TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Spotted in Australia and New Zealand

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Mark E, Dec 29, 2014.

1. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

You're right, and well spotted! Thanks; I completely missed that. The old speedometer display does mean that it's not AP.
    Still a great car, though.

2. LGGD

LGGD Active Member

It could be one of the original build non-autopilot ‘doppelgängers’ of the Signatures that were delivered in Australia.

In August of 2014, prior to Tesla’s launch in Australia, about 12 Signatures were built for delivery at the launch event, but prior to the launch event AP was announced and these cars had to be rebuilt. (The August WoF expiry of the vehicle in question tends to corroborate an August build).

The non-autopilot cars had the Signature badges removed and some were used as loaners for a while and eventually they were all sold. Maybe this is one of them.

Having said all that, it is described as a Signature Edition (although I can’t make out if it has Signature badges or not) and in one of the dash photos (again, it’s not clear) it looks like it says “Model S Signature” on the screen behind the wheel. (The de-badged cars had their software updated to remove digital references to Signature as well).

• Like x 1
  3. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

Great info! In the photo showing the dash, I can definitely see the word "Signature" in its distinctive style on the second line below MODEL S, just next to the wheel. As you noted, it isn't clear whether the exterior Signature badging is present, but if the de-badged cars had the digital references removed then this is likely not one of the original 12 deliveries, but was scheduled to be delivered post-launch (and built prior to mid-September, since it missed autopilot.)

4. LGGD

LGGD Active Member

There were no other signatures built for Australia pre-autopilot other than the 12 odd that I mentioned were ‘de-signatured’ (originally the Signatures were supposed to be delivered a month or so ahead of other deliveries - but that didn’t end up happening).

My next best guess is that it was a Hong Kong or Japan Signature.

5. Miggy

Miggy Member

This is in the Q & A section of the web-site:
    Is this a Japanese import and if so can it Supercharge?
    wright (26 [​IMG]) 3:26 pm, Thu 16 Aug
    A. yes is from Japan and can supercharge on the vector superchargers as per my listing for free. (currently all around NZ) it cant go on the tesla supercharger ones though (work in progress) 5:42 pm, Thu 16 Aug

The seller acturly means Fast Chargers not Superchargers.
    So yes a Jap Import.

• Informative x 2
  6. LGGD

LGGD Active Member

It’ll never be able to Supercharge in NZ because Japan uses the US connector. Presumably it comes with a Japanese/US CHAdeMO adapter and that’s what allows the use of other DC chargers.

7. lonewolf313

lonewolf313 Member

I took a test drive in a P100D Model S from St Leonards yesterday.

First time behind the wheel of a Tesla. It was tweaked down to a 75D to simulate the acceleration I will feel in a LR Model 3

Still it was super quick. Here is a shot on the M1 on autopilot

Test Drive Model S 02.JPG

• Like x 2
  8. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

A 75D is much faster than a Model 3 LR off the line. A detuned P100D is probably faster again. A 75D will do 0-100kmh in about 4 seconds flat on a full charge.

9. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

However, my mate in the US has now taken delivery of his M3P and reckons it is faster than his MS P85DL.
    It is going to be an interesting drive.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

I reckon Tesla are being conservative with the dual motor 3 acceleration figures so it doesn't encroach on a bigger profit model S sale.

• Like x 2
  11. lonewolf313

lonewolf313 Member

Here are some specs from the Tesla website both locally and from U.S.A.

Model S 75D Spec.JPG Model S 75D Specs

Model 3 LR AWD Specs (from the US)
    Model 3 LR AWD Spec.JPG

The 0-60 mph and 0-100 kph are virtually identical give or take a couple tenths of a second when you convert mph to kph so the Model S 75D is currently the closest car here in Australia which matches the Model 3 LR AWD for those who want to take a test drive just for the acceleration experience

12. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

You didn't say LR AWD. You just said LR. But Tesla is conservative with the S75D. It's a lot faster than advertised. I've personally seen 4.0 on the flat, GPS timed with a 90% charge. I once got it to 3.5 seconds, but that was downhill slightly on a sloped onramp. People have reported high 3's for a 75D on numerous occasions. It does drop off pretty hard after ~70kmh though.

• Informative x 1
  13. Blue heaven

A Tesla Energy version of the Hot Wheels model X I'd never seen before, I wonder if there's a Tesla service vehicle? image.jpg

• Like x 1
  14. moemoke

moemoke Member

Spotted a red (or sig red) Model X on the outskirts of Tamworth the other day, they were heading towards Gunnedah but still within town limits so not sure if a local or passing through.

15. ARMARM

ARMARM Member

Saw 2 other X's within the space of 10min driving along Narellan Rd at Campbelltown today ... it's pretty rare to see other Tesla's out my way.

• Like x 1
  16. LGGD

LGGD Active Member

On the Gold Coast these days I’d say it’s rare to not see two other Teslas in any given 10 minutes of driving.

• Like x 2
  17. Blue heaven

Considering Australia is only days away from its first customer delivered model 3 it would be nice to see one show up on this old thread.
    Has to be a customer delivered car on the road driven by its proud owner.

• Like x 2
  18. Candleflame

Candleflame Active Member

they are too busy driving their 3....

• Like x 1
  19. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Perhaps start a model 3 spotted thread?

20. baillies

baillies Member

2... one NZ and one AU