TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Squeaking while driving after wash

Discussion in 'Model S' started by fasteddie7, Nov 10, 2016.

1. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

We had a bad rain last night and I drove through some thick mud and gravel near my house. My wheels and wells were caked this morning so I drove slowly to a nearby car wash and sprayed the mud off with the washer. For a few miles I could hear the remaining rocks and mud come out of places it must have been stuck. It sounded like a rubbing sound for a few miles then it quit. Now there is a high pitched squeaking noise at low speeds and when turning the wheel from the front driver's wheel. Tesla service didn't seem too concerned and it has been slowly fading as i drive. I'm going to let it dry in the sun fit a few hours and try driving again. Can a rock or gravel get lodged anywhere under there to do damage and has anyone else heard squeaking after washing their wheels and wells? It's not the brakes since I hear it during acceleration also.

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

FWIW ... I once had a small stone in the front area between the rotor and the shield ... sucker would not come out till I broke out a screw driver and worked it through until is came out.

3. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

I was just worried about some damage to the mechanical under workings not paint or anything. I live 196 miles from a service center so I was over the phone with Tesla service they didn't seem to think a rock could really damage anything under there in the wheel well, but I thought I'd ask here as the rubbing and squeaking made me nervous

4. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

There's definitely a squeaking noise while I accelerate and decelerate. Could it be the chemicals or soap in the line at the spray and wash?

5. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Eddie! Remember that above all else, she is a lady! The loveliest lady at that. Not an F150 brute. Although I have pushed mine also...

So expect a few complaints from such a beauty queen.:rolleyes:

And your avatar is awesome.

• Like x 1
  6. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

It turned out it was two stones caught in my rotors. Whew.