Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any thoughts on cancelling Spotify in light of the Joe Rogan/Neil Young situation? I would really love to cancel Spotify but without native support of Apple Music or Sirius/XM that would leave me with streaming those things via bluetooth to listen to the music and podcasts I enjoy. Tesla being so restrictive on other sources outside Spotify is annoying.

Upvote 0
Any thoughts on cancelling Spotify in light of the Joe Rogan/Neil Young situation? I would really love to cancel Spotify but without native support of Apple Music or Sirius/XM that would leave me with streaming those things via bluetooth to listen to the music and podcasts I enjoy. Tesla being so restrictive on other sources outside Spotify is annoying.
I am liking Tidal a lot these days, I have tried their $2 for three month promo deal and if Tesla would just improve the UI a bit... I didn't think I would be able to tell the difference in music quality but I really can. There are some significant differences like storing HiFi music locally, but its an option. If I cancelled Spotify it would be for Neil's original gripe at Spotify, that being poor music quality. But I have the whole family on Spotify's premium plan so I would get a lot of blowback if I did. I do not think Tidal has a family plan at the moment.

Upvote 0
Switched to Tidal yesterday. They running $1 for the first 3 months promo 9.99 after. So far no complains.
I'll have to check out Tidal too. I listen to audiobooks or USB music most of the time when I drive anyway and also have Apple Music. I got a new Airplay enable AV receiver recently too and can't control the volume with Spotify so just another reason to drop it...

Upvote 0
I agree that Neil Young comes across as a lunatic crybaby. That being said, maybe if the guy could have pointed out just one specific thing that Joe Rogan or any guest said that started Neil on his rant, people would lend him some sympathy. But alas, Mr. Harvest Moon sold away his songs to Merck Mercuriadas‘ investment firm. In fact, every single artist that is trying to strongarm Spotify has got their song libraries owned by said investment firm, so they have zero say in the matter. It’s all for the unknowing public to see a little ”show”, nothing more. Spotify ought to cancel the artists whose songs are owned by Merck. Have you seen that list? No big loss there, that’s for sure!

Upvote 0
(Snip)… I don't even listen to Joe Rogan but will now try him out.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I don’t listen to him either, but if people are getting this worked up over what someone says, I gotta hear what he is saying. Sad to see cancel culture still thriving.

Upvote 0
Good for you. I’m hoping for some more diverse responses.
Probably not the diverse response you are looking for, but maybe you should make up your own mind about a company rather than using a “situation” to dictate how you feel about a company. If you liked Spotify before you found out Neil Young doesn’t like them because of Joe Rogan, not sure how the news affects your enjoyment of listening to Spotify. Of course, if everything has to be political, then I guess I do understand and you should just choose not to listen.

Upvote 0
Probably not the diverse response you are looking for, but maybe you should make up your own mind about a company rather than using a “situation” to dictate how you feel about a company. If you liked Spotify before you found out Neil Young doesn’t like them because of Joe Rogan, not sure how the news affects your enjoyment of listening to Spotify. Of course, if everything has to be political, then I guess I do understand and you should just choose not to listen.
Definitely NOT the diverse responses I was looking for to say the least. I like Apple Music. Apple Music is not native to Tesla. Spotify is. I would never have signed up for Spotify if Apple Music was native and didn’t require streaming via bluetooth. This really isn’t politIcal for me. It’s about someone on Spotify spreading factually false information about COVID and the vaccines. He has a right to believe it and say it and Spotify has the choice of their content but others have a choice as well. They can choose to not listen to Joe Rogan, to cancel Spotify, to buy Neil Young music etc. I don’t listen to Joe Rogan but I’ve read enough to know he spouts some pretty outrageous and “out there” information. That isn’t politics to me, It’s science. How this became a political subject matter boggles my mind. I was just looking for options and some civil discourse. I didn’t realize I would only hear from people who believe Joe Rogan is being unfairly treated and that Neil Young is the untalented enemy of the people. Joe Rogan is worth 100 million. He will be ok. In 50 years people will still be listening to Neil Young music and Joe Rogan will be dead and forgotten.

Upvote 0
Definitely NOT the diverse responses I was looking for to say the least. I like Apple Music. Apple Music is not native to Tesla. Spotify is. I would never have signed up for Spotify if Apple Music was native and didn’t require streaming via bluetooth. This really isn’t politIcal for me. It’s about someone on Spotify spreading factually false information about COVID and the vaccines. He has a right to believe it and say it and Spotify has the choice of their content but others have a choice as well. They can choose to not listen to Joe Rogan, to cancel Spotify, to buy Neil Young music etc. I don’t listen to Joe Rogan but I’ve read enough to know he spouts some pretty outrageous and “out there” information. That isn’t politics to me, It’s science. How this became a political subject matter boggles my mind. I was just looking for options and some civil discourse. I didn’t realize I would only hear from people who believe Joe Rogan is being unfairly treated and that Neil Young is the untalented enemy of the people. Joe Rogan is worth 100 million. He will be ok. In 50 years people will still be listening to Neil Young music and Joe Rogan will be dead and forgotten.
It became political when you said, “Any thoughts on cancelling Spotify in light of the Joe Rogan/Neil Young situation?” Not sure how that boggles your mind. If you didn’t like Spotify because they let Joe Rogan say what he wants, why did it take Neil Young taking a stand for you to decide to cancel or not?

So you're just looking for "options and some civil discourse"?
Ok, if you want to cancel, contact Spotify - I can't help with that as I don't pay for Spotify.
If you are looking for civil discourse, you've received opinions from people that are different from yours. I didn't see, nor contribute anything that was other than civil.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It became political when you said, “Any thoughts on cancelling Spotify in light of the Joe Rogan/Neil Young situation?” Not sure how that boggles your mind. If you didn’t like Spotify because they let Joe Rogan say what he wants, why did it take Neil Young taking a stand for you to decide to cancel or not?
Because like I said. I don’t listen to Joe Rogan but in light of Neil Young speaking out I did research about JR and realized he’s spouting things that don’t adhere to scientific and medical facts. That’s my feeling. That’s my thought process. Let me change the subject a bit and go out on a limb and say that you probably were against Colin Kaepernick taking a knee and are happy he’s been blackballed from playing football. If I’m wrong then my apologies. Do you turn a blind eye to numerous NFL players that have been accused of domestic violence, drugs, rape etc. Is that fair that someone has been prevented from playing football for non violent protest while others continue to be allowed to play that have done far worse? I’m nit looking for politician debate. I can be mind boggled that people do their “own research” as opposed to listening to actual doctors about his best to prevent and treat COVID. Thats like asking your car mechanic how to do your taxes or do a root canal. But yet when they do get COVID and inevitably go into the hospital and gladly accept medical intervention then. It’s crazy to me. Maybe not so much much to you.

Upvote 0
Because like I said. I don’t listen to Joe Rogan but in light of Neil Young speaking out I did research about JR and realized he’s spouting things that don’t adhere to scientific and medical facts. That’s my feeling. That’s my thought process. Let me change the subject a bit and go out on a limb and say that you probably were against Colin Kaepernick taking a knee and are happy he’s been blackballed from playing football. If I’m wrong then my apologies. Do you turn a blind eye to numerous NFL players that have been accused of domestic violence, drugs, rape etc. Is that fair that someone has been prevented from playing football for non violent protest while others continue to be allowed to play that have done far worse? I’m nit looking for politician debate. I can be mind boggled that people do their “own research” as opposed to listening to actual doctors about his best to prevent and treat COVID. Thats like asking your car mechanic how to do your taxes or do a root canal. But yet when they do get COVID and inevitably go into the hospital and gladly accept medical intervention then. It’s crazy to me. Maybe not so much much to you.
I just don’t get so “het” up about things personally. If someone decides not to get vaccinated it’s their choice, if they want to spout a load of crap again their choice (I don’t have to listen to it). Taking a knee imo is a load of tosh but again its doesn’t affect me, I don’t have to do it, so let them get on with it, although I don’t think someone should be banned from playing “handball” (football is played with feet ie soccer) though. If someone beats their partner or rapes someone then they should be in jail ( not able to play anyway).
None of these though will make me decide if I should or shouldn’t do anything or subscribe to anything. If there’s nothing I want to watch on tv I know where the off button is & frequently use it🤣

Upvote 0
I just don’t get so “het” up about things personally. If someone decides not to get vaccinated it’s their choice, if they want to spout a load of crap again their choice (I don’t have to listen to it). Taking a knee imo is a load of tosh but again its doesn’t affect me, I don’t have to do it, so let them get on with it, although I don’t think someone should be banned from playing “handball” (football is played with feet ie soccer) though. If someone beats their partner or rapes someone then they should be in jail ( not able to play anyway).
None of these though will make me decide if I should or shouldn’t do anything or subscribe to anything. If there’s nothing I want to watch on tv I know where the off button is & frequently use it🤣
I don’t disagree with a lot of what you said but the only difference is Joe Rogan has an audience of millions? and he’s a “celebrity” so people treat him different than they would if he was just some guy screaming from a milk crate at the supermarket. He’s spreading dangerous information that’s been proven false by doctors and scientists. He’s putting people in danger. Yes those people can choose NOT to listen, or unsubscribe to his podcast or to Spotify itself but JR and Spotify have some sense of responsibility to not spout falsehoods that endanger people. It’s a slippery slope I know. I am NOT about cancel culture on either side of the ideological divide but we as consumers have a choice and can use that choice to demand accountability by speaking out and not patronizing a business or entity that we disagree with.

Upvote 0
Fair enough. Like I said, I don't listen to Joe Rogan either, but certainly know his point of view regarding COVID. I don't agree with it at all, but I don't think that means others shouldn't be able to listen to it and form their own opinions. I don't support the Cancel Culture and try and force my beliefs on others. People 'should' be smart enough to listen and do their own research and come to their own conclusions. What I have a problem with is, "I don't like what someone says, so he shouldn't be allowed to voice his opinion", just like Neil Young has tried to do. You can tee it up as a scientific discussion, rather than political, but I think you are fooling yourself if you don't see this as a political issue. The fact that it all comes back to whether or not we believe people should be vaccinated or not (which this has certainly turned into) points to the fact this is about politics.

For the record, I'm fully vaccinated and boosted and believe that if people don't want to get vaccinated, then they should be at the end of the line for any treatment.

Regarding Kaepernick, I could care less if he took a knee or not. It's his choice. I'm not the least bit happy he's been blackballed from playing football.

Reactions: NJEV-Don
Upvote 0