Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaky /creaky driver's seat issue identified

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tl;dr Sharing for people with the same issue: M3 driver's seat squeak is due to misaligned/rubbing seat rails. Proper fix is properly align the rails, less ideal/maybe temporary fix is add grease.

I've had an annoying creaking noise in the driver side seat that seems to come and go in my 2022 M3LR. It seems to be the loudest at low speed when taking corners, and occasionally I could get it to creak when stopped by just moving back and forth in the seat. I took it into service and SC said they adjusted the frame rails and reinstalled the seat, but it didn't help. I agreed that it was likely the frame rails though, since moving the seat forward or backward even just a hair, and then restoring the seat position would quiet the noise for 5-10 mins. The only thing moving would be the seat in the frame rails.

Tesla's next attempt to fix it was with mobile service, who decided it was my aftermarket rear floor mats that were causing the issue. This is ludicrous; the sound is too loud to be cause by rubber floor mats, it's a very metallic noise, and why would moving the seat forward backward fix it temporarily? The service rep was useless and had no explanation for these points. He even gave me the "some amount of noise is normal" BS.

Next I tried to diagnose the issue myself. And I'm kicking myself for not looking at this earlier, because the problem was extremely easy to find. I first noticed that the paint on the inside of the lower rail on the was worn off on both sides of the driver's set. (The passenger side rails show no sign of scraped off paint) This implies that the driver's side fixed rails on the floor are too wide or the seat rails are too narrow. As a result of this alignment issue, the two rails rub where they shouldn't be making contact, and create the noise.

Here is a view picture of the driver's side, left side rail, looking from the back seat.

1651430459581.png

I was actually able to pull the back of the seat enough to get it to squeak and get video (skip to 20s to see the rubbing movement):

I confirmed this was the spot making noise by taking a bit of 3 in 1 oil and drizzling it in where it says "rubbing here" in the photo above, but making sure not to adjust the seat since this can artificially quiet the noise. Oil make the squeak immediately went away. My guess is the oil won't last long; a heavier grease might fix it permeably or at least for a long time. But I'm tempted to make Tesla readjust the rails or even replace the seat, since the wear shows that something is out of adjustment. Thoughts?

Regardless, hopefully this post might help someone in the future with the same issue.

Having this same issue, thanks for the post.

Mine only has the paint scraping off on 1 side of the rail, and a little further back. When the seat is adjusted back, you can physically see the rail scraping some paint off, which leads me to believe the seat and/or rail is misaligned just slightly where it makes contact towards the back end of the rail. Other rail is fine, and the passenger seat is fine as well. The paint scrape is definitely an easy way to diagnose the issue.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to replicate the creak without driving it. Hopefully I don't have any arguments with service about fixing this issue especially under warranty (I legit have 400 miles on the car)

Having this same issue, thanks for the post.

Mine only has the paint scraping off on 1 side of the rail, and a little further back. When the seat is adjusted back, you can physically see the rail scraping some paint off, which leads me to believe the seat and/or rail is misaligned just slightly where it makes contact towards the back end of the rail. Other rail is fine, and the passenger seat is fine as well. The paint scrape is definitely an easy way to diagnose the issue.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to replicate the creak without driving it. Hopefully I don't have any arguments with service about fixing this issue especially under warranty (I legit have 400 miles on the car)
Update to the driver seat squeak.

I lowered my M3's PSI from 46 to 42 and the creak went away (or at least was not audible when in the driver's seat). This is likely a temporary band aid fix, but can be used to avoid going to the service center.

Going on a long road trip in a few weeks so will see how this holds up.

Update to the driver seat squeak.

I lowered my M3's PSI from 46 to 42 and the creak went away (or at least was not audible when in the driver's seat). This is likely a temporary band aid fix, but can be used to avoid going to the service center.

Going on a long road trip in a few weeks so will see how this holds up.
Oh that's weird, you think just because it makes the ride softer?

If you want to avoid going to a SC completely, the grease/oil solution does seem to work. But it might not last forever and obviously getting it replaced should be a permanent fix.

My driver seat is doing the exact same noise as in your video it is driving me nuts and just started very recently I actually called Tesla Service this morning and it was set up as a mobile service and they changed it to a shop visit so I have to wait a month I think I will save this thread though and show them what ended up fixing your problem?
Did they repair it for you or not? I went twice, the first time they repaired it again, but after a week the noise-came back and said you have to pay, my car is under warranty, and I didn't accept it. Now, if there are more noises , I have to complain to Tesla , Tesla's customer service is a unacceptable.

Has this happened to anyone else? My car has <5k miles on it and when I go to sit in the drivers seat you can hear it squeaking sounding like the noise is coming from the back of the seat. The squeaking noise gets louder when you accelerate from a stop, which is starting to get annoying now since I do a lot of city driving.

I have an afternoon appointment scheduled with Tesla next Friday to address this, I'm assuming this would be under warranty and would get a loaner car if they needed to keep it the following week to work on the car. I feel like and hoping that it can be done the same day if the Tesla techs just need to replace the seat or put some padding if something is rubbing. Anything I can do to address this issue?

Has this happened to anyone else? My car has <5k miles on it and when I go to sit in the drivers seat you can hear it squeaking sounding like the noise is coming from the back of the seat. The squeaking noise gets louder when you accelerate from a stop, which is starting to get annoying now since I do a lot of city driving.

I have an afternoon appointment scheduled with Tesla next Friday to address this, I'm assuming this would be under warranty and would get a loaner car if they needed to keep it the following week to work on the car. I feel like and hoping that it can be done the same day if the Tesla techs just need to replace the seat or put some padding if something is rubbing. Anything I can do to address this issue?

Maybe check this first... Fixed my squeaky seat (issue I haven't seen on the forums)

I have the exact problem too. Tesla wants to charge over 400 bucks beachside it’s not covered ‘squeaks’. Brand new car and everyone who rides n it gets to hear creaking . Sounds like the chair is going to fall off. I cannot believe they won’t fix this on their dime.

A bit of a disappointing result from my service visit. Went there, explained the issue again, just like in the app, they tested in all 3 positions of the seat and said they couldn't find anything abnormal. On the one hand they say they tried rocking the seat to find some play and found nothing and on the other hand the service technician tells me a bit of movement in the seat is acceptable. So they found it and thought it's not a biggie so decided no to fix. If it gets worse, then they will do something about it.
I'm very disappointed with the service. I understand they try avoiding spending money but this is something i feel every time i drive the car and it takes away all the enjoyment.

A bit of a disappointing result from my service visit. Went there, explained the issue again, just like in the app, they tested in all 3 positions of the seat and said they couldn't find anything abnormal. On the one hand they say they tried rocking the seat to find some play and found nothing and on the other hand the service technician tells me a bit of movement in the seat is acceptable. So they found it and thought it's not a biggie so decided no to fix. If it gets worse, then they will do something about it.
I'm very disappointed with the service. I understand they try avoiding spending money but this is something i feel every time i drive the car and it takes away all the enjoyment.
Yeah you really need to be able to duplicate the exact noise when you're showing them the car, which obviously is often just down to luck.

You could try moving the seat all the way back/forward and then pulling on the headrest from the back seat for more leverage and see if you can get it to reliably squeak like that? If all else fails, a bit of grease on those rails will shut it up at least for a few months, maybe longer.

Hello, I'm not sure if I updated this before but my issue has been resolved in the service center. It was a seat assembly. They had two guys working for about 2 hours to replace it. They had to remove the seat and etc. They also scratched my car inside and outside. I'll touch it up myself. Not a big deal but still.

Hello, I'm not sure if I updated this before but my issue has been resolved in the service center. It was a seat assembly. They had two guys working for about 2 hours to replace it. They had to remove the seat and etc. They also scratched my car inside and outside. I'll touch it up myself. Not a big deal but still.
can you specify which part of the seat assembly was having issues?

tl;dr Sharing for people with the same issue: M3 driver's seat squeak is due to misaligned/rubbing seat rails. Proper fix is properly align the rails, less ideal/maybe temporary fix is add grease.

I've had an annoying creaking noise in the driver side seat that seems to come and go in my 2022 M3LR. It seems to be the loudest at low speed when taking corners, and occasionally I could get it to creak when stopped by just moving back and forth in the seat. I took it into service and SC said they adjusted the frame rails and reinstalled the seat, but it didn't help. I agreed that it was likely the frame rails though, since moving the seat forward or backward even just a hair, and then restoring the seat position would quiet the noise for 5-10 mins. The only thing moving would be the seat in the frame rails.

Tesla's next attempt to fix it was with mobile service, who decided it was my aftermarket rear floor mats that were causing the issue. This is ludicrous; the sound is too loud to be cause by rubber floor mats, it's a very metallic noise, and why would moving the seat forward backward fix it temporarily? The service rep was useless and had no explanation for these points. He even gave me the "some amount of noise is normal" BS.

Next I tried to diagnose the issue myself. And I'm kicking myself for not looking at this earlier, because the problem was extremely easy to find. I first noticed that the paint on the inside of the lower rail on the was worn off on both sides of the driver's set. (The passenger side rails show no sign of scraped off paint) This implies that the driver's side fixed rails on the floor are too wide or the seat rails are too narrow. As a result of this alignment issue, the two rails rub where they shouldn't be making contact, and create the noise.

Here is a view picture of the driver's side, left side rail, looking from the back seat.

View attachment 799458

I was actually able to pull the back of the seat enough to get it to squeak and get video (skip to 20s to see the rubbing movement):

I confirmed this was the spot making noise by taking a bit of 3 in 1 oil and drizzling it in where it says "rubbing here" in the photo above, but making sure not to adjust the seat since this can artificially quiet the noise. Oil make the squeak immediately went away. My guess is the oil won't last long; a heavier grease might fix it permeably or at least for a long time. But I'm tempted to make Tesla readjust the rails or even replace the seat, since the wear shows that something is out of adjustment. Thoughts?

Regardless, hopefully this post might help someone in the future with the same issue.
Thank you so much!!

Reactions: ev_go123
Mobile service call and service center visits both failed to resolve the issue. Both were very convenient though. Mobile guy showed up and did his thing. SC, drop off was quick and left me with a loaner (model S, holy ludacris mode). Unfortunately it came back a week after SC visit. Will make another. Maybe third time is a charm….

Same problem, the squeaking creaking sound is constant, every time I accelerate, maneuver or brake. I keep the music loud so I don't lose my mind. I've been in for service 3 times, each time they've retorqued the bolts and sure enough within minutes and/or few miles it's back. I am bringing it back again next week. So far very unhappy with the quality of service.