Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeak/groan from front of M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quite possibly

Model 3, Model Y, and Model X vehicles, there may be a water ingress path to both front upper control arm ball joints that, over time, could possibly lead to surface corrosion of these ball joints.

Have you ever taken the car into Tesla for any other issues? Normally they would regrease the ball joints at that point under a soft recall program.

YES! Im in the same boat, I have the same issue just on my driver door.. ive taken it to Tesla 3 times and they apparently lubed the seals up which seems to fix it for a few days, ive even tried installing extra rubber seals to no/not much avail.
If anyone has a fix PLEASE help

Front upper control arm ball joint noise, known issue. Some entire UCA are replaced under warranty as they are not serviceable, pre-emptive silicone sealing on top of the ball joint by service before noises appear (doesn't work in my opinion or in my case, traps more dirt on top of UCA). Claimed successful DIY remedies; a) injection of 5-10ml of quality grease into ball joint rubber boot, or b) remove wheel and ball joint king pin and "exercise" ball joint to "move" existing grease into joint. Grease injection into the boot has so far worked for me.

During an unrelated visit to Beard Service Centre about a year ago, I saw a note on the service invoice that they did something minor to the front upper control arms. Didn't think much of it. But last December while driving around Newcastle I got squeaky steering in wet weather at low speeds. I booked it into Taren Point Service Centre. They replaced the front upper control arms under warranty. Took 2 or 3 hours, I think.

This is in a very high km 1/2020 Model 3 SR+. It was probably around 120,000km last December. It's currently at 157,689km.

Hi
I have a 2019 Model 3. It has just developed a squeak/groan from the front left when going over bumps and seems worse when moving the steering wheel.
Anyone else had this. I will contact Tesla service and see what they say.
Cheers
Happened to me also .. its a known issue with the ball-joints (well, some linkage in the suspension, I'm not an expert) .. you can get it fixed under warranty.

I had a similar issue, but different resolution. The UCA's were apparently still in good shape as all they did was the urethane sealing around the ball joints as per the service bulletin (had to wait for my appointment until they ordered new UCA's in, obviously they were expecting a replacement might be needed).

To fix the creaking noise I was still getting, they removed the front wheels & rotors, cleaned all the mating surfaces and re-assembled.

Reactions: untilcomplete
Here is a thread on how to fix (lubricate the ball joint) yourself. Eventually you’ll need a new upper control arm, but the DIY can stop the problem for an extended period of time (tens of thousands of miles).

Here is a thread on how to fix (lubricate the ball joint) yourself. Eventually you’ll need a new upper control arm, but the DIY can stop the problem for an extended period of time (tens of thousands of miles).

but if it's warranty best not to touch it, else void.

Hi
I have a 2019 Model 3. It has just developed a squeak/groan from the front left when going over bumps and seems worse when moving the steering wheel.
Cheers
Just had the same thing in my 2018 M3LRRWD. loud squeaks on every bump and when I turn the steering wheel. Booked a service appointment with the app, seems like Tesla is familiar with this. 41,000 km on mine, still under warranty, estimate cost $0.00. Taking it in for parts replacement in 2 weeks, Will let you know how it works out.

Hi
Cheers
My 2018 M3LRRWD started squeaking 2 weeks ago. Loud squeaks on every bump and when I turn the steering wheel. I booked a service appt. with the app, seems like Tesla is familiar with this problem. I am taking it in for parts replacement Aug 31, under warranty. will let you know how it goes.

mine is 100% from the drivers side door as when i slam the door closed it stops, if i simply close it softly it will squeak the entirety of that drive :( :(
Front upper control arm ball joint noise, known issue. Some entire UCA are replaced under warranty as they are not serviceable, pre-emptive silicone sealing on top of the ball joint by service before noises appear (doesn't work in my opinion or in my case, traps more dirt on top of UCA). Claimed successful DIY remedies; a) injection of 5-10ml of quality grease into ball joint rubber boot, or b) remove wheel and ball joint king pin and "exercise" ball joint to "move" existing grease into joint. Grease injection into the boot has so far worked for me

mine is 100% from the drivers side door as when i slam the door closed it stops, if i simply close it softly it will squeak the entirety of that drive :( :(
Could be the dash trim rubbing. Try holding firm pressure on different parts of the dash when it squeaks to see if that stops the noise, I've had that problem too. Mine was (is) at the woodgrain/silver/black trim interface between door and steering wheel - worse when the heater is on expanding bits I guess.

Last edited: