Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaky /creaky driver's seat issue identified

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tl;dr Sharing for people with the same issue: M3 driver's seat squeak is due to misaligned/rubbing seat rails. Proper fix is properly align the rails, less ideal/maybe temporary fix is add grease.

I've had an annoying creaking noise in the driver side seat that seems to come and go in my 2022 M3LR. It seems to be the loudest at low speed when taking corners, and occasionally I could get it to creak when stopped by just moving back and forth in the seat. I took it into service and SC said they adjusted the frame rails and reinstalled the seat, but it didn't help. I agreed that it was likely the frame rails though, since moving the seat forward or backward even just a hair, and then restoring the seat position would quiet the noise for 5-10 mins. The only thing moving would be the seat in the frame rails.

Tesla's next attempt to fix it was with mobile service, who decided it was my aftermarket rear floor mats that were causing the issue. This is ludicrous; the sound is too loud to be cause by rubber floor mats, it's a very metallic noise, and why would moving the seat forward backward fix it temporarily? The service rep was useless and had no explanation for these points. He even gave me the "some amount of noise is normal" BS.

Next I tried to diagnose the issue myself. And I'm kicking myself for not looking at this earlier, because the problem was extremely easy to find. I first noticed that the paint on the inside of the lower rail on the was worn off on both sides of the driver's set. (The passenger side rails show no sign of scraped off paint) This implies that the driver's side fixed rails on the floor are too wide or the seat rails are too narrow. As a result of this alignment issue, the two rails rub where they shouldn't be making contact, and create the noise.

Here is a view picture of the driver's side, left side rail, looking from the back seat.

1651430459581.png

I was actually able to pull the back of the seat enough to get it to squeak and get video (skip to 20s to see the rubbing movement):

I confirmed this was the spot making noise by taking a bit of 3 in 1 oil and drizzling it in where it says "rubbing here" in the photo above, but making sure not to adjust the seat since this can artificially quiet the noise. Oil make the squeak immediately went away. My guess is the oil won't last long; a heavier grease might fix it permeably or at least for a long time. But I'm tempted to make Tesla readjust the rails or even replace the seat, since the wear shows that something is out of adjustment. Thoughts?

Regardless, hopefully this post might help someone in the future with the same issue.

I actually brought it in a second time and this time asked to do a ride along. We didn't go anywhere, I just showed them where the paint had rubbed off, showed them the video above and they said, ok no problem, we see what's wrong and we'll fix it for free. This was a different service center than the last that told me to pound sand, but honestly I think the difference is mostly who's working that day/how they feel. Anyway, car came back and they replaced the rails so I believe that problem is gone. I should go inspect it closer though.

HOWEVER, they seemed to have introduced a NEW seat noise. Sounds like a clunking whenever I rock back/forth in the seat, and I can actually physically feel the clunk in my seat. My guess is they didn't tighten something down properly and the rails are lifting off a bit. So back to the service center it goes. None of this inspires a lot of confidence in the quality of work done by the SC though...

Last edited:
Reactions: kvanriper
Mine was a creaking that came from the inside of the back part of the seat. Every time I turned or moved in the chair it would squeak. I found on some forum a solution and tried it and it work! Remove the head rest and drop down the back of the seat cover. there are two long metal poles, at the top of the poles are two black fittings. One was loose, popped out some how. It holds the metal rod centered, in place. without it, the rod moves around and creaks. So just pop the fitting back in, it was a little tough, but snapped hard in and all is good now.

Mine was a creaking that came from the inside of the back part of the seat. Every time I turned or moved in the chair it would squeak. I found on some forum a solution and tried it and it work! Remove the head rest and drop down the back of the seat cover. there are two long metal poles, at the top of the poles are two black fittings. One was loose, popped out some how. It holds the metal rod centered, in place. without it, the rod moves around and creaks. So just pop the fitting back in, it was a little tough, but snapped hard in and all is good now.
Any links to how to this ? I would like to check my seat for this, would really appreciate the instructions. Are we talking about this? Remove headrest and then the seat back? I might be missing a few steps.

Attachments

• 1DF6EC27-5D27-4CB7-8FC2-29A5AFB3AE84.jpeg
    1DF6EC27-5D27-4CB7-8FC2-29A5AFB3AE84.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 501
  • EE2AA381-E4EF-4F68-85A5-2305C2B990CE.jpeg
    EE2AA381-E4EF-4F68-85A5-2305C2B990CE.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
Found the instructions and some great pics info.

• Helpful
Reactions: Charly Jazz
There's something about these seats. My driver's seat makes a popping noise at times when I move. If I move the seat forward or back a tad it goes away but eventually comes back. If I recline the seat forward or back it goes away but eventually comes back. I feel if it was the rails it wouldn't go away by changing the recline so there's just something under the seat cushion making that popping noise that I can't put my finger on. I pulled the back off as shown in the photos and the grommets were properly attached.

There's something about these seats. My driver's seat makes a popping noise at times when I move. If I move the seat forward or back a tad it goes away but eventually comes back. If I recline the seat forward or back it goes away but eventually comes back. I feel if it was the rails it wouldn't go away by changing the recline so there's just something under the seat cushion making that popping noise that I can't put my finger on. I pulled the back off as shown in the photos and the grommets were properly attached.
If you figure out a seat configuration that can preproduce the noise to consistently, I'd recommend making a service request and then send them message a day or two before that you want a test drive with a tech. You don't need to actually drive it with them, but if you can demonstrate the noise to the service tech and how to duplicated it, they'll much more likely to fix it properly.

Unfortunately, there's no shortage of useless service reps and service advisors. That's something every automaker seems to have their share of.
This was a missed opportunity. Tesla missed the opportunity to change the customer experience when it comes to automotive care and service. Well, to be fair, it may have been different during the times of the Roadster. I would like to imagine back in the day they would on-board their technicians and give them proper training. Now, it seems that technicians come over from other dealerships and brands with little on-boarding if any at all.

What I am trying to say is that Tesla had an opportunity to change shop culture in their service centers, but missed the mark — or as some would say, "Dropped the ball." (pun intended).

P.S. - Always record your odometer reading. I had one of their knuckleheads (or associates) take my car out for a 30+ mile joy ride. "The body shop is just a mile down the road." they said. 🙄🤬

tl;dr Sharing for people with the same issue: M3 driver's seat squeak is due to misaligned/rubbing seat rails. Proper fix is properly align the rails, less ideal/maybe temporary fix is add grease.

I've had an annoying creaking noise in the driver side seat that seems to come and go in my 2022 M3LR. It seems to be the loudest at low speed when taking corners, and occasionally I could get it to creak when stopped by just moving back and forth in the seat. I took it into service and SC said they adjusted the frame rails and reinstalled the seat, but it didn't help. I agreed that it was likely the frame rails though, since moving the seat forward or backward even just a hair, and then restoring the seat position would quiet the noise for 5-10 mins. The only thing moving would be the seat in the frame rails.

Tesla's next attempt to fix it was with mobile service, who decided it was my aftermarket rear floor mats that were causing the issue. This is ludicrous; the sound is too loud to be cause by rubber floor mats, it's a very metallic noise, and why would moving the seat forward backward fix it temporarily? The service rep was useless and had no explanation for these points. He even gave me the "some amount of noise is normal" BS.

Next I tried to diagnose the issue myself. And I'm kicking myself for not looking at this earlier, because the problem was extremely easy to find. I first noticed that the paint on the inside of the lower rail on the was worn off on both sides of the driver's set. (The passenger side rails show no sign of scraped off paint) This implies that the driver's side fixed rails on the floor are too wide or the seat rails are too narrow. As a result of this alignment issue, the two rails rub where they shouldn't be making contact, and create the noise.

Here is a view picture of the driver's side, left side rail, looking from the back seat.

View attachment 799458

I was actually able to pull the back of the seat enough to get it to squeak and get video (skip to 20s to see the rubbing movement):

I confirmed this was the spot making noise by taking a bit of 3 in 1 oil and drizzling it in where it says "rubbing here" in the photo above, but making sure not to adjust the seat since this can artificially quiet the noise. Oil make the squeak immediately went away. My guess is the oil won't last long; a heavier grease might fix it permeably or at least for a long time. But I'm tempted to make Tesla readjust the rails or even replace the seat, since the wear shows that something is out of adjustment. Thoughts?

Regardless, hopefully this post might help someone in the future with the same issue.
Worth checking creaking is not from upper mounting of lumbar support inside seat. Was in my case, creaking at lower speeds, when rocking in seat, pressing on back pad of seat. To fix remove headrest, allow seat back to come off lumbar is yellow moulded plastic onto steel frame. Steel passes through 2 holes at top of seat frame. Can creak here, silicone grease did the job.

I used Lucas Oil 8OZ White Lithium Grease this weekend and the squeak immediately went away. We'll see how long it lasts, but I was glad to see it solved the problem, at least temporarily.
Did you put the grease inside the teeth. I put outside and it came back pretty quick. Pissing me off. Only happens when I get in the car and start accelerating

Reactions: timberlights
If I remember correctly, I aimed for the area where it looked like the paint had been scratched off by the seat movement.
Thank you, in my case, the paint looks awesome. I think it's because of the winter and dry heat it squeaks. This time, i will use a tiny brush to try and apply it inside the teeth.

Reactions: cbm3lr
Hi guys. My first post on this forum here as I just got a Model Y.

I have a similar problem with the driver's seat. It doesn't squeak, but when I accelerate even the slightest I feel the seat moving back just a tiny bit, maybe 1 mm. I notice this when driving in a queue of cars at the stop lights when you move just a bit and then brake again. When I lift my foot and the regen brakes the car and then accelerate again I feel it again. Also when I'm stopped and move back and forth on the seat it does the same thing - a small sliding movement back and forth that's very annoying, especially when you drive in slow moving traffic.
Do you guys think this is a warranty issue? Car is from Feb '22, and I got it in Dec '22. 18.000 km on the odo. at the moment

Thansk a lot,
Victor

Hi guys. My first post on this forum here as I just got a Model Y.

I have a similar problem with the driver's seat. It doesn't squeak, but when I accelerate even the slightest I feel the seat moving back just a tiny bit, maybe 1 mm. I notice this when driving in a queue of cars at the stop lights when you move just a bit and then brake again. When I lift my foot and the regen brakes the car and then accelerate again I feel it again. Also when I'm stopped and move back and forth on the seat it does the same thing - a small sliding movement back and forth that's very annoying, especially when you drive in slow moving traffic.
Do you guys think this is a warranty issue? Car is from Feb '22, and I got it in Dec '22. 18.000 km on the odo. at the moment

Thansk a lot,
Victor
Wonder if seat rails aren't screwed into the frame properly? I'd just make a SC appointment.