Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spring is here when will SuperCharger construction begin?

When will Tesla begin construction on the next batch of SuperChargers

• Prior to July 1

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • On July 1 or later

Votes: 19 52.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
Spring arrived a couple of hours ago - so when will construction begin for the next batch of SuperChargers in Ontario. Last year construction didn't start in earnest until the Sep/Oct time frame. Is Tesla going to waste another six months of good weather again this year? Or will they get going soon? It sounds like they do have agreements with Smart Centres to build some new locations so hopefully they get going on this. And they finish Hamilton and Owen Sound that have been under construction for many months.

Hey @wayner ! Does this count? Toronto Eaton Centre Supercharger
If so, there are 15 people that owe me a cola!
Yes - I was wrong to be so pessimistic. Hopefully we have more surprises in the near future. That one is somewhat different from many of the others since it is in an indoor parking garage which is relatively rare. But you could see some of the others on the GTA be inside - such as at Yonge and Eg, and the North York one, depending on where it is located.

Edit - I guess the only thing about this one is that we don't know if this is a recent construction or whether this was started months ago, like Etobicoke, Hamilton, etc. For all we know they may have started working on this site in October so this could be a 2017 site that took a long time to open, like Hamilton or Owen Sound.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I think it will be split. The last of the 2017 chargers (Belleville, the two Mississauga sites) will start sometime in April. The 2018 sites will start after July 1 (Orangeville, Brockville, Strathroy). Then there's North Bay. I don't know why it keeps slipping, but I wish they'd get it built. I have relatives up there and I like visiting the area. Fingers crossed it doesn't become a 2019 site.

I think it makes more sense to do them batched by area. For example, from the 2017 batch there are the two in Mississauga that you point out and I think also the Vaughan one as well. But they may as well do those in conjunction with the ones in North York, Scaborough, the three more in Toronto, etc.

Yes - I was wrong to be so pessimistic. Hopefully we have more surprises in the near future. That one is somewhat different from many of the others since it is in an indoor parking garage which is relatively rare. But you could see some of the others on the GTA be inside - such as at Yonge and Eg, and the North York one, depending on where it is located.

Edit - I guess the only thing about this one is that we don't know if this is a recent construction or whether this was started months ago, like Etobicoke, Hamilton, etc. For all we know they may have started working on this site in October so this could be a 2017 site that took a long time to open, like Hamilton or Owen Sound.

North York maybe at the North-West corner of Allen and 401 there is a Smartcenter North of Yorkdale with great access for traffic.

There are also a couple of Cadillac Fairview sites - Shops at Don Mills and Fairview Mall. Rumours are that Lawrence Supercharger will be closed to public use once there are other SCs nearby and either of those are relatively close to Lawrence.

they had cordoned it off in December. Actually that was blackfriday when I was there, so November. Can;'t believe I didn't mention it.

I think the real answer is that building out the Superchargers hasn't stopped and will continue to expand and fill in gaps - at least through 2018-9. Hopefully, Tesla can get through the manufacturing issues on the Model 3 asap.
It isn't clear that there have been any SCs started in 2018 so I would argue that SC construction has been pretty much stopped in the last three months or so, there have been a few "straggler" SCs that seemed to be dormant for a while and one SC that hasn't opened yet -Hamilton. The only construction going on is finishing sites that have been held up for various reasons. If construction was going on in a continuous basis then we should be spotting new sites on a regular basis.

The Toronto Eaon Centre site that just opened may been under construction for many months - at least one of our forum member said that they noticed a part of the parking garage that was boaded up months ago.

It isn't clear that there have been any SCs started in 2018 so I would argue that SC construction has been pretty much stopped in the last three months or so, there have been a few "straggler" SCs that seemed to be dormant for a while and one SC that hasn't opened yet -Hamilton. The only construction going on is finishing sites that have been held up for various reasons. If construction was going on in a continuous basis then we should be spotting new sites on a regular basis.

The Toronto Eaon Centre site that just opened may been under construction for many months - at least one of our forum member said that they noticed a part of the parking garage that was boaded up months ago.
In September I had visited every supercharger in Canada. In the 6 months since then 18 new ones have opened up. 16 of those are in Ontario and Quebec. So it's kind of crazy of you to say that SC construction in your area has gone dormant. Canada has experienced a >50% increase in superchargers in the last 6 months. And in that time, the number of superchargers in Ontario and Quebec has doubled.