Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spouse/partner multiple Tesla app access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I are preparing to purchase our second Tesla. My question is for those who have multiple Tesla's: both will be in my name financially, do I create her a "my Tesla" account or do I just use mine and have her logged in on her phone? It is there a setting other than swiping back and forth on the app for vehicle access? Thanks all!

We each have our own Tesla accounts, but you can write an email to support and request full access between accounts. So I can still see my husband's car without logging out and back in.

No reason to not keep everything under 1 account tho. The only reason it ended up that way for us, was each car was in our own name.

My wife and I are preparing to purchase our second Tesla. My question is for those who have multiple Tesla's: both will be in my name financially, do I create her a "my Tesla" account or do I just use mine and have her logged in on her phone? It is there a setting other than swiping back and forth on the app for vehicle access? Thanks all!

We each have our own Tesla accounts, but you can write an email to support and request full access between accounts. So I can still see my husband's car without logging out and back in.

No reason to not keep everything under 1 account tho. The only reason it ended up that way for us, was each car was in our own name.

We use My Tesla account under my email. I just log into the account on her phone.

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7

Isn't with the Model 3 the phone is the key and determines your profile settings. So won't all models going forward need each driver to have their own account since the PHONE IS THE KEY?

Isn't with the Model 3 the phone is the key and determines your profile settings. So won't all models going forward need each driver to have their own account since the PHONE IS THE KEY?

No, just be logged into the account and activate the device as a key. Limited to 3 devices on the car according to my DS.

Haven’t tried more than 2 phones

I was notified by Tesla that I could add my Tesla to my wife’s existing app, what steps do I take to add my car to the same app....presently under selected vehicles it only shows 1 which is hers..do I have to delete the app and start over...thanks

I learned this and put in our Tesletter this week. Here are the instructions from Tesla's support page:

If you would like to add an additional user to your Tesla mobile app, with their own unique login details, you should first create a Tesla Account in their name. Then email us at [email protected] with the following information:

• Full VIN of the car
  • First and last name of the user
  • Their Tesla-registered email address
  • Their phone number
  • Their mailing address
The user will receive an email to validate their access. This can take up to 3-5 business days. Please keep in mind that this will grant the additional user access only to the Tesla mobile app, and allow them to monitor and control the vehicle.

This process seems very clunky by Tesla standards. Multiple users with different accounts should be able to added by a current user, either in the car or at most when logged in to the existing account. I get it -- the added phone/account will be a new key, but requiring the existing key or a logged in current user is more than enough security.

I learned this and put in our Tesletter this week. Here are the instructions from Tesla's support page:

If you would like to add an additional user to your Tesla mobile app, with their own unique login details, you should first create a Tesla Account in their name. Then email us at [email protected] with the following information:

• Full VIN of the car
  • First and last name of the user
  • Their Tesla-registered email address
  • Their phone number
  • Their mailing address
The user will receive an email to validate their access. This can take up to 3-5 business days. Please keep in mind that this will grant the additional user access only to the Tesla mobile app, and allow them to monitor and control the vehicle.

Are you sure that email address is correct for car owners in the US?
It looks like an EU address

why doesn’t my app, my husband is on it, recognize me as the driver? I always have to change names once I get in because it defaults to him - so annoying.