Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaky brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My DS told me this and it worked!! I was amazed. No more squeaky brakes when I back out in the morning. I braked 50 mph to 20 mph 20 times with a little bit of rest in between so the brakes didn't get too hot. Make sure you have enough charge....I think I ended at 700 wh/mile. I did it at midnight with no one around.

<<There are a couple of reasons that brakes usually squeal. One reason is dust that builds up on the brakes because the regen system is so strong on Teslas, the normal brakes are hardly used. The other reason, and the most likely cause for your squealing, is that they are not broken in. For the brakes, we recommend burnishing them (breaking them in.) This can take a while and you’ll need to be patient. You may also want to turn the regenerative braking to low while doing this. There are a lot of websites that walk you through the process of burnishing them. This is an example of one: Disc Pad Break In >>

After 8200 miles still squeaking. Had the brake burnishment treatment from Tesla and they still squeak super loud when it's cold (50F ish or after rain). I've been told there is a rotor upgrade that stops this problem. Schedule to be handle on 3/29.

If the rotors get wet, such as in the rain or during washing, they will rust slightly. This causes them to squeak loudly until the rust is removed by applying the brakes semi-hard a couple of times. It'll happen to any car, but is more pronounced on a Tesla because of the regenerative braking reducing the usage of the regular brakes.

My MX, which was delivered 10 days ago, has a very loud and very embarrassing front right brake squeak, more like a screech, and after a 30 drive to and from work, does not go away. It has about 400 miles on it so far. I'm thinking of taking out the pads and putting that disc quiet goop on the back of the pads. Taking the car to the nearest SC is a royal pain in the you know what since it's about 65 miles away, day off work and all that! Anyone tried this to stop the brake disc noise?

Mine squeak, but it goes away after 15 min. SC said that MX had a software update a while back which automatically modulated the brakes while you drive to warm them up, and that's why the squeaking goes away. Not sure what is causing your issue.

On another note, I had a Model S loaner and the brakes squeaked so bad you could hear it from a block away. It was absolutely horrendous! Couldn't give the car back to them fast enough.