Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SPS Xcel Proposing $0.043/kWh fee on Residential Solar Generation in NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Easy to isolate the solar from the utility meter. Big transfer switch. With that in place, how would Xcel know how much power of your own you used? Honest question. I don't get it. At the point the feeder leaves the meter, it is yours. Confused.

Easy to isolate the solar from the utility meter. Big transfer switch. With that in place, how would Xcel know how much power of your own you used? Honest question. I don't get it. At the point the feeder leaves the meter, it is yours. Confused.

>98% of Solar PV is 'grid-tied' meaning it requires the grid to operate. You can build a 'grid-assisted' PV system but that typically adds ~40% to the cost. The utility knows how much you generate since you're required to install a production meter between the inverter and your house panel. I've often wondered if I'd be charged with theft (from myself?!) if I were to bypass this meter...

809_TypicalGridTie.jpg

April 28... is the public hearing for the Rate Case.

$0.043/kWh would be $70/mo with a 8kW PV system even if you use ZERO kWh. Yes... even if you NEVER use the grid... you would owe Xcel $70/mo on average if this rate is approved.

This rate is listed under Rate 59.

Terms like grid-tie fee used by retrograde utilities are misleading. It is not a fee, and it is not designed to offset the costs of the grid. It is a punitive tax, pure and simple, aimed solely at discouraging solar.

Terms like grid-tie fee used by retrograde utilities are misleading. It is not a fee, and it is not designed to offset the costs of the grid. It is a punitive tax, pure and simple, aimed solely at discouraging solar.

Correct... if you can make it to the Rate Case hearing April 28 please be there... and bring friends... lots and lots of friends...

Let's make it clear that the utilities do not own the sun.

Also email comments...

Last edited: