TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Spouse/partner multiple Tesla app access

Discussion in 'Model S' started by fasteddie7, Jan 5, 2018.

1. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

My wife and I are preparing to purchase our second Tesla. My question is for those who have multiple Tesla's: both will be in my name financially, do I create her a "my Tesla" account or do I just use mine and have her logged in on her phone? It is there a setting other than swiping back and forth on the app for vehicle access? Thanks all!

2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

We each have our own Tesla accounts, but you can write an email to support and request full access between accounts. So I can still see my husband's car without logging out and back in.

No reason to not keep everything under 1 account tho. The only reason it ended up that way for us, was each car was in our own name.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

We use My Tesla account under my email. I just log into the account on her phone.

• Informative x 1
  4. Roamer

Roamer Member

We have six Teslas on our account and 5 users. Works fine. Makes it so easy to find each other and unlock or move a car when needed. Only reason to have separate accounts would be if you don't want others tracking you or buying a new car on your account.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. therealmrmike

therealmrmike Member

I called the other day and had my wife added as a second mobile user. If you sign in online she can't see any of the car info only mobile app.

6. Mygr8

Mygr8 Member

Wow six Tesla's. Big Family?

7. NCAviator

NCAviator Member

Isn't with the Model 3 the phone is the key and determines your profile settings. So won't all models going forward need each driver to have their own account since the PHONE IS THE KEY?

8. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

No, just be logged into the account and activate the device as a key. Limited to 3 devices on the car according to my DS.

Haven’t tried more than 2 phones

9. nico180

nico180 creating simple things - is true talent

Good tip for roadtrips

10. BBB4000

BBB4000 Member

Im jealous you’re wife is getting one. My wife drives a bmw and I so want to get her the X, I hate driving her car!

11. James99

James99 Member

I was notified by Tesla that I could add my Tesla to my wife’s existing app, what steps do I take to add my car to the same app....presently under selected vehicles it only shows 1 which is hers..do I have to delete the app and start over...thanks

12. chispas

chispas Member

I learned this and put in our Tesletter this week. Here are the instructions from Tesla's support page:

If you would like to add an additional user to your Tesla mobile app, with their own unique login details, you should first create a Tesla Account in their name. Then email us at [email protected] with the following information:

• Full VIN of the car
    • First and last name of the user
    • Their Tesla-registered email address
    • Their phone number
    • Their mailing address
    The user will receive an email to validate their access. This can take up to 3-5 business days. Please keep in mind that this will grant the additional user access only to the Tesla mobile app, and allow them to monitor and control the vehicle.

13. lotusland

lotusland Member

This process seems very clunky by Tesla standards. Multiple users with different accounts should be able to added by a current user, either in the car or at most when logged in to the existing account. I get it -- the added phone/account will be a new key, but requiring the existing key or a logged in current user is more than enough security.

14. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

Do a separate account for her and use your referral code. And then you and your wife can each bring 3 people to the factory tour.