Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Square set up on wheels for MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pulled the back wheels off my model Y performance and bought two new front wheels so that I have 255/35/21 all around.

Before pulling off the back wheels I did 10 (0 to 60 runs) and average anywhere from 3.88 to 4.15. I was disappointed I couldn’t get better runs.

after putting on the Square set up I did 10 (0 to 60 runs) and got 3.55 to 3.81.

Also felt better on cornering

Not a surprise given how heavy the stock wheels are. So even dropping some weight off the rear could help. There are some youtube vids about a guy who went with Martian 18's on his MYP and I think he was in the 3.3 range 0-60. I think he saved something like 20 pounds per wheel by going from the 21's to the 18's. Something like about 16 pound savings on just the rear wheel alone.

Reactions: Tedkidd
The front wheels (255/35-21), OE Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) tires on the Tesla Performance Model Y have a lower load index of 98 (1653 lbs) than the load index of the (275/35-21) rear wheels 103 (1929 lbs.). The lower load index of the front wheels, tires means these wheels are not adequate for use on the rear of the Model Y.

If you want to square up the Uberturbine wheels the 275/35-21 wheels, tires have an adequate load index.

I pulled the back wheels off my model Y performance and bought two new front wheels so that I have 255/35/21 all around.

Before pulling off the back wheels I did 10 (0 to 60 runs) and average anywhere from 3.88 to 4.15. I was disappointed I couldn’t get better runs.

after putting on the Square set up I did 10 (0 to 60 runs) and got 3.55 to 3.81.

Also felt better on cornering

Yup. Not a bad idea if you wanted to keep the look of the 21" Uberturbine wheels. I did a series of 1/4 mile runs on the stock wheel setup, and tomorrow I am picking up a set of 19" Gemini's. I will be repeating my 1/4 mile testing and posting up the results with the new lighter wheels. I expect to break into the 11's :)

Keith

Reactions: Tedkidd
@Fourdoor - what were your stock runs in the 1/4? Are you running at a strip or using something like Dragy?
Using Dragy I got 12.01 at 114.18with a warm battery and 100% charge. Here is the thread link:

Keith

Thanks, I have been traveling a lot recently and must have missed your posts. Have you set up any custom speed ranges? For Dragy I've set up 30-70 to get an idea of the passing times so to speak.

The front wheels (255/35-21), OE Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) tires on the Tesla Performance Model Y have a lower load index of 98 (1653 lbs) than the load index of the (275/35-21) rear wheels 103 (1929 lbs.). The lower load index of the front wheels, tires means these wheels are not adequate for use on the rear of the Model Y.

If you want to square up the Uberturbine wheels the 275/35-21 wheels, tires have an adequate load index.

I don't understand this... are you saying what he did wouldn't be safe? Also -- can you even run the 21 x 10.5s on the front?

You may be correct but if nothing ever enters the vehicle besides 4 grown people is it really a real world concern?
Not to me; I know my tires meet Tesla's specifications. (The weight of four large adults can equal the maximum payload weight of the Model Y.) A tire shop would care because of the liability of installing tires with an improper rating on any vehicle.

Reactions: jpy1980
So if 275/35/21s clear the front, does that mean it doesn't matter which wheel you square it with? Meaning you could run 4 MYP front wheels or 4 MYP rear wheels -- knowing you'd need to lose the front tires either way.

I know boats. Ask me a boat question. :)

So if 275/35/21s clear the front, does that mean it doesn't matter which wheel you square it with? Meaning you could run 4 MYP front wheels or 4 MYP rear wheels -- knowing you'd need to lose the front tires either way.

I know boats. Ask me a boat question. :)
If you can find 255/35R-21 tires that fit the front 21" X 9.5" Uberturbine wheels that come with the Performance Model Y, that have the minimum load index specified by Tesla for the 275/35R-21 Uberturbine rear tires (103) and speed rating (W or Y) then yes.

If you can't find 255 or 265 wide tires, i.e. 255/35R-21 or 265/35R-21 tires that have the same load index, speed rating as the OE 21" rear tires (103Y) then consult a tire retailer such as TireRack. At one time you could order the Tesla Performance Model Y without the Performance Upgrade Package (PUP). I don't recall if this meant that you would automatically receive the Performance Model Y with the 19" Gemini wheels, tires (load index, speed rating of 104Y) or if you could upgrade to the 20" Induction wheels and tires. The 20" Induction wheels come with 255/40R-20 tires with a load index, speed rating of 101Y. The question is whether a 101 load index is acceptable when using 21" wheels. The 21" OE rear tires have a load index of 103.)

Not to me; I know my tires meet Tesla's specifications. (The weight of four large adults can equal the maximum payload weight of the Model Y.) A tire shop would care because of the liability of installing tires with an improper rating on any vehicle.

Hey Joe, I wanted to run a sanity check with you. I'm squaring up my MYP down to 20in with 255/40R20. The Michelin tires I'm looking at are have load index of 101 which clearly supports the REAR GAWR 3505lbs. (Actually, you could interpret from Tesla's Model Y User Guide that going down to 20in, the Rear GAWR only requires 3307lbs. but I digress). However, the Discount Tires (aka America's Tires, etc.) is strictly looking at the MYP rear 21in 275/35R21 tires and requiring any rear tires meet that 103 load index. They won't order a 255/40R20 because it's only at 101 instead of 103. I think they erroneously calculated this. Am I missing something?

TireRack will let me order 255/40R20 squared for the MYP just fine.

MY_loadratings.jpg

MYP_doorplacard.jpg

Your choice of 255/40R-20 Michelin tires for the Performance Model Y, load index 101, would meet the Tesla spec for the 20" Induction wheels, tires (101) . Tire retailers can't know every configuration, option of every vehicle so they are conservative in what they will sell, install.

If you purchase from Tire Rack the tires can in many cases be shipped directly to a local Tire Rack affiliated garage for installation. Else, you could have the tires with TPMS sensors installed by a local garage and put on the wheels yourself.

Don't forget to also check the tire speed rating. The Performance Model Y, rated top speed 155 MPH, requires tires with a W (168 MPH) or Y (186 MPH) speed rating. V rated tires are only rated for speeds up to 149 MPH, H rated tires are only rated for speeds up to 130 MPH.

If you never plan to test the top speed (155 MPH) of the Performance Model Y you could run V rated tires but someday someone could push the Performance Model Y to the top speed not realize that the tires were not rated for 155 MPH. V rated tires may not provide the same level of handling and control as would W or Y speed rated tires as the sidewall of the W or Y rated tires would flex less side to side than a V rated tire.

Last edited:
Reactions: BodegaBay
Not a surprise given how heavy the stock wheels are. So even dropping some weight off the rear could help. There are some youtube vids about a guy who went with Martian 18's on his MYP and I think he was in the 3.3 range 0-60. I think he saved something like 20 pounds per wheel by going from the 21's to the 18's. Something like about 16 pound savings on just the rear wheel alone.

That video is a bit misleading. A good portion of those performance gains were due to the smaller overall diameter of the wheel and tire assembly. Of course, reducing rotational weight will result in faster acceleration, but that is why there wasn't much of a difference when they changed from the 19's to the 18's, despite the fact that the 18's were lighter (both the 18" and 19" wheels and tires they used came off a Model 3). The power curve of the Model 3 is perfectly catered towards quick 0-60 times, with peak power coming between 40 and 60mph using factory tire and wheel sizing. The Model Y is more like 45-65mph due to the larger overall diameter (28.X"" vs 26.X").

• Helpful
Reactions: Blue Magoo and WG21
Americas Tire and Tire Rack wouldn't let me order my 265/35-21 square tire setup for my MYP, but both places would let me buy the tires when I said my car was a MYLR (which is what's in their system). The MYP and the MYLR are pretty much the same car, albeit some differences in the rear motor, suspension springs, brakes, and wheels/tires used, but physically for the drivability and overall curb weight (which may slightly differ, but not by much), they're the same physical car.

That said, I know the MYP requires 101Y load rated front tires and 103Y load rated rear tires, and I can get that if I go 275/35-21 but tire selection at that size is expensive and very slim. For the type of driving I'm doing (95% freeway commuting, no track or drag racing), and never having any rear passengers or stuff in the truck for any extra weight, I'm perfectly confident that my tires will hold up fine on my MYP.

However it has already been established that putting 265/35/21 tires square only change the recommended load rating by 20 pounds total for the entire car; so is that in your opinion anything to be concerned about? the relative weight 5 gallons of water. just want to put a pin in this discussion. The 20 pounds is a rhetorical question (i.e. insignificant weight) so if you have a different weight variance let us all know.

However it has already been established that putting 265/35/21 tires square only change the recommended load rating by 20 pounds total for the entire car; so is that in your opinion anything to be concerned about? the relative weight 5 gallons of water. just want to put a pin in this discussion. The 20 pounds is a rhetorical question (i.e. insignificant weight) so if you have a different weight variance let us all know.
Tires have a load index; vehicles have load limits: gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), gross axle weight rating (GAWR) (may be different for the front and rear axles)

The 265/35R-21 tires have a load index of 101 (maximum load of 1819 lbs per tire, not 1919 lbs per tire as stated earlier in error.)

The OE 275/35R-21 tires have a load index of 103 (maximum load of 1929 lbs per tire)

The difference is 110 lbs per tire, 220 lbs for both rear tires.

If 20" wheels were used, i.e. the 20" Tesla Induction wheels, size 255/40R-20 tires with a load index of 101 then this would meet Tesla's specifications. (When equipped with the 20" Induction wheels the rear GAWR of the Model Y is reduced from 3505 lbs to 3307 lbs (198 lbs lower).

When towing with the 20" Induction wheels, with more than 3 passengers, towing is limited to 2300 lbs versus 3500 lbs with fewer than 4 passengers or when fitted with the 19" or 21" wheels. Also, the tongue weight limit for the tow hitch is reduced to 230 lbs from 350 lbs.

New! For the 7 seat configuration Model Y, when carrying 6 to 7 passengers, towing is not permitted when fitted with the 20" wheels. *

* See Tesla Model Y Owner''s Manual, Page 74 - https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Last edited:
If you can find 255/35R-21 tires that fit the front 21" X 9.5" Uberturbine wheels that come with the Performance Model Y, that have the minimum load index specified by Tesla for the 275/35R-21 Uberturbine rear tires (103) and speed rating (W or Y) then yes.

If you can't find 255 or 265 wide tires, i.e. 255/35R-21 or 265/35R-21 tires that have the same load index, speed rating as the OE 21" rear tires (103Y) then consult a tire retailer such as TireRack. At one time you could order the Tesla Performance Model Y without the Performance Upgrade Package (PUP). I don't recall if this meant that you would automatically receive the Performance Model Y with the 19" Gemini wheels, tires (load index, speed rating of 104Y) or if you could upgrade to the 20" Induction wheels and tires. The 20" Induction wheels come with 255/40R-20 tires with a load index, speed rating of 101Y. The question is whether a 101 load index is acceptable when using 21" wheels. The 21" OE rear tires have a load index of 103.)
Oh - so you can’t fit 275/35 on a 21x9.5? That’s what I meant. I get the lower front index on front wheel/tire combo. So I meant different tires on the front wheel size. 21x9.5. I thought 275/35/21 covered 9.5-10.5” plus wheels. But not my wheelhouse (pun intended… and it’s super funny too)