Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spreadsheet data for test of paint finish gloss and durability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This spreadsheet will be used to report data from my test of gloss and durability of the top brand paint protection and finish products. Depth of finish will be added as the test protocols for this measure are evaluated and finalized. I expect to post this weekend the first results from the gloss test of the initial finish applications.

Last edited:
The first test results are in, excluding the 22PLE, which has to cure overnight. In terms of improvement to gloss (yes Consumer Reports, all the products tested improved gloss on a new clear-coat paint finish). Frankly I was surprised at the results, especially the variations between products. But I'm also happy that we appear to have some clearly superior products, at least in terms of gloss.

The winner was Glare Professional Finish, which improved gloss by 7.38 followed closely by Opti-Coat 2.0 with Optima Ply Seal (+7.22) and Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection (+7.12). The lowest increases in gloss were recorded with the Klasse AIO with High Gloss Sealant Glaze (+4.44) and HD Nitro Seal/HD Touch (+4.08). My long time favorite, Zaino, was a disappointment as its gloss improvement ended up in the middle of the pack. To put this in perspective, the Glare Professional Finish improved gloss by 7.2 percent and the HD Nitro Seal by 4.1 percent. That's a significant but not huge difference in gloss performance.

The Glare Professional Finish also recored the highest gloss reading overall, a 106.5.

Here's a link to the updated spreadsheet.

I'll add results for the 22PLE tomorrow. The panels all go outside tomorrow for the beginning of the durability test. But for now it appears the Glare Professional Finish will give your Model S the best shine. We'll see how long it lasts.

Last edited:
I was talking today to a detailer that specializes in Opticoat 2.0. You might want to double check the gloss after it cures. He says the 22PLE leaves a higher gloss, but that the Opticoat has a more proven record for protection. Can't wait for your two measurements of these!
Gonna check out your interim winner as well.
Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

That reminds me. I wanted to ask you to at least comment on how the measurements match your impressions. Would you rank the results the same way without the meter? Any look out of place by eye, but the meter says otherwise? I know that subjective impression is what you are trying (hard) to avoid, but still we don't know that the meter measures gloss just like a human eye/brain. And the human eye is ultimately what we want to impress.

I was talking today to a detailer that specializes in Opticoat 2.0. You might want to double check the gloss after it cures. He says the 22PLE leaves a higher gloss, but that the Opticoat has a more proven record for protection. Can't wait for your two measurements of these!
Gonna check out your interim winner as well.
Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

That reminds me. I wanted to ask you to at least comment on how the measurements match your impressions. Would you rank the results the same way without the meter? Any look out of place by eye, but the meter says otherwise? I know that subjective impression is what you are trying (hard) to avoid, but still we don't know that the meter measures gloss just like a human eye/brain. And the human eye is ultimately what we want to impress.

I've been working on this indoors most of the afternoon, but when I take the panels outside tomorrow I'll make some visual observations and see if I can detect differences. Should be fun. Hope we have a sunny day.

Any long term data results? It looks from the data you posted that the shine from these products doesn't last very long.
Do any provide protection against paint chipping or scraping?

I didn't continue testing any further. Regardless of the claims made (the BS in this field is beyond imagination) no wax, polish, or similar material applied to the paint surface will provide protection from paint chipping or stones. For that you need a paint protection film like Xpel.

I continue to use Glare -- apply it about every 6 months with great results.

I didn't continue testing any further. Regardless of the claims made (the BS in this field is beyond imagination) no wax, polish, or similar material applied to the paint surface will provide protection from paint chipping or stones. For that you need a paint protection film like Xpel.

Do you believe there is ANY advantage to applying Glare every 6 months on top of an original application of OptiPro?

My long time favorite, Zaino, was a disappointment as its gloss improvement ended up in the middle of the pack.

Have you used Zaino CS? That's what I've used on my last couple of cars but haven't tried anything on my new S yet.

Zaino CS trades a little bit of gloss for much better longevity. So I'd be interested in what self-applied products protect the paint the longest.

Have you used Zaino CS? That's what I've used on my last couple of cars but haven't tried anything on my new S yet.

Zaino CS trades a little bit of gloss for much better longevity. So I'd be interested in what self-applied products protect the paint the longest.

I used Zaino for a decade but was very disappointed that it didn't test as well as a number of other products. So I made the switch.

Did you apply Xpel to your Tesla? Does it change the look of the paint?