Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify w/ V10 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have also signed up for Spotify premium for 3 months and have had no problem. Albums/artists are showing up but I am not able to add any from the car. New albums/artists I add on my phone do show up though.
Should I be able to add them from the car?

Hmmm, I don't know. I'll have to try. I haven't tried adding artists or albums, but I have hit the plus sign on songs and they show up on the liked songs list.

Spotify on the M3 has been a disaster for me. My laptop and iPhone sync perfectly, but nothing syncs to the Tesla. So I added some stuff while in the car. Today I added two albums and hit the save button. Went to lunch, came back to the car and the 2 albums were gone. I'm a new Spotify subscriber, so many I don't know how to use it, but it works fine on my other devices. A conversation with Spotify was less than useless. Won't renew at 90 days at this rate.

I agree. I can't get my library from my account to show in my car unless I have the app on my phone, in which it was completely confused which speaker it should be playing on?!?!? If you have to have your phone on Spotify to make the Spotify work in the car... TWO THUMBS DOWN. This is so dumb. It should work in the same way Slacker does, independent of what is running on the phone.

Hmmm, I don't know. I'll have to try. I haven't tried adding artists or albums, but I have hit the plus sign on songs and they show up on the liked songs list.

Do you only have the Spotify selected in your car or do you have to have it on your phone as well? I'm confused. When I had the app on my phone, Spotify in the car DID see my albums, but it continued to get confused as to what speakers to use, phone, home, car... so I deleted it from my phone. If it's not on my phone... I don't see any of my music in my library although I am signed into my Premium Spotify account.

We use Spotify family (6 members) across several devices. I've been playing with Spotify in the car trying to understand why it's felt so unstable and I think may have found the answer. I believe that most of the problems I've been experiencing are because Tesla didn't implement Spotify device hand-off properly.

The most common problem I see is an infinite loading screen:

View attachment 462193

It seemed to randomly happen in the Playlist screen as wall as the Song screen. I say seemingly random because I found the pattern. Turns out the Tesla only gets stuck when I've been running Spotify on my Android phone. If I completely close the Spotify app on my phone, the loading issues go away.

The next issue is with sending music from the phone to the car as the playback device. Even though the song plays, sometimes it doesn't show that there's even a next track. The phone sees it, but the car does not.

View attachment 462194

View attachment 462195

Finally, I've had times when even though I select the car as the active playback device:

View attachment 462196

the car does a little refresh spin and then tells me music is still playing on another device.

View attachment 462197

IMO, device hand-off is not implemented correctly. The car is not taking active status away from another device when the user performs an action that should make it active (for example, browsing or selecting a track which leads to the infinite loading issue.) The car is also not receiving active status when another device tries to push active to it (switching device to the car from the phone).

I'd like to know if anyone else can confirm these things. And if so, maybe we can open up some bug reports.

I'm having the same problem, so I deleted the app from my phone. If the app is not on my phone, although I'm signed into the Premium account in the car, it doesn't see my library. So annoying.

I can’t figure out how to get podcasts in Spotify. Anyone figure this out?
You can only do so through the "Your Daily Podcasts" and "Your Daily Drive" playlists that Spotify creates for you. "Follow" those on a mobile app and they appear in your Tesla. But it's still pretty unusable. The problem is not Tesla's, but that Spotify is still figuring out how to best support podcasts.

Reactions: Rick M
If you have to have your phone on Spotify to make the Spotify work in the car...

You don't need the app on your phone for Spotify to work on your car touchscreen. Any missing feature is coincidental and a bug on Tesla side or poor Spotify API.

The phone app (or browser or desktop app) will only useful to create your own playlist and easily manage your library.

Reactions: enolam
You can add podcasts using tune-in - create a free account, then just favourite them and you can pop them in a subfolder for organization if you like - I just took my faves from spotify and added them manually to tune-in. Not ideal, but, hopefully improvements will come ?

I'm having the same problem, so I deleted the app from my phone. If the app is not on my phone, although I'm signed into the Premium account in the car, it doesn't see my library. So annoying.

I checked today. I left my phone in the house, far from my car. It was "disconnected" from my Tesla. I went into Spotify in the car and it had all my songs, albums, etc.

Reactions: enolam and malou
So I tried to use Spotify today. I noticed that when a song ends, it won't advance to the next song. It just spins like it is trying to find a connection. If I press the forward button, it will advance to the next song. Also, the shuffle button won't stay on. Each time I get into the car and select spotify, the shuffle button is off. It doesn't remember. I have the premium family account...

Maybe a dumb question but... how do you resume Spotify playback after switching to the FM radio? You would think pushing the Spotify button would do that, but it only shows you the interface to start playing a new track.
You select a new track...

I gave "Car Spotify" a second try yesterday, in case it got better with the last update. What you're saying is the real issue. There's no way to Transfert playback to Car Spotify. Try this in your cars :

1) Play Spotify through your phone Bluetooth
2) Switch to FM (Playback switch to FM)
3) Switch to Bluetooth (Playback Switch to phone)
4) Switch to Spotify (Playback stays on phone)
5) Switch to FM (Playback switch to FM)
6) Switch to Spotify (Playback stays on FM)

Points 4 & 6 shouldn't work like this. It should switch to Spotify, aka continue what's playing on your phone.

Bonus points, play Spotify on your phone and select the car from your phone. Doesn't matters if the car is on phone or Spotify tab, it won't play anything. That's the point that need fixing and make me stay on Bluetooth for now.

Reactions: tebling
After the latest Tesla update I was anxious to see if there were any improvements in Spotify. Saved 2 new albums.... after an hour or so they were gone. This is really pitiful. I don't know if the issue is Spotify or Tesla, but this app should 'just work'. It doesn't.

So I tried to use Spotify today. I noticed that when a song ends, it won't advance to the next song. It just spins like it is trying to find a connection. If I press the forward button, it will advance to the next song. Also, the shuffle button won't stay on. Each time I get into the car and select spotify, the shuffle button is off. It doesn't remember. I have the premium family account...

I'm experiencing this same issue. It also happens if I try to skip a song and sometimes happens in the middle of a song. Sometimes the song appears to be playing with the timer counting correctly, but with no sound. Sometimes it just spins and I get a connection error. It seems to have gotten worse lately, I can maybe get through a song or two and it happens.

This could be due to using my phone for Spotify and connecting via bluetooth, I've read about multiple device errors. Either way, it's frustrating. It is solved with a reboot, but I don't really want to hard reset the car multiple times a day just to get spotify to work.

How can I get the voice activation to play the song automatically? Say I say “play old town road” - it just goes to the search results? How do I know the search result will open slacker or Spotify?
I came here to ask this. When I had Slacker only, it would play the song automatically. Now, it goes to the search results page. Frustrating. I'm wondering if you uninstall/disable Slacker, it may work?

I came here to ask this. When I had Slacker only, it would play the song automatically. Now, it goes to the search results page. Frustrating. I'm wondering if you uninstall/disable Slacker, it may work?
After using this for some time, I can say it doesn't work. It only goes to the search now. The good thing for me, at least, is the search works really well and will find the song and auto open in Spotify.