Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaky brakes Issue! Need help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need help! I've seen many threads about squeaky brakes and none of them are working "permanently" on my Model 3

Issue: when driving at slow speeds, I'm talking rolling or going less than 5 miles the driver side squeaks very loud.

What I've done so far: sped up real fast and brake.. This seems to work temporarily and when I mean temporarily I'm talking only works for that drive then when I don't use the car for a couple of hours it's back. 2nd thing I've done is clean the rotors, took the brake pads out and lubed up the necessary areas as well as the calipers, used break cleaner parts to spray rotors and other areas. Put the break pads back and it seem like I just made the dang thing worse. 3rd thing I did was check to see if there's any loose debri in the rotor cover moved that back and forth for about 10-15 min and nothing came out. Now I'm all out of options. I have a scheduled appt to have my car checked out in two weeks but I feel like I shouldn't have to. Any thoughts!??

Perform a few slow downs(one after another) from highway speeds with 80% pedal pressure. If your rotors are still shinny after this, do it again. You may need to do it at higher speeds and/or with higher pedal pressure. Rotors should be look dull/gray/purple.

This did the trick!!!! Thank You!!!! I saw on another thread that some shops use an angle grinder with a 50 grit.... and I did the same thing. No more squeaks! I did notice that there was a glaze after you mentioned it and sure enough when I removed it, I didn't hear anything!
Excellent. Glad it worked. I've had to do this on more than one vehicle. It can return if they glaze up again. The cadillac we had, it came back in about 18 months. I sanded/ scuffed the glaze off that thing 3 times over the years. The final fix (on that caddy) was a set of slotted rotors. The slots can help prevent glazing. If it comes back sooner than later, just do it again but you may have to deglaze the pads too. Scuff the pads by hand LIGHTLY! Both surfaces can glaze causing noise.

Excellent. Glad it worked. I've had to do this on more than one vehicle. It can return if they glaze up again. The cadillac we had, it came back in about 18 months. I sanded/ scuffed the glaze off that thing 3 times over the years. The final fix (on that caddy) was a set of slotted rotors. The slots can help prevent glazing. If it comes back sooner than later, just do it again but you may have to deglaze the pads too. Scuff the pads by hand LIGHTLY! Both surfaces can glaze causing noise.
You're the man! I was just looking at slotted rotors too, just in case this thing came back sooner than expected. But if it lasts me 18months like yours I think I'll be fine with doing a little maintenance from time to time.

I have the same issue. Taken it to the service center multiple times and service center seems to not be capable or interested in solving the issue. Service center states that cold weather could be causing the issue, but I have had the car since 2018 without the squeaking. Service center also stated that replacing the breaks could be a possible fix but the noise could return.

Has anybody else found a possible solution?

I have the same issue. Taken it to the service center multiple times and service center seems to not be capable or interested in solving the issue. Service center states that cold weather could be causing the issue, but I have had the car since 2018 without the squeaking. Service center also stated that replacing the breaks could be a possible fix but the noise could return.

Has anybody else found a possible solution?
Find a decent capable mechanic/shop to remove the glazed surface from the rotors and pads.
Its the best recommendation I can give. Yes replacing them will also fix it too, but why replace at a much higher cost than having a decent shop remove the glazed surface. Yes there is still labor involved in doing it but no parts needed (unless you obviously need the brakes replaced) You will find some shops won't do it because they just want to replace everything (they make more money) That squeaking brake thing can be irritating and embarrassing. Good luck to you.

Find a decent capable mechanic/shop to remove the glazed surface from the rotors and pads.
Its the best recommendation I can give. Yes replacing them will also fix it too, but why replace at a much higher cost than having a decent shop remove the glazed surface. Yes there is still labor involved in doing it but no parts needed (unless you obviously need the brakes replaced) You will find some shops won't do it because they just want to replace everything (they make more money) That squeaking brake thing can be irritating and embarrassing. Good luck to you.
Never once had a customer request such a service.

To OP:
If it's not faulty pads then it's possible the pads weren't properly bedded in with the rotors when new.
It's understandable since we hardly need to brake with regen doing majority of slowing the car down.

I would suggest the trying to bed in your brakes again in a safe environment. Best to do so at night on a long straight with no cars around you.
Accelerate up to 60 mph and slow down to 5mph (Do not come to a complete stop) and repeat the process 4-5 times in succession each time braking a little firmer than the last.

Best of luck