TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Spotify

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Joetnr1, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Joetnr1

Joetnr1 Member

I'm a few days into my MS ownership and literally the only thing I can complain about is a lack of Spotify. Has anyone heard anything about a possible Tesla/Spotify relationship? Slacker and Tune-In work really well as an Internet radio option but we're really missing that full control over playlists and albums.

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Wish I could say yes, but I've grown to enjoy Slacker, but do miss Spotify and Pandora sometimes and just use them over bluetooth from my phone.

3. wayner

wayner Active Member

You can get more functionality by subscribing to Slacker's premium account, not unlike Spotify's premium accounts. Sign up online and then enter the Slacker credential in the apps section. You will also want to email Tesla to get your Tesla Slacker credentials if you want to change back.

It's worth trying for at one month for $10. I tried it for a bit but I was on the fence and decided to stay with Spotify on my phone via Bluetooth + the default Tesla Slacker account. That is helped by the fact that my mobile phone account gives me a free Spotify premium account.

4. Joetnr1

Joetnr1 Member

Great tip thanks!

5. jlucero

jlucero Member

i have premium spotify, and im currently bluetoothing it with my phone....annoying, but that is what i do. i am able to press the next and back steering wheel button and it can advance to the next song on my playlist on my phone. it used to not do this on previous updates, so i think that is pretty cool!

6. CaptDaveHowe

CaptDaveHowe Member

I do like Slacker, often calling out a group or song with the idea of maybe finding other music. Then I'll make a mental note and follow up with Apple Music on my iPhone. Also, like others noted, Bluetooth my Apple Music via the iPhone to my car. I really like Apple Music better than my old Spotify account. Enjoy.

7. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

I just got an e-mail from Tesla (mailinglist) that in the next update there will be Spotify integration! Did anybody else get it?

8. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Me too widoh!

"With today's wireless upgrade of the software you'll be able to experience seamless integration with Spotify in your Model S" (my translation)

It says you can use Spotify premium too if you have an account (i.e. my interpretation is Tesla won't give us a premium account which is fair, I guess).

9. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Ok, cool!

I already have Spotify Premium, so this is very nice :) Awesome news!

10. steph37

steph37 Member

Got it also in France.
    Next question : when ?

11. KristianW

KristianW Member

In the e-mail it says: "With TODAYS wireless software update ..............", so hopefully it rolls out to owners today.

12. wayner

wayner Active Member

Is this only in Europe?

13. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

We had Rdio which no longer exists as a company (from the 23rd of december) while in the US you have Slacker (?) which still exists. I would guess Spotify will be coming in the US too.

14. wayner

wayner Active Member

Yes we do have Slacker but I would prefer Spotify - as would many others. Since they appear to have written the app it would be nice if they used it over here, but I am wondering if they got a special deal with Slacker semi-premium accounts due to exclusivity?

15. clarkbariowa

clarkbariowa Member

16. DDarrow

DDarrow Member

I sure hope this hits the US too. I hate the lack of ability of playing an album on Slacker. The Pandora like radio gets old after a while.

17. wayner

wayner Active Member

Why have a thread on Reddit when we have TMC that is the place to go to for Tesla info?

18. clarkbariowa

clarkbariowa Member

I use both services for Tesla info. Usually posts from TMC show up on Reddit or vice versa. Lots of sources for info :)

19. slevit1md

slevit1md Member

Very disappointing if this doesn't come to the US! Slacker is very limited compared to Spotify premium and we should at least have the option to use Spotify if we choose!

20. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Yes, please let this be for the US as well! Slacker is fine for me, but Spotify would be better. I already use it on my computers and phone and it would be great to have the same service in the car too. (I know I can Bluetooth it, but integration into the center screen would be really nice.