Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeak between driver seat and armrest...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 4-month old MS with next-gem seats. Over time it has developed an annoying squeak emanating from where the right side of the drivers seat back comes into contact with the armrest.

I've tried a changing the seat adjustments a little bit, but this doesn't seem to lessen the problem

Has anyone else come across this issue? And if so, any ideas how to fix?

Thanks!

This will resolve it:
DuPont Krytox GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE / PTFE No Additives, 0.5 oz Tube: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
This is what the service center uses. One application and months have gone by with no more squeak.

There's a couple other threads where I've posted this, and people find it was the best solution.
I bought it as a result of not wanting to go to the SC after they had done the passenger seat and my driver's started to squeak.

If you're ever in the LA area, I'd be happy to give you a blob.

This will resolve it:
DuPont Krytox GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE / PTFE No Additives, 0.5 oz Tube: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
This is what the service center uses. One application and months have gone by with no more squeak.

There's a couple other threads where I've posted this, and people find it was the best solution.
I bought it as a result of not wanting to go to the SC after they had done the passenger seat and my driver's started to squeak.

Thanks so much. That was most helpful!

This will resolve it:

I had this problem as well. I asked the service center about what they used, so I could buy the stuff myself, and in retrospect, I may have purchased the wrong Krytox. (I have not used it yet, but I'm sure it's past the date by which I could return it.)

I purchased this:
DuPont MS1050101 GPL105 Krytox Oil, 550cST Viscosity, 20 Degree C, 1 oz. Needle Nose: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Any idea if this Krytox would also work?

Thanks!

I had this problem as well. I asked the service center about what they used, so I could buy the stuff myself, and in retrospect, I may have purchased the wrong Krytox. (I have not used it yet, but I'm sure it's past the date by which I could return it.)

I purchased this:
DuPont MS1050101 GPL105 Krytox Oil, 550cST Viscosity, 20 Degree C, 1 oz. Needle Nose: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Any idea if this Krytox would also work?

Thanks!

The stuff you have listed looks like it's a liquid. I couldn't tell you if it will work, but the stuff I listed has the consistency of toothpaste.

Or a better, less gooey, solution is to get a small piece of black felt from a fabric store and cut a small rectangle of it and 3M tape it to the armrest. I did this on my Sig S and never had a problem again.

Good to know, but in my experience the backing glue on the felt always failed over time and in the heat. Plus it would really be a gooey mess when hot.
Btw the ktytox is not gooey or greasy at all.

Did your sig have next gen??

Good to know, but in my experience the backing glue on the felt always failed over time and in the heat. Plus it would really be a gooey mess when hot.
Btw the ktytox is not gooey or greasy at all.

Did your sig have next gen??
No, Sig's did not have Next Gen seats (those came much later than 2012), but if you the 3M extreme mounting tape (one with the red removal strip) it can withstand high heat and never gets gooey.

I have a 4-month old MS with next-gem seats. Over time it has developed an annoying squeak emanating from where the right side of the drivers seat back comes into contact with the armrest.

I've tried a changing the seat adjustments a little bit, but this doesn't seem to lessen the problem

Has anyone else come across this issue? And if so, any ideas how to fix?

Thanks!

I have the same issue. I measured the widest part of the seat and the driver seat is 18" where as the lesser used passenger seat is 17". I thought I had noticed that the seat didn't feel as "snug" anymore (15 months) and was surprised how and why the noise got started. So I measured the seats.

If this is truly the issue, then I am a little worried that the seat is not holding it's form better.

This will resolve it:

Awesome. I will try this. Thanks.

IMG_0018.JPG
I have the same question. Sorry again if it is obvious, but can someone please describe?

Thanks.
You are probably asking about a lube but here is a pix of where I put the Velcro:

I just came back from the Burbank SC, they applied the Krytox and no more squeak. Took them like 5min and said it'll last 6 month to maybe a year. This is only on next-gen seats with the bolster sides.

If it becomes more of a issue I'll just buy the tube and do it myself but it's pretty darn easy!