Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Square All Seasons with Model Y performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took the 21" Uberturbine /Pirellis off my MYP at 73 miles and installed 4 255/40 x 20 Vredestein Quatrac Pro's on Velgen VF5 wheels. I don't have a lot of experiance with the Pirellis but have about 900 mi. on the square Vredestein setup. They're quiet, seem to have the same or better steering response, and the ride is smoother. As far as acceleration, they seem quicker from a standing start. This you would expect given a savings of at least 50# in rotating mass (12-13# per wheel). I'm sure the lateral acceleration was higher with the Pirellis, but the grip in a corner with the Vredesteins is high enough to scare this old 1960s muscle car guy. This is all based on my seat of the pants feel, and I have no data to back this up. So far I'm happy with this setup.

I took the 21" Uberturbine /Pirellis off my MYP at 73 miles and installed 4 255/40 x 20 Vredestein Quatrac Pro's on Velgen VF5 wheels. I don't have a lot of experiance with the Pirellis but have about 900 mi. on the square Vredestein setup. They're quiet, seem to have the same or better steering response, and the ride is smoother. As far as acceleration, they seem quicker from a standing start. This you would expect given a savings of at least 50# in rotating mass (12-13# per wheel). I'm sure the lateral acceleration was higher with the Pirellis, but the grip in a corner with the Vredesteins is high enough to scare this old 1960s muscle car guy. This is all based on my seat of the pants feel, and I have no data to back this up. So far I'm happy with this setup.
Curious any reason you didn’t square up to the back tire?

Curious any reason you didn’t square up to the back tire?
Sorry for the slow response. I went with a square 255/40 x 20 setup vs a 275/35 x 21 for the extra 1/4" of sidewall height (NY potholes), slightly softer ride, greater and less expensive tire selection, and reduced wheel/tire weight. I don't think the Velgen VF5s are available in a 21x10.5 size but if they were, they would be heavier as would the tires. It's hard to say if this increased weight would be offset by increased traction from the wider 275 tire width as far as 0-60 times. The car is noticeably quicker compared to the heavy 21" Uberturbine setup. The lighter and narrower wheels/tires may also give a slight improvement in range. The only negative may be a little loss in lateral acceleration. Rubber compounds would also be a big factor in all of the above.