TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Squeak between driver seat and armrest...

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Argelius, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Argelius

Argelius Member

I have a 4-month old MS with next-gem seats. Over time it has developed an annoying squeak emanating from where the right side of the drivers seat back comes into contact with the armrest.

I've tried a changing the seat adjustments a little bit, but this doesn't seem to lessen the problem

Has anyone else come across this issue? And if so, any ideas how to fix?

Thanks!

2. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

This will resolve it:
    DuPont Krytox GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE / PTFE No Additives, 0.5 oz Tube: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    This is what the service center uses. One application and months have gone by with no more squeak.

There's a couple other threads where I've posted this, and people find it was the best solution.
    I bought it as a result of not wanting to go to the SC after they had done the passenger seat and my driver's started to squeak.

If you're ever in the LA area, I'd be happy to give you a blob.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The loaner I'm currently driving does this. Not my car so not fixing, but it is annoying.

4. Argelius

Argelius Member

Thanks so much. That was most helpful!

5. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

I had this problem as well. I asked the service center about what they used, so I could buy the stuff myself, and in retrospect, I may have purchased the wrong Krytox. (I have not used it yet, but I'm sure it's past the date by which I could return it.)

I purchased this:
    DuPont MS1050101 GPL105 Krytox Oil, 550cST Viscosity, 20 Degree C, 1 oz. Needle Nose: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Any idea if this Krytox would also work?

Thanks!

6. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

The stuff you have listed looks like it's a liquid. I couldn't tell you if it will work, but the stuff I listed has the consistency of toothpaste.

7. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

Or a better, less gooey, solution is to get a small piece of black felt from a fabric store and cut a small rectangle of it and 3M tape it to the armrest. I did this on my Sig S and never had a problem again.

8. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

Good to know, but in my experience the backing glue on the felt always failed over time and in the heat. Plus it would really be a gooey mess when hot.
    Btw the ktytox is not gooey or greasy at all.

Did your sig have next gen??

9. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

No, Sig's did not have Next Gen seats (those came much later than 2012), but if you the 3M extreme mounting tape (one with the red removal strip) it can withstand high heat and never gets gooey.

10. mike_j

mike_j Member

Sorry if asking an obvious question, but where do you apply it to, and does it leave a greasy residue?

11. dhcp

dhcp Member

Can confirm, bought the DuPont stuff listed above which is stupid expensive and a dime-size bit of it stopped the squeaking and it never returned. Great stuff. Squeaking was driving me mad, would have paid more to stop it.

12. Fcurvetweaker

Fcurvetweaker Member

I have the same issue. I measured the widest part of the seat and the driver seat is 18" where as the lesser used passenger seat is 17". I thought I had noticed that the seat didn't feel as "snug" anymore (15 months) and was surprised how and why the noise got started. So I measured the seats.

If this is truly the issue, then I am a little worried that the seat is not holding it's form better.

13. Fcurvetweaker

Fcurvetweaker Member

Awesome. I will try this. Thanks.

14. Fcurvetweaker

Fcurvetweaker Member

Worked like a charm!!!

• Like x 1
  15. Spyder14

Spyder14 Member

I uses the fuzzy side of 2" wide velcro in the right spot on the console & no more creaking. Mine goes in next week for 12 month service but will have it on the list of to-do's.

16. iffatall

iffatall Member

I have the same question. Sorry again if it is obvious, but can someone please describe?

Thanks.

17. Spyder14

Spyder14 Member

IMG_0018.JPG
    You are probably asking about a lube but here is a pix of where I put the Velcro:

18. JasonA-EV

JasonA-EV Member

I just came back from the Burbank SC, they applied the Krytox and no more squeak. Took them like 5min and said it'll last 6 month to maybe a year. This is only on next-gen seats with the bolster sides.

If it becomes more of a issue I'll just buy the tube and do it myself but it's pretty darn easy!

19. Fcurvetweaker

Fcurvetweaker Member

I can see on the driver seat side exactly where the contact is, so I applied it there.

• Informative x 1
  20. Fcurvetweaker

Fcurvetweaker Member

To clarify, I apply it to the driver seat.

• Like x 1