. When I play a song in the car’s Spotify app, it syncs with the phone and the phone would also show the same song being played in the phones app. Anyone seeing the same? Makes me wonder if it’s just simply playing through Bluetooth or actually through the car’s Spotify.

Also it looks like once you sign in to Spotify in your car, it will make Spotify your default player. I tried to search for a specific song and wanted to played it through Spotify and Slacker to compare the sound. Since Tesla has combined the search, it will automatically play the song through Spotify. I tried to make it play on slacker but couldn’t find a way.

I just pulled the trigger and signed up for Spotify Premium. When I play a song in the car’s Spotify app, it syncs with the phone and the phone would also show the same song being played in the phones app. Anyone seeing the same? Makes me wonder if it’s just simply playing through Bluetooth or actually through the car’s Spotify.
This is a standard Spotify feature (implemented on the server side). You can switch the ongoing playback session between different devices that are online (also works with computers). Has nothing to do with Bluetooth.

• Informative
Reactions: eCharcoal

That's just how Spotify works. Anywhere you are logged into Spotify can work as a control for wherever the music is playing. This is the upside of Spotify only permitting one stream per user. If you look closely at the phone's app when your car is Spotifying, you should see that while you see all the information about what is being played, it is actually playing from the car itself; you can verify this by turning off Bluetooth on your phone and observing your music continuing to play. It'd doubly neat because you can, when listening to music in the car, pick up your phone and tell Spotify to send the music to your desktop computer at home (or wherever else you happen to have it open) and still have your music playing when you get inside.

• Informative
Reactions: eCharcoal
This is a standard Spotify feature (implemented on the server side). You can switch the ongoing playback session between different devices that are online (also works with computers). Has nothing to do with Bluetooth.

That's just how Spotify works. Anywhere you are logged into Spotify can work as a control for wherever the music is playing. This is the upside of Spotify only permitting one stream per user. If you look closely at the phone's app when your car is Spotifying, you should see that while you see all the information about what is being played, it is actually playing from the car itself; you can verify this by turning off Bluetooth on your phone and observing your music continuing to play. It'd doubly neat because you can, when listening to music in the car, pick up your phone and tell Spotify to send the music to your desktop computer at home (or wherever else you happen to have it open) and still have your music playing when you get inside.
I see. I’m getting there.

I want NAPSTER!

But, seriously, the whole regression with no longer being able to request and play a song with voice control, and having to mess with the screen while driving, IMHO far outweighs any possible advantage to potentially having more choices. Maybe there's an easter egg voice command, like I discovered "Cancel Navigation".

Anybody figure out a safe way to search -> play music without crashing?
Or is that the whole idea, to force you to accept pre-packaged lists?

Last edited: