Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify w/ V10 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a 90 day premium trial so set it up tonight. Seems pretty basic in the Tesla which is surprising since I think it’s been available on Tesla in Europe for years now.

I just want to play radio stations based on bands or genres and not have it be as sucky or repetitive as Slacker.

Reactions: calidreamz808
Do you know what the actual bitrate is, for people with a premium spotify account and premium tesla connectivity?

With trained ears you can tell the difference between low and high bitrate music. For example, you can play a song from USB drive, compare same song to playing over Bluetooth, and the same song over one of the streaming thing, and you should hear a difference. But it'll be hard to determine the exact numerical bitrate value.

Reactions: BCNY
Frustrated trying to get Spotify working after updating to V10 today. Here’s my problem. When I signed up for Spotify years ago, I used Facebook to sign up instead of my email address. So there is no option to use Facebook but a support page indicates that all I needed to do was to follow a link to Spotify and reset my password. Supposedly when Spotify sends you a reset link to your email, it’s supposed to log your email so that it can then be used to log in to Spotify in the Tesla. I tried this method 4 times. I tried using a user name and password and I also tried using my email and my password. Neither work. Hopefully Spotify can get this resolved.

• Informative
Reactions: malou
Frustrated trying to get Spotify working after updating to V10 today. Here’s my problem. When I signed up for Spotify years ago, I used Facebook to sign up instead of my email address. So there is no option to use Facebook but a support page indicates that all I needed to do was to follow a link to Spotify and reset my password. Supposedly when Spotify sends you a reset link to your email, it’s supposed to log your email so that it can then be used to log in to Spotify in the Tesla. I tried this method 4 times. I tried using a user name and password and I also tried using my email and my password. Neither work. Hopefully Spotify can get this resolved.
I was put off by this at first too, but then I read the page closely. Use the password reset tool, give it your Facebook login email address. You'll get an email with a password reset link. Use it, give yourself a password. You can then log in to Spotify using that email address and the passwords you've selected in addition to still being able to use FB login if you really want to. Go to the login screen in the Tesla MFD, use the email address and the password you will have just set up. Worked first time for me.

Listened to one of the "playlists" I chose last night when I briefly set up my account on my way in this morning with v10 software.

Big 'meh' so far.

Sound quality sounds lower than Slacker which is a little mind blowing. Slacker premium supposed to support 128 or 256 kbps audio bit-rate but Tesla apparently throttling it to something horrible.

No ability to thumbs up or thumbs down a track.

At the end of the day all I want is to listen to commercial free music where I can skip the tracks I don't like and rate the tracks I do like so I hear more music like that. Slacker does this but is just absolutely horrid. Super repetitive and it seems like for any given artist/genre there are about 20-30 artists that Slacker gets some kind of super cheap price on their music because 75% of the music you get will come from that same group of artists. The only slacker station I've listened to that didn't suck was the classic rock one... probably because the catalog is so huge they don't have as many repeats.

How can I get the voice activation to play the song automatically? Say I say “play old town road” - it just goes to the search results? How do I know the search result will open slacker or Spotify?
Some folks on Reddit have surmised that since the car doesn't have a way of asking for a default player (when you sign into Spotify) it will always send search requests to the screen for choice (between Slacker and Spotify).

• Informative
Reactions: N.Y.R.
Sound quality sounds lower than Slacker which is a little mind blowing. Slacker premium supposed to support 128 or 256 kbps audio bit-rate but Tesla apparently throttling it to something horrible.
It's fascinating seeing reports like this because they are exactly the opposite of my experience so far. For me, going from Slacker to Spotify was almost as much a jump in audio quality as from AM to FM radio.

It's fascinating seeing reports like this because they are exactly the opposite of my experience so far. For me, going from Slacker to Spotify was almost as much a jump in audio quality as from AM to FM radio.
Agree. In my car, an update a week or so ago made Slacker sound much better than it ever had, and now Spotify sounds even more rich, even at low volume. Indeed, I think that anything over 40% would be uncomfortably loud, though still very clear.

I'm surprised by the differing reports. It sounds good to me.
No ability to thumbs up or thumbs down a track.
Tap the '+'. This will add a song to your "Liked Songs" and tell Spotify you like it. Skip songs that you don't. They also take other actions into account, such as repeat listening or adding to other playlists. After a few weeks of listening, try the "Discover Weekly" playlist.

Perhaps the issue is that it has a different normalized volume. I've only listened to it for 20 mins so far, will take more seat time to say definitively.

Reactions: outdoors