Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaking from back seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New 2020 LR X 7 seat owner here. I have been noticing squeaking noise from second row seats while driving. It sounds like sneakers squeaking on the floor. It seems occurs with every vibration and gets to be quite annoying.

But the thing is, it doesn’t happen every time I drive. But when it does occur, it is loudest when no one is sitting in the back. I

I’m going to be taking it for service next week but fear that if I can’t reproduce it there, it won’t get fixed. Tried searching for answers on this site to no avail. Anyone have any idea? Much appreciated in advance.

Search out a stretch of road in the immediate area of the Service Center on which the issue can be consistently re-produced. Then, take the mechanic with you (in the passenger seat), drive to that stretch of road so he can listen to the squeaking.

My new 2020 X has no squeaks or rattles at all. Got 6000km on it by now and the car is rock solid.
You did not leave your Kid's squeaky toy in the second row éh?

Reactions: theonetheonly
Hi Solidz75,

I had the (I think) the same squeaking in my 2018 X 7 seater...
In my case the seat material was touching the Falcon Wing Door...
I have attached a picture of the contact area...
Tesla Passenger.jpg

Many things were tried...
Krytox lubricant... Teflon tape... Adhesive felt pad...
The felt pad is in place now and the door is quiet.

Shawn

Reactions: Solidz75
Search out a stretch of road in the immediate area of the Service Center on which the issue can be consistently re-produced. Then, take the mechanic with you (in the passenger seat), drive to that stretch of road so he can listen to the squeaking.

My new 2020 X has no squeaks or rattles at all. Got 6000km on it by now and the car is rock solid.
You did not leave your Kid's squeaky toy in the second row éh?

I wish this squeak was consistent. But it doesn’t happen everytime. That is what makes it maddening to figure out.

So It doesn’t matter what road I am on. The squeaking seems pretty random.

The car otherwise is great. But that squeaking is driving me nuts

Hi Solidz75,

View attachment 518245

Shawn

thanks for the pics. I will try what you did. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Hi Solidz75,

View attachment 518245

Shawn

Shawn,

Did you ever talk to the Service rep about this? Is this a design problem that we just need to live with? The falcon wing doors should not be touching the seats no?

Hi Solidz75,

I am very far from many Service Centers - Michigan by law cannot have them... (Recently changed after Tesla sued Michigan)
This was a known problem but only for certain cars.
Mine is a March 2018 build. There is a service bulletin on this 32599.
I think they remove the seat and shave some plastic from it.
They did not do this to mine.
Ranger service tried the Krytox lubricant, I tried teflon tape, and I am currently using felt
with an adhesive to cover the area that touches... Mine is quiet for now...

Shawn

Hi Solidz75,

I am very far from many Service Centers - Michigan by law cannot have them... (Recently changed after Tesla sued Michigan)
This was a known problem but only for certain cars.
Mine is a March 2018 build. There is a service bulletin on this 32599.
I think they remove the seat and shave some plastic from it.
They did not do this to mine.
Ranger service tried the Krytox lubricant, I tried teflon tape, and I am currently using felt
with an adhesive to cover the area that touches... Mine is quiet for now...

Shawn

Shawn, so it does look like the passenger side rear seat on my x touches the wing door when it’s closed like you showed on your pic. The driver side doesn’t. I presume the seat is not supposed to touch the wing door when it’s closed?

I will try the foam felts. But perhaps I should make the service center fix it permanently if this is the culprit? Not sure if it’s worth the trouble.

New 2020 LR X 7 seat owner here. I have been noticing squeaking noise from second row seats while driving. It sounds like sneakers squeaking on the floor. It seems occurs with every vibration and gets to be quite annoying.

But the thing is, it doesn’t happen every time I drive. But when it does occur, it is loudest when no one is sitting in the back. I

I’m going to be taking it for service next week but fear that if I can’t reproduce it there, it won’t get fixed. Tried searching for answers on this site to no avail. Anyone have any idea? Much appreciated in advance.

My 2018 had a squeak in the rear seat when I first got it. The service center completely removed and reinstalled it. I think they also put in some other padding, but I’m not sure. No squeaks since.

I know this one!!

I had the same squeaking and had a mobile service tech come out to fix it. He showed me exactly what it was and said it was not uncommon. If the bolts that attach the second row seats to the floor of the car aren’t perfectly centered, they rub against the edge of the screw hole, causing the squeak. To reproduce it, sit in the second row and shift your weight around.

The fix was unbolting the seat from the floor and re-centering the bolts before screwing the seats back down. No more squeak!!

• Helpful
Reactions: outie and cucubits
MY SC fixed it. Copied the invoice for reference.
---------------------------
Concern: C/S 2nd row middle seat is noisy

Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Interior NVH General Diagnosis
Lubricated seat bases - seats no longer squeak when moving. Movement currently present
is within spec for monopost seats