Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaky Hardtop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it has come that time of year in Tennessee to put the hard top back on. I noticed that I now have a squeak as the body flexes slightly that is annoying. Has anyone had that issue and has anyone found a solution? I have tried to apply some silicone spray lubricant and to reseat the hard top with no success. I do not remember the noise last spring but then the car was new and I did not have the sound dampening installed which makes minor noises louder. Thank you

Yep, I've had this. For me, it was an annoying squeak coming from the corner behind my right ear (right-hand-drive car).

I asked the rangers to look at it when they had the car for an unrelated problem. They supposedly took the hard top off, cleaned then sprayed silicone spray over the rear mountings, and put it back on.

That solved the problem for me.

Regards, Mark.

Hardtop went on 992 last week as well as rain/snow tires and yes there are a lot of new noises....... one that sounds like a omnious "creeeeekkk" that happens when ii press the accelerator or release it. Sounds like something needs oil (bad word I know) but not sure where it is............

one that sounds like a omnious "creeeeekkk" that happens when ii press the accelerator or release it.

I've started getting something like that recently - a squeak when the car transitions between light acceleration and light regen. Makes the most noise when I'm putting it in the garage.

It's intermittent, though, so I doubt it's anything major. I suspect something is rubbing when the motor rotates slightly on its mounts, due to applied torque. I'll ask my Ranger next time he's here.

Thank you for all the suggestions, but unfortunately I still have a slight creek. I did try more lubricant with a light coat of Vaseline and still the creek. I happened to talk to my Ranger and he said I could try a piece of felt, but also said it is a removable hardtop and it will creek. I picked up a piece of felt 3" wide for $1 and unfortunately it did not seem to help either.

It is not bad but just a minor annoyance.

Eberhard by chance do you use a thick coat of vaseline? Do you apply just to the pads on the hard top?

I tried silicone spray but no joy. Where exactly did you apply the lubricant? I sprayed it on the foam strips under the hard top in the back. Did you also do the front?

I sprayed the rear seal and rear pads on the hard top with silicone spray to no avail. I also tried a light coat of Vaseline on the rear pads, again to no avail. I did nothing to the front as it appears to be very quiet and I have a good weather tight seal. Why mess with a good thing? I plan to hold pat unless someone has a sure fix. I was not encouraged by the Ranger who indicated it is a "feature" of the removable top. I assume it is not good to take hard top on and off repeatedly. It has already been off 5 times as I have tried various things this past week.

Squeaky hardtop install

I just installed my hardtop for the first time since my initial purchase a year ago. When I got sideswiped the car was essentially out of commission for most of the cold weather here in Texas so i never got a chance to put it on.

The install was easy but the top "squeaks" right behind me on the drivers side! I loosened the Allen bolts and did a cross tighten like you would putting on a wheel of a car which helped. But after a quick 5 min drive its back to making noise.

I tried to email my previous service advisor but haven't gotten a response.

Anyone with a hardtop have any tips? What's the best number/email to reach someone at tesla now a days?

Last year my hard top squeaked annoyingly and I added silicone spray and some additional foam strips with only a minor improvement. So I was dreading putting the top on this year. But to my surprise no squeaks this year. I am not aware of anything different but mapby it was just never seated properly.

hmmm so I removed the hardtop as the weather is rapidly warming up here in Dallas.

After I got it off, there was an obvious spot on the CF rollbar (drivers side) that had rubbed enough to wear a bit threw the clear coat :cursing:

anyone with this issue? I sprayed the silicone judiciously over all the pads!