TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Square or staggered?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by kebel21, Sep 4, 2017.

1. kebel21

kebel21 Member

I'm picking up a CPO MS P90D this weekend (excited!) which comes with 19" slipstreams. I'm looking to buy 21" cyclones as my summer setup and keep the 19" set for winter. Does it matter if I buy a square or staggered 21" set? The P90D is a refresh model if that matters.

Also, anyone have experience with Auto Rim Shop? They are selling refinished cyclones at a reasonable price.

Thanks!

2. Tiger

Tiger Member

I wouldn't pay extra for anything I cannot see or feel while I am driving ...

3. David.85D

David.85D Member

I love the look of staggered 21's. Much sportier.

Seems unnecessary in terms of performance on a D vehicle, limits tire rotation, and the tires cost more. Ride is harsher, too.

In the end I stayed with the 19's for the cost savings, but I sometimes regret it.

4. silentsnow31802

I have staggered wheels on my P90DL and im glad I do. Even with the wider wheels I sometimes get wheel spin. Also if you have a top model might as well get the wider wheel option IMO. Tires are more expensive yes but who cares. Its not about cost when you have such an expensive car. If you want cheap wheels go buy a Civic.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. kebel21

kebel21 Member

Thanks for the comments. I actually wanted to make sure both would fit since Tesla stopped offering the staggered set up, but sounds like that isn't an issue. Interestingly, the refinished staggered wheels are less than the square set. May be lower demand?

6. ChameleonP85

ChameleonP85 Member

I have staggered 20s on my P85, and i can feel the difference in terms of it being sportier. Personally I recommend 20s, looks great and much better tire wear. I would be hard-pressed to believe that on a P90D (which is all wheel drive) that staggered wouldn't affect the driving. To my knowledge i never knew they offered staggered stock? - I know they did on the P85+...

in any case, i like my staggered setup, gives the car a more aggressive stance...

Check out the Vorsteiner VFF-103 - GORGEOUS WHEEL...

• Like x 1
  7. rjcampeau

rjcampeau New Member

The main disadvantage of the staggered setup is you can't rotate your tires, but maybe not such a big deal on a dual motor car.

I just bought a set of square OEM 21" charcoal grey turbines from Auto Rim Shop on eBay for my S60. They let me know in advance that since I am in Canada there are no returns but I pulled the trigger anyway since they seemed to have good feedback and the price was right.

The finish on one out of four wheels had a bit of roughness (overspray?) but otherwise they were in like new condition and the tire shop had no problems with balancing.

Big improvement in looks from the 19's that came on my car and I would recommend ordering from them. Just beware that they also sell non-OEM reproduction wheels for a bit less $$ that might not be the same quality. 20170903_145344.jpg

• Like x 1
  8. stan23

stan23 Member

I bought my staggered wheels before the car came in. IMO, it's the way to go. It looks so much better!

2G2A2709.jpg

9. stan23

stan23 Member

I've decided I want a little more front end bite and will square up my car with 9" wheels all the way around.

10. playoutside

playoutside Member

I've had two P85+'s and an P85D with staggered wheels and I really loved the extra width compared to loaner P85, P90DL loaners that I have had with square 21s.

Square 21's will definitely be more cost effective if that is key.

11. Zooomer

Zooomer Member

I have both. I love the staggered look but there are MANY downsides.
    Energy usage is noticeably higher
    you can rotate tires
    no performance improvement as car is 50/50 weight

12. aus

aus Member

Some seriously sensitive butts here who can tell the difference in a staggerd setup vs. square... while driving on the street.

And do they look different? It's not like there's more lip or concavity (is that a real word?).

13. ChameleonP85

ChameleonP85 Member

You can DEFINITELY tell the difference between a Staggered setup and Square...I have a P85 and the staggered setup feels like a roadster where the square felt more like the way an Audi would drive.

Yes you can definitely tell the difference between staggered and Square...but in my opinion I think you should do after market wheels where the offset makes the wheels flush with the fenders, it changes the way it looks dramatically.

20 x 9 in front and 20 x 10 in the back. 20160722_144620.jpg

• Love x 1
  14. The Duke

The Duke Member

"no performance improvement as car is 50/50 weight"
    LOL, what happens when you accelerate?

While we are powered at both ends, the rear has a LOT more power requiring larger tires.

• Like x 1
  15. playoutside

playoutside Member

Exactly, the car is 50/50 weight balanced when static. While accelerating, the car leans back and pushes down the rear wheels. The more surface area on the road = more traction. This is what all supercars have wider rear wheels.

• Love x 1
  16. playoutside

playoutside Member

17. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

What wheels are those?

18. EXOTIC1

EXOTIC1 Member

I prefer the staggered look on the MS.

19. ChameleonP85

ChameleonP85 Member

Rohana RFX5

The weight savings from the 21" wheels negates any higher usage. I also have UP Brackets installed for that extreme low look on the highway...and energy is use is actually lower.

The stock 21s are I believe 21 x 8.5 (which is pretty much a tesla only size) making tires very expensive. By going to 20x9/20x10 i saved a ton of money on tires, plus my tires last about 30k miles...because the rear wear out faster than the fronts, I only change out 2 tires at a time...

I chose the rohanas because i love the concave look, and they are flush with the fenders, another thing i didn't like about the STOCK 21s...

20. ChameleonP85

ChameleonP85 Member

upload_2017-9-11_10-9-31.png
    A picture of my ride...