Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotted at Hawthorne yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did they even show an X last year at the NAIAS?? I don't think so, IIRC it was just 3 MS. So, either this is a beta, or they are going to drag out a 2+ year old prototype, which would not be a wise move. I vote that this is a beta, or else it is not going to the NAIAS. Sadly, after magnifying every aspect of these photos, I cannot see any significant differences from the white prototype.

No. There was an X in Detroit in '13, but not in '14.

Hopefully this or another Model X will be making an appearance at NAIAS, my wife and I are going, and she is itching to see a Model X in person. After driving my Model S, her dream car has changed from the Buick Enclave to the Model X.

Hopefully this or another Model X will be making an appearance at NAIAS, my wife and I are going, and she is itching to see a Model X in person. After driving my Model S, her dream car has changed from the Buick Enclave to the Model X.

Another post on TMC suggests that this old X is now in the Panasonic booth at the CES this week. These new photos must have been caught as it was being loaded for shipment.

Am I the only one wondering how the Model X driver got out of the tight van, once the Model X was loaded? :) They had a cloth on the driver's door, maybe there was enough room to squeeze out from it, but it sure looked tight!

Am I the only one wondering how the Model X driver got out of the tight van, once the Model X was loaded? :) They had a cloth on the driver's door, maybe there was enough room to squeeze out from it, but it sure looked tight!

There appears to be a side door on the passenger side of the trailer that is open. Or else, maybe he just stayed in there for a free ride to Vegas.

There appears to be a side door on the passenger side of the trailer that is open. Or else, maybe he just stayed in there for a free ride to Vegas.

I noticed the side door too, so maybe he got out from the right. Then again, it is also possible the car is/seems wider from the rear than it is in the front - and that there was enough room to squeeze out from the left. Maybe the cloth was used to protect the door when doing so.

I don't think it was AutoPilot, because we can see the driver in the van. :)

The things we ponder, while we wait for actual news! ;)

I noticed the side door too, so maybe he got out from the right. Then again, it is also possible the car is/seems wider from the rear than it is in the front - and that there was enough room to squeeze out from the left. Maybe the cloth was used to protect the door when doing so.

I don't think it was AutoPilot, because we can see the driver in the van. :)

The things we ponder, while we wait for actual news! ;)

If we're talking about squeezing, there's the obvious choice - open the rear hatch and crawl through the car.

Is it fair to assume that Panasonic would not be driving demand for the Model X... alone?

I mean... why would Panasonic be showing off a Model X when Tesla Motors itself would only be talking about the Model S variants. (and how would they be allowed to get hold of any Model X if Tesla Motors was still holding the Model X reins?)

If there's one entity that could get hold of a Model X for display, it would be Panasonic of course. But... I can't believe Tesla Motors won't also be saying anything about Model X themselves. Could this Panasonic business be a clue that we'll see an unveil at NAIAS?

Is it fair to assume that Panasonic would not be driving demand for the Model X... alone?

I mean... why would Panasonic be showing off a Model X when Tesla Motors itself would only be talking about the Model S variants. (and how would they be allowed to get hold of any Model X if Tesla Motors was still holding the Model X reins?)

If there's one entity that could get hold of a Model X for display, it would be Panasonic of course. But... I can't believe Tesla Motors won't also be saying anything about Model X themselves. Could this Panasonic business be a clue that we'll see an unveil at NAIAS?

Wishful thinking - but not completely without logic. Get everyone thinking and wondering about the car this week, hit them with the reveal next week?

I still think it's wishful thinking, but I'll wish, too. :)
Walter

In the CES Model X photo there is a gigafactory poster behind the Model X, FWIW.

I think it would be beyond bizarre for Tesla to put a 3-year old prototype in Panasonic's both and then show the current iteration in their own. As such, I view this as confirmation that there will not be a reveal at the show.

If the Model X production Beta got premiered at NAIAS that would relly be out of character for Tesla. Tesla is acting more like Apple or Microsoft in this respect: they are OK with their partners showcasing stuff at these big shows, but they have their own events for product introductions.

I am waiting to see the final X as much as a little kid is anticipating Christmas morning, but right now I only see a 30% chance of that happening in Q1 and 70% it is going to be Q2. Once again, we are most likely to get an Elon tweet about a week before the show, but i am hoping we may get more info in the Q4 ER as that should have details on the 2015 outlook.

i hope theyre not going with the coupe look, as that would mean minimal space/storage difference with the cavernous S, in exchange for aerodyamics.

then again, im not an SUV buyer so whatevs.

But then again, how the hell will you fit a third row in that non existent head room back there...

If the Model X production Beta got premiered at NAIAS that would relly be out of character for Tesla. Tesla is acting more like Apple or Microsoft in this respect: they are OK with their partners showcasing stuff at these big shows, but they have their own events for product introductions.

I am waiting to see the final X as much as a little kid is anticipating Christmas morning, but right now I only see a 30% chance of that happening in Q1 and 70% it is going to be Q2. Once again, we are most likely to get an Elon tweet about a week before the show, but i am hoping we may get more info in the Q4 ER as that should have details on the 2015 outlook.

Tweet- and maybe invitations one or two weeks upfront.

And- yes, expecting this reveal event separated from old school manufacturers.

I think it would be beyond bizarre for Tesla to put a 3-year old prototype in Panasonic's both and then show the current iteration in their own. As such, I view this as confirmation that there will not be a reveal at the show.

Taking this a step further, I find it at least a little bit bizarre for Tesla to be letting the 3-year old prototype out in public at all if the final version will (a) be revealed soon, and (b) will look substantively different from the prototype. But maybe it won't.

Taking this a step further, I find it at least a little bit bizarre for Tesla to be letting the 3-year old prototype out in public at all if the final version will (a) be revealed soon, and (b) will look substantively different from the prototype. But maybe it won't.

+1. Unless it's to be there for comparison so people can see and appreciate the changes.

New Model X Pic from Panasonic's Twitter page.
Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 11.57.06 PM.png