Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaky fan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine required SC visit. Did not have/notice the side floor vibration.

I just got my P85, last day in Sept 2014. Just started to hear the squeaking sound under the hood. It can be there when the compressor is on and especially when the fan winds down to turn off. I'll keep an ear out for it and see how often it happens.

Also, the reason I responded to this particular post was that I to notice a slight vibrating side floor. So the compressor fan fixes that vibration?

Can a ranger fix that problem or does it have to be fixed by a SC?

I seriously don't know how all these units are getting replaced. when i had mine serviced last week and they said they had no parts for it. When i asked if there's anyway i can get an eta as the issue existed from day 1. The response i got was a silent pause, "again, i don't have an eta for you nor do we have the parts right now..." what a service at costa mesa - kareem/karim.

unlike everyone's experience, mine was nothing like what was described on this forum or on tesla's, unfortunately.

I seriously don't know how all these units are getting replaced. when i had mine serviced last week and they said they had no parts for it. When i asked if there's anyway i can get an eta as the issue existed from day 1. The response i got was a silent pause, "again, i don't have an eta for you nor do we have the parts right now..." what a service at costa mesa - kareem/karim.

unlike everyone's experience, mine was nothing like what was described on this forum or on tesla's, unfortunately.

This might actually be a good sign. Perhaps they have identified an issue with their part supplier and are waiting for a reworked part that fixes the sqeeaking.

I'm under the impression from my current service issue that the service centers are left in the dark when it comes to parts availability. If they have a part, it's no big deal to get them to make repairs. On the other hand, if they don't have a part, it seems like all they can do is request the part, cross their fingers, and hope it shows up.

I got a call from a SC today probably because I posted here about a squeaky fan. This was my post. I have not heard the noise for at least a week. They said to keep an ear out for it.
I have to say I have been extremely impressed by any representative from Tesla that I have ever had any dealings with. Absolutely superb.

I just got my P85, last day in Sept 2014. Just started to hear the squeaking sound under the hood. It can be there when the compressor is on and especially when the fan winds down to turn off. I'll keep an ear out for it and see how often it happens.

Also, the reason I responded to this particular post was that I to notice a slight vibrating side floor. So the compressor fan fixes that vibration?

I have the same issue on mine. I had the issue with the passenger side and now BOTH are loud. Funny... They changed out BOTH about 2 weeks ago and the driver side is just super bad, even when running at any time I can hear it. The noise is totally related to the AC... if I switch that off - smooth and silent! Turn the AC back on and you start to hear it once again. I will keep everyone post as I go into the Fremont Service Center at 11:00 AM to get this resolved.

When I first bought my car, I had this noise occasionally when the fan was spinning down. This happened when the car was brand new. I ignored it for a while, and after about a month I never heard it again. I am at 35K miles and almost a year and half of ownership, and it still hasn't come back.

I have the same issue on mine. I had the issue with the passenger side and now BOTH are loud. Funny... They changed out BOTH about 2 weeks ago and the driver side is just super bad, even when running at any time I can hear it. The noise is totally related to the AC... if I switch that off - smooth and silent! Turn the AC back on and you start to hear it once again. I will keep everyone post as I go into the Fremont Service Center at 11:00 AM to get this resolved.

Same issue with me. I had both swapped and now the driver's side is waaaay worse than the one that got replaced. It took 2 days to start having the problem after it had been replaced.

I've had the same issue since day 1, and it is getting worse. At first you'd need to be within 20 or 30 feet to hear it. Now I can hear it from the opposite corner of the house from the garage if I remotely turn on and then off the A/C. I'd bet it is audible from 100+ feet outside. A couple people commented on it while at superchargers a few weeks ago. I am taking it in next week to be repaired along with the windshield wipers, washers, and non-functioning USB ports.

Last edited:
I've mostly given up on this. I've had the car since early 2013, and it's done this since day-1... Every available "fix" has been applied, and the fans have been replaced twice, the first replacement made it so bad that I could hear the car approaching from a block away. The second replacement was much better, but has since gotten worse and is now about the same as the beginning. They keep saying that a new, quieter, part should be coming soon, but it's been almost two years.

I've mostly given up on this. I've had the car since early 2013, and it's done this since day-1... Every available "fix" has been applied, and the fans have been replaced twice, the first replacement made it so bad that I could hear the car approaching from a block away. The second replacement was much better, but has since gotten worse and is now about the same as the beginning. They keep saying that a new, quieter, part should be coming soon, but it's been almost two years.
That is a little disappointing. I was hoping they could fix it during my annual service next week. now it sounds like it's a crap shoot as to whether it will actually be better or worse after they fix it.

Has anyone actually gotten it truly fixed?

That is really surprising. My low VIN 60 vibrated and you could hear the fan, it was really bad but Tesla did what they could to fix the vibration and noise and it worked. Just let them know and they will fix it. My new P85 his perfect, no noise or vibration.

- - - Updated - - -

My new P85 his perfect, no noise or vibration.

Damnit, knock on wood....knock knock.

Just mentioned it while getting some work done at Springfield, NJ and they said that other than lubricating the bearings nothing available yet. They did hear that the fans are getting completely re-designed but are not available quite yet.

Took my P85 in for this same problem, service center in Costa Mesa, CA said they are aware of this problem and Tesla will be releasing a new part number in Nov./Dec. for this.. they know its a problem with the existing part. Nov/Dec in Tesla time means sometime around November or December 2019-2022 I guess.