Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaking wipers from day 1 - worth bringing in to service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I wanna ask for some advice on what I should do with my model S's wipers which squeak (almost like scratching against glass but it's not leaving any marks) when used, ever since I picked it up in December. Given that people generally complain about Tesla service delays nowadays, I wonder if I should just fix it myself. Anybody got similar experience? Thanks!

I'd say just drop by the service dept. when it's not "busy" (i.e., in the mornings when tons of people drop off their cars before they head to work). Or on Saturday (if it's open) and just mention the issue to them. They would either fix it on the spot or set you up with an appointment.

I've had my car for just over three years on the wet coast and my wipers are smooth as silk. I've had them replaced each year on the service plan. I'm sure when the plan is up and I replace them myself, they'll squeak like those on my other vehicles. I drove home tonight from my cabin and from the Hope supercharger to home the downpours were torrential for much of the way. The problem I have with my wipers is that when on high speed they go over the edge of the window on the driver's left side and make a whacking noise each time they do. On lower speeds, they stay within the window and there's no issue. It's annoying but I use high speed only infrequently so not really a concern.

I went to the SC today, told them about my wiper issue, they immediately put new wipers on (which i thought wouldn't do much since the car is only 2 weeks old)... but to my surprise they are now perfect. I was surprised to learn today that I do not know everything;)

It's worth checking what type of wiper blades are used. My first Model S came with lousy wipers which smeared and streaked. Following advice from other Tesla owners, I replaced the factory-supplied wiper blades with Bosch blades and the problem was gone. Tesla later switched to using the Bosch blades themselves - at least, for European cars - so we no longer have to buy our own blades. I'm not sure what they do for US models, however.

Tesla later switched to using the Bosch blades themselves - at least, for European cars - so we no longer have to buy our own blades. I'm not sure what they do for US models, however.

Same for Canada and likely the US too - from my service invoice:

WIPER BLADE ASSEMBLY - PASSENGER SIDE (1051496-00-A) 1 WIPER BLADE ASSEMBLY - DRIVER SIDE - BOSCH 700MM MODEL S LEFT HAND DRIVE (1051495-00-A) 1