Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Square or staggered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm picking up a CPO MS P90D this weekend (excited!) which comes with 19" slipstreams. I'm looking to buy 21" cyclones as my summer setup and keep the 19" set for winter. Does it matter if I buy a square or staggered 21" set? The P90D is a refresh model if that matters.

Also, anyone have experience with Auto Rim Shop? They are selling refinished cyclones at a reasonable price.

Thanks!

I love the look of staggered 21's. Much sportier.

Seems unnecessary in terms of performance on a D vehicle, limits tire rotation, and the tires cost more. Ride is harsher, too.

In the end I stayed with the 19's for the cost savings, but I sometimes regret it.

Thanks for the comments. I actually wanted to make sure both would fit since Tesla stopped offering the staggered set up, but sounds like that isn't an issue. Interestingly, the refinished staggered wheels are less than the square set. May be lower demand?

I have staggered 20s on my P85, and i can feel the difference in terms of it being sportier. Personally I recommend 20s, looks great and much better tire wear. I would be hard-pressed to believe that on a P90D (which is all wheel drive) that staggered wouldn't affect the driving. To my knowledge i never knew they offered staggered stock? - I know they did on the P85+...

in any case, i like my staggered setup, gives the car a more aggressive stance...

Check out the Vorsteiner VFF-103 - GORGEOUS WHEEL...

Reactions: Dan60D
The main disadvantage of the staggered setup is you can't rotate your tires, but maybe not such a big deal on a dual motor car.

I just bought a set of square OEM 21" charcoal grey turbines from Auto Rim Shop on eBay for my S60. They let me know in advance that since I am in Canada there are no returns but I pulled the trigger anyway since they seemed to have good feedback and the price was right.

The finish on one out of four wheels had a bit of roughness (overspray?) but otherwise they were in like new condition and the tire shop had no problems with balancing.

Big improvement in looks from the 19's that came on my car and I would recommend ordering from them. Just beware that they also sell non-OEM reproduction wheels for a bit less $$ that might not be the same quality.
20170903_145344.jpg

Reactions: FlatSix911
You can DEFINITELY tell the difference between a Staggered setup and Square...I have a P85 and the staggered setup feels like a roadster where the square felt more like the way an Audi would drive.

Yes you can definitely tell the difference between staggered and Square...but in my opinion I think you should do after market wheels where the offset makes the wheels flush with the fenders, it changes the way it looks dramatically.

20 x 9 in front and 20 x 10 in the back.
20160722_144620.jpg

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
"no performance improvement as car is 50/50 weight"
LOL, what happens when you accelerate?

While we are powered at both ends, the rear has a LOT more power requiring larger tires.

Exactly, the car is 50/50 weight balanced when static. While accelerating, the car leans back and pushes down the rear wheels. The more surface area on the road = more traction. This is what all supercars have wider rear wheels.

• Love
Reactions: ChameleonP85
You can DEFINITELY tell the difference between a Staggered setup and Square...I have a P85 and the staggered setup feels like a roadster where the square felt more like the way an Audi would drive.

Yes you can definitely tell the difference between staggered and Square...but in my opinion I think you should do after market wheels where the offset makes the wheels flush with the fenders, it changes the way it looks dramatically.

20 x 9 in front and 20 x 10 in the back.View attachment 246391
What wheels are those?

What wheels are those?
Rohana RFX5

The weight savings from the 21" wheels negates any higher usage. I also have UP Brackets installed for that extreme low look on the highway...and energy is use is actually lower.

The stock 21s are I believe 21 x 8.5 (which is pretty much a tesla only size) making tires very expensive. By going to 20x9/20x10 i saved a ton of money on tires, plus my tires last about 30k miles...because the rear wear out faster than the fronts, I only change out 2 tires at a time...

I chose the rohanas because i love the concave look, and they are flush with the fenders, another thing i didn't like about the STOCK 21s...