Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaky /creaky driver's seat issue identified

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tl;dr Sharing for people with the same issue: M3 driver's seat squeak is due to misaligned/rubbing seat rails. Proper fix is properly align the rails, less ideal/maybe temporary fix is add grease.

I've had an annoying creaking noise in the driver side seat that seems to come and go in my 2022 M3LR. It seems to be the loudest at low speed when taking corners, and occasionally I could get it to creak when stopped by just moving back and forth in the seat. I took it into service and SC said they adjusted the frame rails and reinstalled the seat, but it didn't help. I agreed that it was likely the frame rails though, since moving the seat forward or backward even just a hair, and then restoring the seat position would quiet the noise for 5-10 mins. The only thing moving would be the seat in the frame rails.

Tesla's next attempt to fix it was with mobile service, who decided it was my aftermarket rear floor mats that were causing the issue. This is ludicrous; the sound is too loud to be cause by rubber floor mats, it's a very metallic noise, and why would moving the seat forward backward fix it temporarily? The service rep was useless and had no explanation for these points. He even gave me the "some amount of noise is normal" BS.

Next I tried to diagnose the issue myself. And I'm kicking myself for not looking at this earlier, because the problem was extremely easy to find. I first noticed that the paint on the inside of the lower rail on the was worn off on both sides of the driver's set. (The passenger side rails show no sign of scraped off paint) This implies that the driver's side fixed rails on the floor are too wide or the seat rails are too narrow. As a result of this alignment issue, the two rails rub where they shouldn't be making contact, and create the noise.

Here is a view picture of the driver's side, left side rail, looking from the back seat.

1651430459581.png

I was actually able to pull the back of the seat enough to get it to squeak and get video (skip to 20s to see the rubbing movement):

I confirmed this was the spot making noise by taking a bit of 3 in 1 oil and drizzling it in where it says "rubbing here" in the photo above, but making sure not to adjust the seat since this can artificially quiet the noise. Oil make the squeak immediately went away. My guess is the oil won't last long; a heavier grease might fix it permeably or at least for a long time. But I'm tempted to make Tesla readjust the rails or even replace the seat, since the wear shows that something is out of adjustment. Thoughts?

Regardless, hopefully this post might help someone in the future with the same issue.

I had the same issue. Got a creaking noise whenever I accelerated/braked quickly. At home service lubed the seat. That worked for a day. It came back and I brought into service. Got a loaner for the day and car was ready by end of day. They tightened the bolts on the track and re-lubed. Worked for about a week and came back even worse. Made noise when I moved in my seat. Brought into service once more. Got another loaner. They replaced the seat same day. Problem is gone and its been a month. Tesla service is a G-d send. I got the car three months ago.... I get it, some cars need repairs off the bat. Some minor, some major. My lexus needed a brand new drive shaft within first year. Telsa service rivals all others. I remember going to lexus, being on phone for 15 minutes to make appointment, waiting at dealership for close to hour to talk to service rep, and then no chance of loaner. Having the opportunity to make appointments and adjustments all on app and then the service center taking me in right away was a breeze. Both times I dropped off the loaner at a drop off garage and parked it next ot my car. The loaner even linked to my phone and delinked once the loaner was dropped off automatically. Tesla has sure got their *sugar* together. Im proud to say I love my Tesla so much, I love it even when it brakes. BTW, my first loaner was a Model S with ludcaris + mode. Holy smokes. My second loaner was a 3 with FSD. That was fun for the day.

I just found this thread as I’m dealing with this with my 2022 MYP. I already had the seat replaced once for the issue. When I brought it in initially they tightened the bolts and said it was good to go. I sat in it, drove around the lot, took the service manager with me and they brought it back in. They replaced the entire driver’s seat and that fixed it for about 6 months. It just started up last week again and I’m too busy to deal with another service appt as it’s an hour each way + time. I sprayed white lithium grease along the rails and will see how this works.

I been having this same issue for months, took it once they changed they entire seat and after some months it came back, now left my car again on service for the same issue, crazy that a car so expensive to have so many noises
I am sure our Teslas are not "so expensive" cars now.
Also, these kind of issues just don't stop happening with the expensive cars

I had the same issue on my 2023 MYLR. Here’s how I stopped it: Sit in the seat. Use the flat/horizontal seat adjuster to raise the seat base as high as it will go, so there is no height adjustment left to take. Then on the screen press “Restore” to return to your saved seat setting. No more creak.