TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Spotify w/ V10 update

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by M3LL0, Sep 27, 2019.

1. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

This is super helpful. I know one of Spotify's famed features is being able to just do a monster mash up of all of your "liked" songs, regardless of which album/artist/genre they came from.

Spotify has a different approach to other music services I've used and seems like Apple Music copied a lot of what Spotify did. I'll just need more time with it to get a handle on it.

Having it free to play with till the end of the year makes this less stressful. :)

• Like x 1
  2. dave999z

dave999z Member

That would be great. I’m well aware of how bitrate affects sound quality. But I want to see documentation of the bitrate that is actually used.

Could be different on wifi v. cellular though.

3. joosh

joosh Member

Not in my case, it is now much better than streaming Spotify over bluetooth and now equal to if not better than Slacker IMO. Spotify premium account here

• Like x 3
  4. 1337

1337 New Member

One thing I don't understand is why restrict Spotify regular accounts?
    Spotify would still make money with the ad's.
    For tesla its just an app, yes there may be coding involved...but if there is premium, then even regular app shouldn't be that much of extra effort. Does Tesla have to pay Spotify for having an app that is actually used?

5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

#45 MP3Mike, Sep 30, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    The Spotify API is only available to Premium accounts. So Tesla has no control over this.

It is one of the features that Spotify uses to encourage people to upgrade to a Premium account.

It may come from the fact that they don't want 3rd party apps to be responsible for displaying ad banners and having an interface to click on them for more information. (It would be too easy for the apps to suppress the ads, even if just by muting them.)

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Had anyone figured how to add stations?

7. harcocjh

harcocjh Member

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm pretty happy with the spotify implementation. I had been using spotify on my phone over BT for the last year or so and when I would go back to slacker (usually only if my phone died or something) there was a noticable difference in quality with compared to spotify on my phone set to very high quality. I was thinking I might still use the phone if the quality of the integrated spotify was the same as slacker but after some experimenting last night I am pretty sure the quality is only slightly lower than using my phone. I am ok with that as the convienance of having it integreated outweighs the slight downgrade in quality. Overall really pleased to finally have Spotify in my model 3!

• Like x 1
  8. Dutchie

Dutchie Active Member

Strange, Spotify is great! Sound quality, it is so much better than anything I listened to in the car. I immediately cancelled my Slacker and Apple Music subscription

9. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

I have not. Looks like you need to set it up from another device to have the car make it available.
    I’m also confused why the Tesla search function is seemingly ignoring the Spotify availability.

next update maybe had more enhancements.

10. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I wouldn't count on it considering that Spotify support has been in Teslas for years. (Non-NA customers get it instead of Slacker included with their car.)

11. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

That works for me. The search results don't say what app will be used to play the song, but if I tap a result it plays in Spotify.

12. eCharcoal

eCharcoal Member

I just pulled the trigger and signed up for Spotify Premium. When I play a song in the car’s Spotify app, it syncs with the phone and the phone would also show the same song being played in the phones app. Anyone seeing the same? Makes me wonder if it’s just simply playing through Bluetooth or actually through the car’s Spotify.

Also it looks like once you sign in to Spotify in your car, it will make Spotify your default player. I tried to search for a specific song and wanted to played it through Spotify and Slacker to compare the sound. Since Tesla has combined the search, it will automatically play the song through Spotify. I tried to make it play on slacker but couldn’t find a way.

13. TomT

TomT Technical Maven

It has to be paid.

14. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

This is a standard Spotify feature (implemented on the server side). You can switch the ongoing playback session between different devices that are online (also works with computers). Has nothing to do with Bluetooth.

• Informative x 1
  15. CuriousG

CuriousG Active Member

Just don't tell anyone about your CompuServ, AOL, Prodigy and MySpace accounts.

• Funny x 3
  16. DopeGhoti

DopeGhoti Active Member

That's just how Spotify works. Anywhere you are logged into Spotify can work as a control for wherever the music is playing. This is the upside of Spotify only permitting one stream per user. If you look closely at the phone's app when your car is Spotifying, you should see that while you see all the information about what is being played, it is actually playing from the car itself; you can verify this by turning off Bluetooth on your phone and observing your music continuing to play. It'd doubly neat because you can, when listening to music in the car, pick up your phone and tell Spotify to send the music to your desktop computer at home (or wherever else you happen to have it open) and still have your music playing when you get inside.

• Informative x 1
  17. Jazz_MIII

Jazz_MIII Member

In my defense...Pandora was THE original music streaming service...and since then more options have become available and I was reluctant to change :p

18. eCharcoal

eCharcoal Member

I see. I’m getting there.

19. DopeGhoti

DopeGhoti Active Member

Excuse me, but ShoutCAST and The Music Genome Project would both like a word...

• Funny x 2
  20. Fernand

Fernand Active Member

#60 Fernand, Sep 30, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    I want NAPSTER!

But, seriously, the whole regression with no longer being able to request and play a song with voice control, and having to mess with the screen while driving, IMHO far outweighs any possible advantage to potentially having more choices. Maybe there's an easter egg voice command, like I discovered "Cancel Navigation".

Anybody figure out a safe way to search -> play music without crashing?
    Or is that the whole idea, to force you to accept pre-packaged lists?