Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaks, Rattles and Sound-Deadening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The heat/sound insulation padding is called Bonded Logic and you can buy it lots of places. It's made from recycled cotton and weighs almost nothing. I think I got a large roll of it and sent some home with dhrivnak. Here's one source:
Bonded Logic

Now that we're having real winter - drove my car at -22 F the other morning - I can say the added insulation makes a noticeable difference keeping the car warmer, not just quieter.

Henry, I think I will have to do this. It is so cold up here, the heater can't quite keep up with the cold at the level of my toes! I also have to keep remembering to keep the climate control on the recirculate mode so we aren't trying to warm up the minus zero outside air!

DJ

I unfortunately have NO idea. But it never hurts to ask. But if by chance you ruin your liners I will send you mine for the cost of boxing and shipping. I have the old pair that came out when they put in the fabric liners.

That's very generous of you- thanks. Actually, I already ruined my passenger side liner when I had to take it out to do the HID installation :) The liner cracked when I was trying to pry it out with a long screwdriver.
Let me first check with Tesla if they will sell me the fiber liners. If not, I may take you up on your offer!

I found this on Tesla's website.
http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/images/upgrades/interiorsoundreduction.jpg

I'm going to call them and see if they will sell the NVH parts separately so I can do a self-install or have it
installed by a 3rd party.

First time I'm quoting myself :)
Bad news...I called the Fremont HQ who did some research and then sent me to Palo Alto.
The parts for the noise reduction kit are no longer in stock and are not available for order either.
I spoke to a technician who used to do the upgrades and he said they used Dynamat + Dynamat liner
for interior upgrades and a carpet-fiber coated liner for the wheel wells.

So, if you have the upgrade, hold on to it tightly and treat the liners nicely :)

For those of you interested in this project, we are just getting started. Some semi-technical background is written up nicely here:
Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown

The gist is that there are two main components of noise that are relatively easily controlled among the several:

VH noise: vibration and harshness. These are due to harmonics of metal plates vibrating at various frequencies. The main observation is that you add mass at key points on the metal which damps the oscillation amplitude.
You don't need 100% coverage. In fact, anything over 30% is overkill in most cases. Add damping on metal as needed - Dynamat is a form of damping
However, that only addresses one component of noise.

A somewhat larger noise component is airborne noise. That is addressed by Mass Loaded Vinyl.
For this we need Dynaliner on top of Dynamat. Dynaliner is imperfect for this but it is lighter than true MLV which weighs 1lb or more per sq ft and would add 50lbs of weight if done right on the Roadster.
Instead we add Dynaliner everywhere inside: floors, doors, back firewall.
You want to achieve 100% coverage.

The third and fourth components of sound deadening (contact points and absorption) are addressed in the link above. It's a bit impractical on the Roadster but if one wanted perfection, one could do it :)