Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify w/ V10 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  1. Did Spotify access come with the vehicle?
  2. Did you need to create any sort of Spotify account?
  3. If you did need to create a Spotify account, and if you used that account on the car and your phone at the same time, what happened?
  4. Have you seen any general stability problems since the V10 upgrade?

In Canada

1. We've received Spotify only with V10 update
2. I did create an account with Spotify. Which I use on our Tesla now. I went premium.
3. Never tried it.
4. Sometimes it looks like the signal is just lost and music stop playing

I bases in EU, Netherlands. Here have answer to your questions:

1-. I was never able to log in with my personal spotify account(free) but i do have a button that sais “Use your Tesla Account” that i clicked and logged in. Then I can make use if it completely
2-. No i did’t need to create any account
3-. I can use my personal account anywhere except i the car. The car always reports “incorrect user/pass”
4-. Didn’t have any problem with V10, neither with V9. Everything works exactly the same

Thank you very much @Giru for your reply. I believe this confirms my theory that prior to V10 roll-out in the US and Canada, Spotify integration was very different. I believe V10 is Tesla's first attempt at supporting customer-supplied premium accounts and I believe all of the code for negotiating device hand-off is new.

Impacted by stability issues in the Spotify App?

I opened a support ticket on Tesla.com to report these issues. In that support instance I included a link to Post #103. If you are also impacted and would like to report these issues to Tesla, please consider doing the same. (Tesla.com -> Sign in -> Manage -> Request Help)

Thanks!

Reactions: malou
Thank you very much @Giru for your reply. I believe this confirms my theory that prior to V10 roll-out in the US and Canada, Spotify integration was very different. I believe V10 is Tesla's first attempt at supporting customer-supplied premium accounts and I believe all of the code for negotiating device hand-off is new.

Impacted by stability issues in the Spotify App?

I opened a support ticket on Tesla.com to report these issues. In that support instance I included a link to Post #103. If you are also impacted and would like to report these issues to Tesla, please consider doing the same. (Tesla.com -> Sign in -> Manage -> Request Help)

Thanks!

yes will do but worth noting that Spotify login was available prior to v10 in Europe and the stability still had issues.

@Rooster6655 are you saying that you were able to log in with your own personal Spotify premium account prior to V10? I ask because @Giru indicated he was never able to successfully do that. Looks like he's near Amsterdam.

Actually he said he was trying to use a free Spotify account:

I clicked on Spotify icon inside music and it asks me for login. I gove my credentials of free spotify

Last edited:
Pure rotten experience with Spotify this morning.

I got in the car and Spotify resumed playback of a "radio station" that had been created by an earlier song selection. I drove to work and after playback of two songs the audio was gone even though the interface showed the playback was still going. Skipped track and it just resulted in a spinning circle on the Spotify display. Nothing I attempted including selection of a different Spotify playlist got audio playback to resume so I just ended up listening to FM radio on the rest of my drive.

I got back in the car an hour later and playback was working again. Then after I got out of the car and got back in I got into a situation again where I was getting no audio playback even though the track showed the time counter going.

I had a problem a few days ago where after leaving my car my Apple Watch kept showing the song that the car had been playing along with playback controls, like the playback was being handed off.... maybe my Apple products and apps are contributing to the problem.

In general Spotify on Tesla has been extraordinarily buggy compared to Slacker which has bugs for sure. I'm amazed it's the standard offer in Monday, it feels like alpha software not something that should be in an automotive product.

I think many of the problems people are reporting are because the app is not robust enough when dealing with cellular connectivity problems. Given how much time they've had to work on the app (assuming the US version uses the same codebase as the EU version that has been available for years) I'm surprised it isn't more stable. Nonethless, I haven't had too many issues and it's still better than having to fumble with the phone ...

I had a problem a few days ago where after leaving my car my Apple Watch kept showing the song that the car had been playing along with playback controls, like the playback was being handed off.... maybe my Apple products and apps are contributing to the problem.

Unless things changed with the Spotify update on iOS of this morning, the Apple Watch will (almost) always mirror what's playing on the phone. (I say almost because right now it's not the case with Spotify app on the watch. Now playing is ok, but watch Spotify is out of sync).

So in your case the phone was picking up that your car was playing something.

I gave a go at Tesplayer yesterday (now that I have browser support :) ). For now this and Bluetooth will do. Very disappointed too in Spotify in the car, as this was the #1 feature I wanted from V10. The UI is near perfect, but the usage... ouff.

Pure rotten experience with Spotify this morning.

I got in the car and Spotify resumed playback of a "radio station" that had been created by an earlier song selection. I drove to work and after playback of two songs the audio was gone even though the interface showed the playback was still going. Skipped track and it just resulted in a spinning circle on the Spotify display. Nothing I attempted including selection of a different Spotify playlist got audio playback to resume so I just ended up listening to FM radio on the rest of my drive.

I got back in the car an hour later and playback was working again. Then after I got out of the car and got back in I got into a situation again where I was getting no audio playback even though the track showed the time counter going.

In general Spotify on Tesla has been extraordinarily buggy compared to Slacker which has bugs for sure. I'm amazed it's the standard offer in Monday, it feels like alpha software not something that should be in an automotive product.

Same issues.

I have been able to get Spotify back (Model 3) by restarting with both steering wheel buttons.

Same issues.

I have been able to get Spotify back (Model 3) by restarting with both steering wheel buttons.

Interesting you mention that, it's what I had to do this morning, although I was having the periodic bug I've had since last year where occasionally the LTE connection won't come up when my car leaves WiFi land. It just shows a slash through the LTE signal bars until I reboot the car.

I've noticed also that "radio station from song" selection with Spotify is really repetitive... about as bad as Slacker in this respect. Not sure if other "stations" are better.

It needs podcast support. I understand TuneIn works for podcast but I feel Spotify could make the experience better. I wish there was a way to see what new episodes are available and maybe have an option to download if youre on wifi. I also hate when you go to a different episode or song, you lose your spot where you were listening.

With that being said...all this could be fixed if Tesla actually supported proper Bluetooth protocols like they said they would in V10. Not just for Apple but for Android too. Album art does not work even though Android has supported this feature for years.

If they want to partner with someone who 'gets' audio without being 'the man' they should consider doing so with Roon - if Tesla is serious about not just following the pack but doing something truly exceptional with audio I think they need to work with someone who has focused on this area exclusively.

I kind of agree about Android Auto - coming from a Volt I do miss AA on the main display, but the truth is it's not awesome as an interface experience. What is pretty good is Google's voice recognition and ability to actually do a fair amount of stuff when you ask - e..g like actually play a song rather than just display a list of results :) But having said that, AA has absolutely its own set of quirks - it sucks in streaming media from anything than the default GPMusic - once you are in Tidal, for example, as long as you spell out that you want the tune to play on Tidal it will do so, as soon as you are anywhere else however, it claims ignorance. Also...You can totally recreate the AA experience in your model 3 by just running it on your android phone - the main value is navigating via voice, the UI itself is just crippled and fairly lame. You can actually just run AA in your car whilst also streaming and controlling spotify native on the big display and they will follow each other when it's working properly.

But really - just partner with someone else experienced to supply the audio browsing discovery and playback, preferably a system that can then itself connect to other providers GPM, Tidal, Qobuz, Amazon Prime Video as well as your local car USB media and potentially Bluetooth. It needs to all feel super coherent, truly, and now it's kind of a mess.

Has anyone with the free 3 month premium trial been able to log in to Spotify? Every time I try to log in, I get "Invalid Account".

I did. I had a free account, then upgraded to premium for three months. I then logged in on the Tesla and have not had the issues people are experiencing here. It sees all my albums and artists and now the playlists are showing up too.

I did. I had a free account, then upgraded to premium for three months. I then logged in on the Tesla and have not had the issues people are experiencing here. It sees all my albums and artists and now the playlists are showing up too.
I have also signed up for Spotify premium for 3 months and have had no problem. Albums/artists are showing up but I am not able to add any from the car. New albums/artists I add on my phone do show up though.
Should I be able to add them from the car?