Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotted in Australia and New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're right, and well spotted! Thanks; I completely missed that. The old speedometer display does mean that it's not AP.
Still a great car, though.

It could be one of the original build non-autopilot ‘doppelgängers’ of the Signatures that were delivered in Australia.

In August of 2014, prior to Tesla’s launch in Australia, about 12 Signatures were built for delivery at the launch event, but prior to the launch event AP was announced and these cars had to be rebuilt. (The August WoF expiry of the vehicle in question tends to corroborate an August build).

The non-autopilot cars had the Signature badges removed and some were used as loaners for a while and eventually they were all sold. Maybe this is one of them.

Having said all that, it is described as a Signature Edition (although I can’t make out if it has Signature badges or not) and in one of the dash photos (again, it’s not clear) it looks like it says “Model S Signature” on the screen behind the wheel. (The de-badged cars had their software updated to remove digital references to Signature as well).

Reactions: thecloud
It could be one of the original build non-autopilot ‘doppelgängers’ of the Signatures that were delivered in Australia.

In August of 2014, prior to Tesla’s launch in Australia, about 12 Signatures were built for delivery at the launch event, but prior to the launch event AP was announced and these cars had to be rebuilt. (The August WoF expiry of the vehicle in question tends to corroborate an August build).

The non-autopilot cars had the Signature badges removed and some were used as loaners for a while and eventually they were all sold. Maybe this is one of them.

Having said all that, it is described as a Signature Edition (although I can’t make out if it has Signature badges or not) and in one of the dash photos (again, it’s not clear) it looks like it says “Model S Signature” on the screen behind the wheel. (The de-badged cars had their software updated to remove digital references to Signature as well).
Great info! In the photo showing the dash, I can definitely see the word "Signature" in its distinctive style on the second line below MODEL S, just next to the wheel. As you noted, it isn't clear whether the exterior Signature badging is present, but if the de-badged cars had the digital references removed then this is likely not one of the original 12 deliveries, but was scheduled to be delivered post-launch (and built prior to mid-September, since it missed autopilot.)

Great info! In the photo showing the dash, I can definitely see the word "Signature" in its distinctive style on the second line below MODEL S, just next to the wheel. As you noted, it isn't clear whether the exterior Signature badging is present, but if the de-badged cars had the digital references removed then this is likely not one of the original 12 deliveries, but was scheduled to be delivered post-launch (and built prior to mid-September, since it missed autopilot.)

There were no other signatures built for Australia pre-autopilot other than the 12 odd that I mentioned were ‘de-signatured’ (originally the Signatures were supposed to be delivered a month or so ahead of other deliveries - but that didn’t end up happening).

My next best guess is that it was a Hong Kong or Japan Signature.

There were no other signatures built for Australia pre-autopilot other than the 12 odd that I mentioned were ‘de-signatured’ (originally the Signatures were supposed to be delivered a month or so ahead of other deliveries - but that didn’t end up happening).

My next best guess is that it was a Hong Kong or Japan Signature.

This is in the Q & A section of the web-site:
Is this a Japanese import and if so can it Supercharge?
wright (26 ) 3:26 pm, Thu 16 Aug
A. yes is from Japan and can supercharge on the vector superchargers as per my listing for free. (currently all around NZ) it cant go on the tesla supercharger ones though (work in progress) 5:42 pm, Thu 16 Aug

The seller acturly means Fast Chargers not Superchargers.
So yes a Jap Import.

• Informative
Reactions: Tension and LGGD
This is in the Q & A section of the web-site:
Is this a Japanese import and if so can it Supercharge?
wright (26 ) 3:26 pm, Thu 16 Aug
A. yes is from Japan and can supercharge on the vector superchargers as per my listing for free. (currently all around NZ) it cant go on the tesla supercharger ones though (work in progress) 5:42 pm, Thu 16 Aug

The seller acturly means Fast Chargers not Superchargers.
So yes a Jap Import.

It’ll never be able to Supercharge in NZ because Japan uses the US connector. Presumably it comes with a Japanese/US CHAdeMO adapter and that’s what allows the use of other DC chargers.

I took a test drive in a P100D Model S from St Leonards yesterday.

First time behind the wheel of a Tesla. It was tweaked down to a 75D to simulate the acceleration I will feel in a LR Model 3

Still it was super quick. Here is a shot on the M1 on autopilot

Test Drive Model S 02.JPG

Reactions: ARMARM and thecloud
I took a test drive in a P100D Model S from St Leonards yesterday.

First time behind the wheel of a Tesla. It was tweaked down to a 75D to simulate the acceleration I will feel in a LR Model 3

Still it was super quick. Here is a shot on the M1 on autopilot

View attachment 332268

A 75D is much faster than a Model 3 LR off the line. A detuned P100D is probably faster again. A 75D will do 0-100kmh in about 4 seconds flat on a full charge.

A 75D is much faster than a Model 3 LR off the line. A detuned P100D is probably faster again. A 75D will do 0-100kmh in about 4 seconds flat on a full charge.

Here are some specs from the Tesla website both locally and from U.S.A.

Model S 75D Spec.JPG
Model S 75D Specs

Model 3 LR AWD Specs (from the US)
Model 3 LR AWD Spec.JPG

The 0-60 mph and 0-100 kph are virtually identical give or take a couple tenths of a second when you convert mph to kph so the Model S 75D is currently the closest car here in Australia which matches the Model 3 LR AWD for those who want to take a test drive just for the acceleration experience

Here are some specs from the Tesla website both locally and from U.S.A.

View attachment 332502 Model S 75D Specs

Model 3 LR AWD Specs (from the US)
View attachment 332503

The 0-60 mph and 0-100 kph are virtually identical give or take a couple tenths of a second when you convert mph to kph so the Model S 75D is currently the closest car here in Australia which matches the Model 3 LR AWD for those who want to take a test drive just for the acceleration experience

You didn't say LR AWD. You just said LR. But Tesla is conservative with the S75D. It's a lot faster than advertised. I've personally seen 4.0 on the flat, GPS timed with a 90% charge. I once got it to 3.5 seconds, but that was downhill slightly on a sloped onramp. People have reported high 3's for a 75D on numerous occasions. It does drop off pretty hard after ~70kmh though.

• Informative
Reactions: Tension