TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

SPS Xcel Proposing $0.043/kWh fee on Residential Solar Generation in NM

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest' started by nwdiver, Feb 15, 2016.

1. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

April 28... is the public hearing for the Rate Case.

$0.043/kWh would be $70/mo with a 8kW PV system even if you use ZERO kWh. Yes... even if you NEVER use the grid... you would owe Xcel $70/mo on average if this rate is approved.

This rate is listed under Rate 59.

2. JeffS

JeffS Member

Easy to isolate the solar from the utility meter. Big transfer switch. With that in place, how would Xcel know how much power of your own you used? Honest question. I don't get it. At the point the feeder leaves the meter, it is yours. Confused.

3. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

>98% of Solar PV is 'grid-tied' meaning it requires the grid to operate. You can build a 'grid-assisted' PV system but that typically adds ~40% to the cost. The utility knows how much you generate since you're required to install a production meter between the inverter and your house panel. I've often wondered if I'd be charged with theft (from myself?!) if I were to bypass this meter...

809_TypicalGridTie.jpg

4. JeffS

JeffS Member

Ahh...thank you.

5. Noneduck

Noneduck Member

Terms like grid-tie fee used by retrograde utilities are misleading. It is not a fee, and it is not designed to offset the costs of the grid. It is a punitive tax, pure and simple, aimed solely at discouraging solar.

6. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

#6 nwdiver, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    Correct... if you can make it to the Rate Case hearing April 28 please be there... and bring friends... lots and lots of friends...

Let's make it clear that the utilities do not own the sun.

Also email comments...