TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Spotted Four Roadsters in SF Service Center

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by purplewalt, Nov 5, 2016.

1. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

While driving thru SF last Thursday evening (Oct. 27) on the way to my hotel, I noticed the Tesla Gallery and Service Center. I had been having an issue with a sporadic Tire Pressure warning light in my Model S (brand new tires), so I pulled into the Service Center hoping for a quick look-over and resolution in order to continue my trip.

Two things of Note:

#1 Technicians at the Service Center worked me in, pulled the suspect tire, repaired the slow leak (hole from a nail), and told me there will soon be four Levels of Service @ Service Centers (mine was Ludicrous).
    This is a test program, but be ready for this to roll out at Service Centers near you.

#2 There were already three Roadsters in the Service Center when I arrived: Dark Blue, Red and Metallic Green.
    And a Fourth Roadster (Platinum/Silver Sport 2.5) pulled in for some sort of service.
    I have seen two and three Roadsters several times, second time for a quad siting (Bonnie's 2016 Party being the first).

And following day, I stopped at Harris Ranch and another Dark Blue Roadster was spotted charging there.

So I saw five Roadsters in less than 24 hours.

• Love x 2
  2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I don't understand what you mean by that. Can you explain further?

• Helpful x 1
  3. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

The Service Personnel stated that they were doing a roll-out test program for speed/type of Service.
    Top Level will be "Ludicrous" (I had driven into Service Center unannounced, long-distance traveler with a tire pressure issue: I asked them to either repair TPMS, patch tire or replace the tire if it was not repairable).

I don't recall names for next three levels of Service (another level being "Insane"?).
    I am sure the other "named" Service Levels have to do with Standard Scheduled Service, and more intense service/repair work probably for "locals", most of the Service visits would have been the result of an owner calling ahead and scheduling their visits.

4. MileHighMotoring

This probably isn't the best thread to discuss this in, but what a silly system. First, the names are terrible. We're not talking about a car's absurd speed, we're talking about getting a $100k vehicle serviced. I don't want "ludicrous" or "insane", I want "professional" and "excellence". Then, this is ostensibly a fix for the dearth of service centers in relation to the number of cars on the road. The solution isn't a triage system, it's spending money to build 4x the number of service centers in the next year before the Model 3 comes out.

5. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Or improving the efficiency of the existing service centres 4x.

Tesla are not building another 4 factories in Freemont. They are expanding the current one, as well as working on efficiency improvements to speed up the existing lines (as Elon puts it, to speed up the cars on the line from a walking pace to a fast sprint).

The reasoning behind the new four-levels of service is around optimisation of existing facilities. Improving the number of vehicles that can be serviced each day. This starts with triaging the incoming vehicles and making sure that simple problems (such as a slow leak in a tyre, a faulty door handle, etc) don't have to wait behind a car due for transmission replacement and waiting on parts.

• Like x 2
  6. Chris Lockfort

Chris Lockfort 2008 Roadster 1.5 + 2015 Zero SR

That was me going from Bay Area to LA :) That was some fun hypermiling with only one stop each way.

Around my service center, it's not uncommon to see a few roadsters in at once just because they don't have a roadster tech all of the time, so the days that a roadster tech is in are when they schedule service appointments for...

• Like x 2
  7. augkuo

augkuo Member

The SF service center just opened up so they moved a lot of roadster service bookings to that location. I've had Johnny Chan (Burlingame) since the beginning so I decided to wait. I guess the different levels of service are needed since I had to wait about
    2 months to get an appointment - you can pay more if you needed something done right away.