Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify without Premium Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

We have a personal Spotify account.

How can we use Spotify in the car without paying the premium connectivity?

Is it easy to do?
They are two different things. Having a personal spotify account on its own does not change the fact that it needs data connection to play spotify. If you do not have premium connectivity the alternative is to play from your phone and use car bluetooth (source) that will play your list from the phone Spotify app. This has its own limitations, see other spotify threads to know the limitations including sound quality etc.,

The other way to play in-car Spotify app is by doing personal hotspotting (iPhone) or similar method in Android. Again there are various threads. The disadvantage massive battery drain and you have to more or less take your phone out and unlock it for the car to connect to the hotspot.

Last edited:
If you do not have premium connetcivity the only alternative is to play from your phone and use car bluetooth (source) that will play your personal spotify.
It's not the only solution. You can use your phone as a wifi hotspot & connect the car to it to get a data connection for Spotify (and other streaming services).

Unfortunately phone hotspots are a bit of a pain as devices often don't automatically connect, so you have to fiddle with the connection when getting in the car. I can't be bothered with that, so I pay for the Premium Connectivity for the convenience.

It's not the only solution. You can use your phone as a wifi hotspot & connect the car to it to get a data connection for Spotify (and other streaming services).

Unfortunately phone hotspots are a bit of a pain as devices often don't automatically connect, so you have to fiddle with the connection when getting in the car. I can't be bothered with that, so I pay for the Premium Connectivity for the convenience.
Yes, just added as I was editing the response.

Much of the reason why you can't connect reliably to a personal hotspot is when your phone is already connect to your home wifi. Most phones and certainly all iPhones can't be a hotspot and be connected to Wifi. On iPhone when you go to the settings for hotspot is will disconnect from your home Wifi which is why it then can become a hotspot.
I assume that as you drive further away from your home and the wifi becomes out of range it will then connect as a hotspot.

Much of the reason why you can't connect reliably to a personal hotspot is when your phone is already connect to your home wifi. Most phones and certainly all iPhones can't be a hotspot and be connected to Wifi. On iPhone when you go to the settings for hotspot is will disconnect from your home Wifi which is why it then can become a hotspot.
I assume that as you drive further away from your home and the wifi becomes out of range it will then connect as a hotspot.
Pretty sure you can set the wifi priority so it favours your phone over your home wifi, and when at home I have the phone hotspot turned off. so it uses the house wifi as you'd hope I just turn the hotspot on my iphone when I get in the car and it all just works.

I also have don't disconnect on drive with my phone, disconnect on drive with my home wifi, so maybe it disconnects from home and switches to the phone when I select drive and that's how it does it. Either way, it's not much of a problem when I want to use spotify.

Hardly a fiddle. My setup:

Phone automatically switches on the hotspot when it connects to the car's bluetooth (and off when it disconnects)
Car automatically connects to the phone's hotspot when above is enabled

Reactions: Lee Davis
Pretty sure you can set the wifi priority so it favours your phone over your home wifi, and when at home I have the phone hotspot turned off. so it uses the house wifi as you'd hope I just turn the hotspot on my iphone when I get in the car and it all just works.

I also have don't disconnect on drive with my phone, disconnect on drive with my home wifi, so maybe it disconnects from home and switches to the phone when I select drive and that's how it does it. Either way, it's not much of a problem when I want to use spotify.
What he means is you can’t get in the car and it automatically connects to the iPhone hotspot because if the iPhone is connected to wifi then hotspot isn’t enabled, only works when either no wifi or going to the setting on the iPhone for personal hot spot

Reactions: GRiLLA
Hi

Can you post a step by step guide on how to setup Spotify via an iPhone and tether it to the car?
1. Enable hotspot in phone
2. Connect car to hotspot if 1st time, may connect if already saved
3. Play Spotify as usual, not sure if eventually will be logged out if I don’t have a premium account.

I’m using Tidal and it has the option to download to the car which is interesting so hopefully no more buffer issues like Spotify had

How do you set the wifi priority in the car? (Model 3). When I connect mine to my hotspot I have to manually make it switch from the house wifi.

How do you set the wifi priority in the car? (Model 3). When I connect mine to my hotspot I have to manually make it switch from the house wifi.
My wife is out in the car so I can't check at the moment, but at a guess I saw it under where you see the list of wifi connections. Or maybe I'm confused, which is easily done. with setting the priority of the mobile phone.

You guys are crazy going thru all that trouble, just connect the car to your phone by Bluetooth, and run your Spotify premium account from your phone while it charges. Quality issues? C'monn, it's a car drive not a studio session. The avg human won't notice any difference in quality.
And how do you propose someone selects what they want to listen to without touching their phone?

My wife is out in the car so I can't check at the moment, but at a guess I saw it under where you see the list of wifi connections. Or maybe I'm confused, which is easily done. with setting the priority of the mobile phone.
You can't set the priority of the WiFi connection. I've now removed the home WiFi connection from the car and only let it connect to my hotspot.

I've never seen any automatic switching between home/hotspot wifi in the 13 months since I started using my iPhone as a hotspot.

On arriving home the car connects itself to wifi & has done so for many months (didn't used to).

If I switch the phone hotspot on before leaving home, the settings page needs to remain open whilst selecting wifi on the car screen & then a manual selection to the phone hotspot overrides the home wifi before driving off. I only bother with this for longer journeys, preferring USB music for most journeys and the voider command 'USB' nearly always returns to the last piece of music I was listening to.

My one year free is coming up this month. As much as I hate subscriptions and really don’t want another, it works out to 34 cents a day. Probably not worth me aggravating and fumbling with my phone before driving and during.

My cell provider (T-Mobile) sucks hard too with signal. Tesla’s AT&T network seems slightly better. There've been places the car has signal but not my phone. But never the other way around.