Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaking Suspension Over Bumpy Roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took delivery of our Performance Y in May.

Last month, when going over any slightly bumpy surface at 40mph+, it developed this high pitched squeaking. Sounds like it coming from the drivers side front wheel well.

Service center has no idea and won’t fix it unless reproduced at low speeds on the roads around their center. Problem is, the roads around there are super smooth.

You can sort of hear it going over a spread bump at low speeds, but the *thunk* of the rest of the car drowns it out.

Here’s a short YouTube video I uploaded, turn up the volume and you can hear the sound:
YouTube Video of Squeaking

Any idea what it could be so I can direct the service center? Or fix it myself?

We took delivery of our Performance Y in May.

Last month, when going over any slightly bumpy surface at 40mph+, it developed this high pitched squeaking. Sounds like it coming from the drivers side front wheel well.

Service center has no idea and won’t fix it unless reproduced at low speeds on the roads around their center. Problem is, the roads around there are super smooth.

You can sort of hear it going over a spread bump at low speeds, but the *thunk* of the rest of the car drowns it out.

Here’s a short YouTube video I uploaded, turn up the volume and you can hear the sound:
YouTube Video of Squeaking

Any idea what it could be so I can direct the service center? Or fix it myself?
Di You fix?
I have the same noise

No shop would, or should, begin attempting any repair until they're confident they've diagnosed the offending part(s).

Sadly, an intermittent noise is the hardest to diagnose. You'll just have to wait until it gets worse!!

(PS: I couldn't hear anything wrong in the OP's original video post.)

Hard to say without hearing it in person or in a video. Search Model 3 squeaking suspension - probably a similar, known issue. In the 3, the problem is the ball joint on the upper control arm dries out and starts squeaking. The solution is to replace the control arm or a do-it-yourself fix that involves injecting grease into the ball joint. I’ve done the DIY fix a few times since our cars are out of warranty.