Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Springfield uphill to Grants Pass OR in a SR+ cutting it too close?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am planning a round trip from SF Bay Area to Portland and modeling it in ABRP.

The way there doesn't seem to bad, but I am wondering if I can safely make the trip from Springfield to Grant Pass Oregon. It seems like maybe this depends on temperature and time of day.

There are several Chademo, so I could pickup an adapter as insurance, but I really don't want to. I suppose I could also pickup a couple miles from a level 2 charger in route, but I also really don't want to do that.

The alternative would be to go around through Klamath Falls, which adds a couple hours.

Any thoughts?
notes:
* I set the temperature fairly low based on some searches for low temperatures in Grants Pass in mid October.)
* The car is fairly new.
* We currently have free super charging, so that isn't an issue.

v3rR2W5.png

Always remember, if in doubt about range, keep your speed down. That's the best way to stretch your range. Also, know where your last couple of backup charging locations are, and decide in advance what you want to see as a range from the energy screen at that point in order to skip that station.

Edit: That's only 138 miles. You'll have no problem. Charge extra if you're still nervous.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: IdaX
You should be fine. Just make sure that you charge up all the way, and pre-heat while you charge. Start out at a conservative speed (like 65 mph), and see where you are after the first hour of driving -- by then you should be feeling comfortable to drive as fast as you normally would.

In 2017 I drove that route in late April in our 2014 Model S.

My actual statistics:

Departure range miles: 227
Arrival range miles: 78
wH/mile: 294
kWh used: 41.3

Model 3 uses much less electricity than a Model S. I do not zoom up and down the hills. You will recharge the battery slightly on the downhill portions of the highway.

I suggest that before you are ready to depart Springfield, just plug the Grants Pass Supercharger into the navigation system. This will give you a pretty good idea of the remaining charge upon arrival. This calculation takes "normal" driving into consideration, and it takes elevation gains and losses too. It does not factor in weather or heavy usage of the heater, however.

There is the "energy" tab in the touchscreen. This will display a graph that shows the decline from your current charge to the estimated residual at your destination. For example, it may display your current charge as 84% and declining to 23% at Grants Pass. If this is enough of a buffer for you, unplug and leave. Just keep your eye on this graph; it is dynamic, and it will change as your driving habits are better, worse, or equal to its assumptions. You can always start your journey going a tad slower than you normally would. You can always take the climbs a little slower than you normally would. With me it has been trial and error to get to a comfort zone.

Or, as was said earlier: No problem!

In addition to the good advice above, remember that heat is expensive electrically. So if your 34F assumption is close, set your cabin heat as low as you can handle, at least until you gain confidence along the way. Grab that sweater. The seat heaters are more efficient.

I bet you'll be fine.

We'll be on a similar route Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday. See you on the road!

So that's also with a 20% charger arrival. I wouldn't go real low in case of issues or delays or anything, but if you changed that to 15% the red portion might go away. 20% should be good for maybe 40 miles (even at highway speeds) so you've got a bit extra wiggle room there.

Hi,

I am planning a round trip from SF Bay Area to Portland and modeling it in ABRP.

The way there doesn't seem to bad, but I am wondering if I can safely make the trip from Springfield to Grant Pass Oregon. It seems like maybe this depends on temperature and time of day.

There are several Chademo, so I could pickup an adapter as insurance, but I really don't want to. I suppose I could also pickup a couple miles from a level 2 charger in route, but I also really don't want to do that.

The alternative would be to go around through Klamath Falls, which adds a couple hours.

Any thoughts?
notes:
* I set the temperature fairly low based on some searches for low temperatures in Grants Pass in mid October.)
* The car is fairly new.
* We currently have free super charging, so that isn't an issue.

v3rR2W5.png
I posted in another thread--be careful at the Grants Pass Supercharger. Last 3 times I was there, several of the stations weren't working properly. I'd get started, and then stroll to the Black Bear Diner, only to get a message on my phone that "Charging has been interrupted." From my experience, use the chargers on the far left, as I've had better success with them. But be alert!

Reactions: aviphysics
I just did the trip in my SR+ on my way back to Canada, that stretch of I5 is very hilly, but you CAN make it as long as you supercharge to near 100% at Grant's pass and keep your speed near the limit. I made it with 6% I think, going about 120 (just about 75mph for you yanks). I believe I left Grants pass with 96% or 94%.

Oh, also use your trip energy meter, that thing is scary accurate, to within 2%. If you drop below 5% that is when I'd start easing off the "gas" and begin reducing speed.

• Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC
Just made this trip on a 2019 standard range m3. We left Springfield with about 210 miles. Arrived at black bear dinner with only 3 miles left. We were driving at 63 mph the entire way. Not a great feeling at all. If it wasn’t for that last stretch of regen, we would have needed a tow.

Adding my recent experience with this route:
Started around 100% at Springfield and reached Grants pass with about 40% left. Generally used autopilot at a speed of 60mph (so took some time). Also didn’t need the the AC since it was 70F - kept the fan at LO.

I guess it’s more of a challenge to maintain efficiency in the winters.

Adding my recent experience with this route:
Started around 100% at Springfield and reached Grants pass with about 40% left. Generally used autopilot at a speed of 60mph (so took some time). Also didn’t need the the AC since it was 70F - kept the fan at LO.

I guess it’s more of a challenge to maintain efficiency in the winters.
This sounds about right. I rolled up with only 6% left, but it was pouring rain in the fall and only a few degrees above freezing. I also traveled about 120kmph (75mph) most of the time, which chews through the battery in the mountains.