Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaking from back seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have the second row seat squeak. I've noticed that it's worse the colder it is outside. If it's a warm day, the squeak disappears. If it's particularly cold, the squeak is nonstop. Is it the same for you, Solidz?

Also I'd like to request that for the people saying "I have this problem" or "I got my squeak fixed," please be specific about what seat configuration you have. In my case, I have a 7 seat X with the fold-flat second row.

I know this one!!

I had the same squeaking and had a mobile service tech come out to fix it. He showed me exactly what it was and said it was not uncommon. If the bolts that attach the second row seats to the floor of the car aren’t perfectly centered, they rub against the edge of the screw hole, causing the squeak. To reproduce it, sit in the second row and shift your weight around.

The fix was unbolting the seat from the floor and re-centering the bolts before screwing the seats back down. No more squeak!!

Great suggestion, I will have to check these bolts. I also had an annoying squeak from the rear right side and I sort of fixed it by wedging a thick hard rubber piece between the floor and the lower seat frame on the back side. Initially it helped but sometimes, on rarer occasions, I still hear a little mouse from there.

I will check the bolts too.

Screenshot_1.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
Update: so after trying everything that been suggested and nothing working - I finally found the source of the problem. It was hard to locate it at first because it didn’t happen every time. But I was certainly annoying as hell when I happened.

I was able to isolate the source of sound to the the bottom of middle back seat ( 7 seater). When I pushed on it with some force I was able to reproduce it. The time it made the most noise was when I was driving with that seat unoccupied.

so finally took it to SC. They took the middle seat out and found a “small gap between the floor board and the steel plate?” There was nothing wrong with the bolt itself. So they placed more foam padding and we were no longer able to reproduce the noise.
And thus far, I thankfully haven’t hear any squeaks on the way home.

hope this info helps some of you out there. I’m still happy with the car. Happier now that this annoying noise is gone.

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-11_14-24-26.jpeg
    upload_2020-3-11_14-24-26.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 58
  • upload_2020-3-11_14-24-26.png
    upload_2020-3-11_14-24-26.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Informative
Reactions: VikH
Hi Solidz75,

I had the (I think) the same squeaking in my 2018 X 7 seater...
In my case the seat material was touching the Falcon Wing Door...
I have attached a picture of the contact area...
View attachment 518245

Many things were tried...
Krytox lubricant... Teflon tape... Adhesive felt pad...
The felt pad is in place now and the door is quiet.

Shawn
I also had a squeak on the passenger side of my 2017 7 seater, with the seat hitting the falcon wing door. Temporary fix was to move the seat forward slightly. It only hit in the full back position. Long term fix from SC. They adjusted something but I do not know what. Seat does not touch falcon wing door and no squeak.